Netscape Messenger sharing for Win 98 and RH 7.1 Linux

Netscape Messenger sharing for Win 98 and RH 7.1 Linux

Post by rockba » Mon, 20 Aug 2001 21:48:49

Hi to all,

Just wanted to know if someone here found a way to hook up Netscape
Messenger (and the whole Netscape apps) so that I could read the same
mails, have same bookmarks, etc for both linux and win.

Please reply also by mail if possible.

Regards
rock

Post by Fabian Picc » Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:52:57

> Hi to all,
> Just wanted to know if someone here found a way to hook up Netscape
> Messenger (and the whole Netscape apps) so that I could read the same
> mails, have same bookmarks, etc for both linux and win.

I have done this with WinNT & RH 7.0, but I expect it will work the
same with Win98 & RH 7.1

First, start Messenger in the OS in which you have the larger mail
folders. Organize the folders and sub folders structure and then assign
the "Local Mail Directory" and "Newsgroups Directory" (menu bar 'Edit/
Preferences/Mail & Newsgroups' option) to a directory in a FAT volume
that can be viewed from both Linux and Windows.

Log out, shutdown and restart in the other operating system.

Start Messenger. If you have some unique messages here that you want
to keep, create a new, temporary mail folder and move all messages
into it.
Be sure that "Local Mail Directory" and "Newsgroups Directory" in the
Preferences setup points to different folders than the ones you have
entered when you were logged in the other OS; then delete all
personal mail folders (except the temporary one).
Close and restart Communicator.

Now, set the "Local Mail Directory" and "Newsgroups Directory" to
the same drive/folder you have used in the other OS.
Finally, create your personal folders again, with the same names
(case sensitive) you have used in the other OS.

You can now move the messages in the temporary folder to their
definitive personal folders and delete the temporary one.

From now onwards, every time you start Messenger in each OS, the
summary files for each mail folders will be updated automatically.

In Windows everything works OK, but in Linux there is a minor flaw:
The summary files for the mail folders in the windows version (named
*.snm) are shown in Linux as invalid mail folders. I haven't found a
way to fix this yet. Obviously, you shouldn't delete this invalid
folders in Linux because this will destroy the summary files for the
windows OS. Despite of this, everything will work OK.

Regarding the bookmarks, they are stored in a html file called
'bookmark.htm' in windows and 'bookmarks.html' in Linux. The only way
I've found to share bookmarks is to overwrite the older one with the
contents of the newer one and rename them accordingly.

Hope this will help you.
Fabian.

--

  ________________________

  Fabian G. Picca
  Cordoba, Argentina

  ________________________

1. Dualbooting a laptop Red Hat 7.1/Win 98 or ME

I'm very new to linux, and I'd like to switch over completely
(eventually), but at this point i need a machine that can dualboot.
I'm going to be using Redhat 7.1 w/KDE and either Windows 98 or ME (I
haven't decided yet- any input on that choice would be helpful). I'm
using a Compaq Presario 1279. Its got 64 mb RAM and a 4GB hard disk. I
have a Xircom CE-10 ethernet card (PCMCIA). Specifically, I need help
on how to format my hard disk. I know how to get my system operational
with either OS by itself, I need to know how to make them coexist. I'd
like to be able to access the windows partitions from linux and
vice-versa, if that's possible. I'd like Linux to boot by default and
have Windows boot by a lilo prompt.

2. OpenBSD 2.7 on a Quadra 610 network trouble

3. Total Beginner with RH Linux 6.1 + Win 98 preinstalled system

4. Can apache proxy in Linux use MS NT authentication ??

5. Linux /dir Not shared/seen on Win 98 using Samba

6. unabel to use pine,elm,lynx etc help !! (RedHat 2.1)

7. LINUX BOX to WIN 98 BOX sharing

8. How do I run a web server behind a modem/router on port 80.

9. win-98 > FTP > Linux rh 5.1

10. dualbooting Linux & Microsoft platforms (Win 98, NT, Win 2000)

11. Win 98 Win NT and Linux triple boot

12. New install of Linux, Win NT and Win 98 on same machine?

13. Internet connection sharing - Win '98 and SuSE