Will DOS Format Command Eat Linux Partition?

Will DOS Format Command Eat Linux Partition?

Post by Goldfis » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I'm running Linux and Win3.1 on another machine.  Linux works fine, but this
morning, Windoze went nuts and started creating hundreds of strangely, even
illegally named files before crashing completely. DOS still works, but since
it refuses to delete most of the strange files, chances of getting Windoze
back easily look a little bleak.  I'm hoping that if I run format c: that
will get rid of everything on the DOS partition.  I suspect, though, that it
will probably go on and wipe out Linux, too, although I have some faint hope
because DOS only thinks it has 500 MB and doesn't seem to know about the
other 5 1/2 gigs where Linux lives.  Anyway, does anybody know:
        a. if "format c:" will kill linux partitions, too?
        b. a sneaky and easy alternative way around this problem???

Thanks in advance.

John Carroll

Post by no_sp » Thu, 10 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running Linux and Win3.1 on another machine.  Linux works fine, but this
> morning, Windoze went nuts and started creating hundreds of strangely, even
> illegally named files before crashing completely. DOS still works, but since
> it refuses to delete most of the strange files, chances of getting Windoze
> back easily look a little bleak.  I'm hoping that if I run format c: that
> will get rid of everything on the DOS partition.  I suspect, though, that it
> will probably go on and wipe out Linux, too, although I have some faint hope
> because DOS only thinks it has 500 MB and doesn't seem to know about the
> other 5 1/2 gigs where Linux lives.  Anyway, does anybody know:
>         a. if "format c:" will kill linux partitions, too?

Assuming you have Linux on a seperate ext2 partition(ie. nothing funky),
a dos format won't hurt it any.

Quote:>         b. a sneaky and easy alternative way around this problem???

deltree everything, do an "attrib -H -S -R *.*" on c:\ and delete all
those old dos system files.

When you reinstall dos your LILO might get wiped out. Make sure you can
boot into Linux via a floppy so you can re-run /sbin/lilo

Mark

Will DOS Format Command Eat Linux Partition?

Post by Preston Lander » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

format c: in dos should only operate on the 500 mb dos partition.  If it
doesn't, then something is seriously broken on your computer...

Post by david kahan » Fri, 11 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> format c: in dos should only operate on the 500 mb dos partition.  If it
> doesn't, then something is seriously broken on your computer...

I third that. I have done it and had no ill effects. This is a high level
format and operates on the logical c: disk, which has only 500MB.