RPM problem

Post by Ben Beuchle » Tue, 27 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have this intermittent problem with the RPM program where it will
refuse to perform an installation and give me this error message:

failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

And sometimes it works...  I haven't been real pleased with RPM's
reliability all the way around.  Glint absolutely refuses to scan for
available RPMs...  No matter what directory I point it towards, it
starts to scan and then hangs.

Ah well...

Gracias,
Ben

RPM problem

Post by Michael W. Ry » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I have this intermittent problem with the RPM program where it will
> refuse to perform an installation and give me this error message:

> failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

> error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

Are you installing as root?  You need to be root in order to perform
an installation, update, or uninstallation.

Quote:> And sometimes it works...  I haven't been real pleased with RPM's
> reliability all the way around.  Glint absolutely refuses to scan for
> available RPMs...  No matter what directory I point it towards, it
> starts to scan and then hangs.

Glint isn't that great, and not very representative of what RPM can do
for you.  Are you sure it's* and not just trying to process a
directory with alot of RPMs?  Also, if you pointing it to an FTP site,
it can take a while.  Also, does the directory exist (check it with
the configure button).  Is the progress bar stopping when it "hangs".

--
Michael W. Ryan               | OTAKON Webmaster

http://www.veryComputer.com/~mryan/ | http://www.veryComputer.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF

RPM problem

Post by Jesper Christense » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I get the same message when I am not root and try to install RPMs.

--

aka THE HUMAN AUTOFIRE / BONZAI
Bonzai homiepage:                           http://welcome.to/bonzai/

RPM problem

Post by Jim Johnso » Wed, 28 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > I have this intermittent problem with the RPM program where it will
> > refuse to perform an installation and give me this error message:

> > failed to open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

> > error: cannot open //var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm

> Are you installing as root?  You need to be root in order to perform
> an installation, update, or uninstallation.

> > And sometimes it works...  I haven't been real pleased with RPM's
> > reliability all the way around.  Glint absolutely refuses to scan for
> > available RPMs...  No matter what directory I point it towards, it
> > starts to scan and then hangs.

> Glint isn't that great, and not very representative of what RPM can do
> for you.  Are you sure it's* and not just trying to process a
> directory with alot of RPMs?  Also, if you pointing it to an FTP site,
> it can take a while.  Also, does the directory exist (check it with
> the configure button).  Is the progress bar stopping when it "hangs".

> --
> Michael W. Ryan               | OTAKON Webmaster

> http://www.veryComputer.com/~mryan/ | http://www.veryComputer.com/

> PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF

I have the same problem with Glint. I have tried to load RPM's from a cd
and a floppy. With the cd it progress bar stopes about 80% of the way,
with the floppy it reads the disk and stoppes. I have been installing
them manualy and that seems to work but I would like to use Glint.
--
          Jim Johnson
AlliedSignal Engineering Laboratory

RPM problem

Post by Michael W. Ry » Thu, 29 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I have the same problem with Glint. I have tried to load RPM's from a cd
> and a floppy. With the cd it progress bar stopes about 80% of the way,
> with the floppy it reads the disk and stoppes. I have been installing
> them manualy and that seems to work but I would like to use Glint.

Hmm... I haven't seen this behavior in Glint, but then I don't use it
much (I find it isn't that informative about problems). What version
are you using?

--
Michael W. Ryan               | OTAKON Webmaster

http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

Post by Stev » Fri, 30 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Glint absolutely refuses to scan for

Quote:> > > available RPMs...  No matter what directory I point it towards, it
> > > starts to scan and then hangs.

pretty sure this is a bug in RH 5.1, there is an upgrade
available which will fix this.

Steve

1. RPM problems with apt and custom built courier rpms

This question concerns courier (www.courier-mta.org) and apt
(freshrpms.net).  Expect and Perl are installed via RPM and are the
most recent versions...

I build Courier-MTA rpms using rpmbuild -ta courier-0.42...  on my
development box.  I also use apt to keep my packages fresh.  However,
I receive the error below when I try to apt-get upgrade anything,
after
installing the courier rpms I've built.  I have tried specifying the
path to perl in courier.spec before building the packages.  Neither
Perl or Expect live at /usr/local/bin/perl under standard redhat
distributions.

/usr/bin/perl

Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
  courier: Depends: /usr/local/bin/perl but it is not installable
  courier-webmail: Depends: /usr/local/bin/expect but it is not
    installable
  Depends: /usr/local/bin/perl but it is not installable

I can install the rpms at the command line with no problems.  I've
issued a 'rpm --rebuilddb' but that didn't fix it.  I expect it's
something obvious, but I'm just not finding the answer.  I have
consulted the apt and courier mailling lists to no avail.

-Scott

2. User and passwd

3. RedHat RPM conflictsindex.rpm problem

4. DHCP and eth0 fail after 2.2.3

5. RedHat RPM triggerindex.rpm problem

6. Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 PCI S3 ViRGE 4MB SMRAM supported?

7. rpm problem, can't "rpm --rebuild"

8. HDD Help

9. Help rpm problem

10. RPM problems