COMMERCIAL: Caldera Ships Wabi 2.2 for Linux

Post by bill davids » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

| CALDERA SHIPS WABI 2.2 FOR LINUX
|
| New Version Provides Solid, Low-Cost Solution for Running
| Windows 3.1 Applications on Linux-based Workstations
|
| PROVO, Utah   November 18, 1996
|
| Caldera Inc. today shipped Wabi 2.2 for Linux. Caldera licensed and ported
| Sunsoft's Wabi technology to enable end users to run the most popular
| Windows 3.1 applications on Linux-based system software.

Two questions:

1 - will it run Word?
2 - will it run on Linux in general or only on the Caldera version?
--

  What do you mean I shouldn't do thing like that at my age?
  At my age if you don't do things like that you might die of natural causes!

COMMERCIAL: Caldera Ships Wabi 2.2 for Linux

Post by Mark Hamstr » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

Quote:> Two questions:

> 1 - will it run Word?
> 2 - will it run on Linux in general or only on the Caldera version?

One answer:

  Go to http://www.caldera.com and read the answers for yourself.

Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.

COMMERCIAL: Caldera Ships Wabi 2.2 for Linux

Post by Mark Hamstr » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >[snip]

> >> Two questions:

> >> 1 - will it run Word?
> >> 2 - will it run on Linux in general or only on the Caldera version?

> >One answer:

> >  Go to http://www.caldera.com and read the answers for yourself.

> >Mark Hamstra
> >Bentley Systems, Inc.

> Unfortunately the caldera web page does not answer these questions.

> 1. No list of tested Windows apps is presented. Obviously they can't
>    list everything, but something as common as Word ought to make a
>    small list of tested apps. For $200 I'd like to see something a
>    little more reassuring.

Please don't ask me to come over to your house and read this stuff to
you in person.  Just follow the links from Caldera to the SunSoft
Certified Application List (http://www.Sun.COM/solaris/products/
wabi/support/wabi2.0-apps/list.html) where you'll find plenty of
reassurance, including the words:

            Windows Applications That Are PCDI-Certified To
            Run Under Wabi 2.2 (PCDI is Personal Computer
            Desktop Integration, the part of Sun Microsystems
            that develops Wabi.)

            [...]

            Microsoft Word for Windows 6.0 (or 2.0)

Quote:> 2. Their blurb about Wabi 2.2 has references to both Caldera Linux
>    and just Linux. It isn't at all clear what is required to run
>    Wabi 2.2, particularly if Caldera Linux is required.

The title of the second link on http://www.caldera.com/wabi/:

    Caldera: Using Caldera Components and Applications
             on Non-Caldera Linux Systems

should have given you a clue that if you followed it you'd find
information on using Caldera components and applications on non-Caldera
Linux systems.  If you had caught on to this subtle clue, you would have
found the following:

    In cases where Caldera has no choice because of contract
    obligations, we will restrict sales of products to only
    those running licensed copies of the Caldera Network Desktop.
    In other cases (such as Wabi), we will provide what support we
    can, such as listing known bugs on other distributions, or
    assisting with FAQ lists for other distributions as our
    resources allow. Other than these passive types of support,
    technical support for packages installed on non-CND systems
    will not be provided.

Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.

Post by Peter Ste » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>[snip]

>> Two questions:

>> 1 - will it run Word?
>> 2 - will it run on Linux in general or only on the Caldera version?

>One answer:

>  Go to http://www.caldera.com and read the answers for yourself.

>Mark Hamstra
>Bentley Systems, Inc.

Unfortunately the caldera web page does not answer these questions.

1. No list of tested Windows apps is presented. Obviously they can't
   list everything, but something as common as Word ought to make a
   small list of tested apps. For $200 I'd like to see something a
   little more reassuring.

2. Their blurb about Wabi 2.2 has references to both Caldera Linux
   and just Linux. It isn't at all clear what is required to run
   Wabi 2.2, particularly if Caldera Linux is required.

Peter Stein

Post by Fred A Watki » Wed, 20 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>CALDERA SHIPS WABI 2.2 FOR LINUX

>New Version Provides Solid, Low-Cost Solution for Running
>Windows 3.1 Applications on Linux-based Workstations

> . . .

Hey now this sounds great! BUT, a friend said, "Well, WABI only
supports a very few Windows programs; don't think it'll just
run all your Windows stuff."

Does anyone *know* what all WABI will run? For starters, what about:
    MS WORD 6
    MS Access 1.1
    MS Visual C++
    MS Visual Basic
    MS FreeCell
    MS Accessories (Calculator, Notepad, CardFile, etc)
    Mathematica 2.3, 3.0
    Maple V 3.0
    MathCAD 6.0+
    Visio 4
    Corel Ventura Publisher 5.0
    PMAP 2.0
    HiJack Pro
    ACDSee
    AutoSketch
    Games(!)

What a notion!

Fred

Post by Mark Hamst » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>>CALDERA SHIPS WABI 2.2 FOR LINUX

>>New Version Provides Solid, Low-Cost Solution for Running
>>Windows 3.1 Applications on Linux-based Workstations

>> . . .

> Hey now this sounds great! BUT, a friend said, "Well, WABI only
> supports a very few Windows programs; don't think it'll just
> run all your Windows stuff."

> Does anyone *know* what all WABI will run? For starters, what about:

[snip application list]

Yes, Fred, plenty of people *know* what WABI will run (or they at least know
of the official reports of SunSoft and the unofficial reports of many others).
These would be the people that took the time to read

http://www.Sun.COM/solaris/products/wabi/support/wabi2.0-apps/list.html

and

http://wabiapps.psgroup.com/

As for your list of applications, I find it very interesting, to say the least!
Why would you want to run several of these packages under WABI when there are
already native ports of the same or better application for Linux?  To pick
just two of wmy favorites: Why WABI/Mathematica when Otto Hammersmith has
already done the work of porting it to Linux?  Why AutoSketch when I have
already done the work of porting MicroStation to Linux?

Mark Hamstra
Bentley Systems, Inc.

Post by G Sumner Haye » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> As for your list of applications, I find it very interesting, to say the least!
> Why would you want to run several of these packages under WABI when there are
> already native ports of the same or better application for Linux?  To pick
> just two of wmy favorites: Why WABI/Mathematica when Otto Hammersmith has
> already done the work of porting it to Linux?  Why AutoSketch when I have
> already done the work of porting MicroStation to Linux?

Well, suppose I have several hundred dollars invested in Windows
software; it might be cheaper to pay the $199 for WABI than to
re-purchase all of that software for Linux.

Alternatively, I have Word 6.0 and want to use it, so I buy WABI.  I
also happen to have Mathematica for Windows; I might not use it enough
to buy the Linux version, but since I've already got it and WABI I
might run it from time to time.

I don't know anything about MicroStation/AutoSketch, but if there is
_any_ difference whatsoever there will probably be people who prefer
one strongly to the other who might buy WABI to run the one they like.

Along a similar line of reasoning, the Linux native version might not
be 100% identical to the Windows version (Netscape, Wordperfect) and
someone who is used to one might prefer it and want to use it.

I don't plan to get WABI as I'm perfectly happy with the Linux apps
out there, but I think all of the above are plausible reasons that
people might run apps that have Linux ports under WABI.

Cordially,

  Sumner

--
Respond by post or email, but please don't CC: postings to me; my mailbox
is already quite full.

COMMERCIAL: Caldera Ships Wabi 2.2 for Linux

Post by Donald E. Hammon » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996 23:51:15 -0800

> >CALDERA SHIPS WABI 2.2 FOR LINUX

> >New Version Provides Solid, Low-Cost Solution for Running
> >Windows 3.1 Applications on Linux-based Workstations

> > . . .

> Hey now this sounds great! BUT, a friend said, "Well, WABI only
> supports a very few Windows programs; don't think it'll just
> run all your Windows stuff."

> Does anyone *know* what all WABI will run? For starters, what about:

> [snip]

see: http://www.sun.com/sunsoft/solaris/products/wabi/#apps

 - Don

   A giraffe walks into a bar and says, "The highballs are on me."
Use of this message and/or email address for commercial purposes (including
unsolicited "junk" mailings) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED and  MAY BE A VIOLATION
OF FEDERAL LAW   [Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1991, and Collateral
Code of Federal Regulations (47 CFR 64.1200)]

COMMERCIAL: Caldera Ships Wabi 2.2 for Linux

Post by Ted Richar » Thu, 21 Nov 1996 04:00:00

: >
: >[snip]
: >
: >> Two questions:
: >>
: >> 1 - will it run Word?
: >> 2 - will it run on Linux in general or only on the Caldera version?
: >
: >One answer:
: >
: >  Go to http://www.caldera.com and read the answers for yourself.
: >
: >Mark Hamstra
: >Bentley Systems, Inc.

: Unfortunately the caldera web page does not answer these questions.

If you click on the "Wabi" link in the announcement, and then follow
the "Sun: Wabi 2.2 Product Overview" link, you'll find a list of
applications supported, including Word 6.0 and 2.0.

The announcement does not list Caldera Linux as a requirement for Wabi.
In fact, the Caldera Wabi Users Guide (again following the link from the
Wabi page) specifically discusses installing on a non-Caldera system.

They do say, though, that they will provide free 30-day technical support
for those running Caldera CND or COL.  I assume that means that there
will be no free technical support for Wabi on other platforms.

--

ISG Technologies Inc.   6509 Airport Rd., Mississauga  Ont.  Canada   L4V 1S7

COMMERCIAL: Caldera Ships Wabi 2.2 for Linux

Post by Anthony Russo -- aka Stupendous Ma » Fri, 22 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I have run WABI on slackware distribution, and it indeed
runs Word and all of microsoft office.

Everything works, except that 16 bit and most 24 bit displays are
not yet supported.

-- tony russo

                "Surrender to the void."