Help burning CDR (iso) image

Post by pdlam » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I need some help burning an image to a CD.  I haven't been able to burn
it with cdrecord, using a command line like 'cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0
-v pinstripe-powertools-i386.iso' -- makes the best coaster you've ever
seen!  I've had my best luck mastering and burning images with xcdroast,
but I can't figure out how to specify an image file.

Versions?  xcdroast 0.98alpha6
           cdrecord 1.8.1
Any help/pointers/suggestions would be welcome.

                Pat

Help burning CDR (iso) image

Post by Dances With Cro » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>I need some help burning an image to a CD.  I haven't been able to burn
>it with cdrecord, using a command line like 'cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0
>-v pinstripe-powertools-i386.iso' -- makes the best coaster you've ever
>seen!  I've had my best luck mastering and burning images with xcdroast,
>but I can't figure out how to specify an image file.

How did you make the .iso file in the first place?  And can you check
the .iso using the loopback, like so?
  mount -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/other -o loop,ro
should mount the .iso on /mnt/other --if it coughs up error messages
unrelated to the lack of loopback support in your kernel (Put it in!) or
the nonexistence of /mnt/other (mkdir it), then the .iso file is more
than likely corrupt.  To make an .iso file out of a data CD, just do:
  dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=2k

xcdroast is a frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs--nothing more, nothing
less.  What works in xcdroast *must* work in cdrecord.  Does cdrecord
cough up any errors while burning?

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /   Tyranny is always better organized
http://www.brainbench.com     /    than freedom.
-----------------------------/              --Charles Peguy

Help burning CDR (iso) image

Post by Patrick Lam » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> >I need some help burning an image to a CD.  I haven't been able to burn
> >it with cdrecord, using a command line like 'cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0
> >-v pinstripe-powertools-i386.iso' -- makes the best coaster you've ever
> >seen!  I've had my best luck mastering and burning images with xcdroast,
> >but I can't figure out how to specify an image file.

> How did you make the .iso file in the first place?  And can you check
> the .iso using the loopback, like so?
>   mount -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/other -o loop,ro
> should mount the .iso on /mnt/other --if it coughs up error messages
> unrelated to the lack of loopback support in your kernel (Put it in!) or
> the nonexistence of /mnt/other (mkdir it), then the .iso file is more
> than likely corrupt.  To make an .iso file out of a data CD, just do:
>   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=2k

The file was a download from the Redhat site (powertools 7 beta).  I can
read it fine as loopback.

Quote:> xcdroast is a frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs--nothing more, nothing
> less.  What works in xcdroast *must* work in cdrecord.  Does cdrecord
> cough up any errors while burning?

Sounds good, but unfortunately all the documentation is code - there is
no documentation, help files, etc.  Even the README is dedicated to
describing compilation and installation.  No errors during the cdrecord
run.  So, clue me in: how do you specify an image file to be used with
xcdroast?  Or does xcdroast feed a command line to cdrecord that is
substantially different from the one I listed above?

Help burning CDR (iso) image

Post by Dirk Reckma » Tue, 08 Aug 2000 04:00:00

>run.  So, clue me in: how do you specify an image file to be used with
>xcdroast?

The same es you did: (from my history file)

cdrecord dev=0,1,0 speed=4 -v cd1.img

But I need to reload my burned data-CDs before I'm able to mount
them. I think this is a bug in my CD-writer. Have you tried this?

Ciao,
  Dirk

Help burning CDR (iso) image

Post by Alastair Nei » Fri, 11 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> > >I need some help burning an image to a CD.  I haven't been able to burn
> > >it with cdrecord, using a command line like 'cdrecord speed=4 dev=0,0,0
> > >-v pinstripe-powertools-i386.iso' -- makes the best coaster you've ever
> > >seen!  I've had my best luck mastering and burning images with xcdroast,
> > >but I can't figure out how to specify an image file.

> > How did you make the .iso file in the first place?  And can you check
> > the .iso using the loopback, like so?
> >   mount -t iso9660 file.iso /mnt/other -o loop,ro
> > should mount the .iso on /mnt/other --if it coughs up error messages
> > unrelated to the lack of loopback support in your kernel (Put it in!) or
> > the nonexistence of /mnt/other (mkdir it), then the .iso file is more
> > than likely corrupt.  To make an .iso file out of a data CD, just do:
> >   dd if=/dev/cdrom of=file.iso bs=2k

> The file was a download from the Redhat site (powertools 7 beta).  I can
> read it fine as loopback.

> > xcdroast is a frontend to cdrecord and mkisofs--nothing more, nothing
> > less.  What works in xcdroast *must* work in cdrecord.  Does cdrecord
> > cough up any errors while burning?

> Sounds good, but unfortunately all the documentation is code - there is
> no documentation, help files, etc.  Even the README is dedicated to
> describing compilation and installation.  No errors during the cdrecord
> run.  So, clue me in: how do you specify an image file to be used with
> xcdroast?  Or does xcdroast feed a command line to cdrecord that is
> substantially different from the one I listed above?

How big is the image?
I would try adding padding try -pad=20M

--
Those who are mentally and emotionally healthy are those who have
learned when to say yes, when to say no and when to say whoopee. -- W.S.

1. HELP iso image burning to cd and making it bootable HELP

       Can you help me!!!! I just downloaded mandrake linux as an .iso image
i then ran it through easy cd and picked make from iso image..... However I
been reading that it must be bootable or somthing. How is a cd bootable adn
how do i make it bootable. I dont see any .exe or install programs in the
file folders so i guess it does need to be bootable. Is there a floppy to
make so that the floppy is bootable I know nt comes that
way...................

2. Help! startx problems

3. RedHat 5.2: Burned bootable ISO image for Setup boots, but fails to initialize cd - HELP!

4. Custom ioctl commands (SIOCDEVPRIVATE deprecated)

5. How to burn iso file to a CDR?

6. find -follow option doesn't exist under AIX 4.3

7. Making cdr-image in Linux and Burn in Windows

8. Sparc10 & Solaris 2.3 constantly rebooting...

9. Burning REDHAT image on CDR

10. How to burn SUSE ISO image in Windows

11. Burning .iso CD-Images with Toast?

12. burnt iso image