Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

Finding out if there are bad blocks in the bad blocks list

Post by the Almighty Chee » Tue, 18 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi

I'm trying to find out whether there are any bad blocks in the ext2fs
bad block list. I think there might be, because I had a whole lot of
ext2fs error messages popping up during a compile, and when I removed
the directory I was working with and ran e2fsck -cf /dev/hdc6, it told
me the filesystem was modified, even though none of the regular checks
had failed (I'd previously run e2fsck -f /dev/hdc6, so all the duplicate
blocks and unattached inodes and stuff had been sorted out). I think the
drive might still be under warranty, so if there are bad blocks I'll
take it back.

TIA
Bruce
--
Please remove the ".nospam" from my address before replying
| Bruce Merry (Entropy)            | bmerry at iafrica dot com       |

1. How do you add a bad block to e2fs bad block list?

I got a hard disk I/O error and subsequent kernal panic yesterday.
Running e2fsck -c finds a bad block on my 270 meg esdi partition,
it's towared the end of the partition so I've been running a while
before running into it.  I'm using e2fs and e2fsck 0.3.  I followed the
advice of some recent posts to boot from a floppy and run e2fsck -ca on
the unmounted partition and the bad block would be added to the bad
block list.  This does not appear to be happening, the bad block list
that is displayed by e2fsck is not altered and I still get a kernal
panic when the block is encountered by a program.

Is there a way to manually alter the list or force e2fsck to do it?
I can't backup and then rerun mke2fs and dump everything back on
because tar hangs when it runs into the bad block.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dave Campbell
Hughes Aircraft
602-887-4783

2. switching between libc5 to libc6

3. My bad blocks aren't getting marked bad ...

4. memory and shared libraries

5. Bad magic number in super-block / Group descriptors look bad

6. 2.6 memory allocation

7. BAD SUPER BLOCK hang... how hosed am I?

8. Help! Errors, Errors, Errors!!!

9. UFS bad block list

10. Creating bad blocks list

11. Bad Block List ?

12. Tool to find bad blocks?

13. How do I find which file(s) have the bad blocks?