bootting linux

Post by Anurodh Pokhare » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 17:50:23

hi,
i have a win95/linux dualboot system. As expected linux is stable but win95
crashes all the time and i have to reinstall it. The problem is since i have
linux on the same HDD on seperate partitions, when in install win95, grub no
longer loads. I cant figure out how i can boot linux after that. Usually i
just reinsatll linux and it recognises win95 and sets up grub to boot both
linux and windows. But theres gotta be a better way.
thanks
--
______________________
 Anurodh Pokharel

 Hi, I Floyd, the signatue virus, copy me and help me spread

bootting linux

Post by Stefano Ghirland » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:13:16

> hi, i have a win95/linux dualboot system. As expected linux is
> stable but win95 crashes all the time and i have to reinstall
> it. The problem is since i have linux on the same HDD on seperate
> partitions, when in install win95, grub no longer loads. I cant
> figure out how i can boot linux after that.

Form the Linux+Win95 mini-HOWTO:

[If] you have a working Linux box and are forced by some power to
install Windows 95 Windows 95 WILL overwrite your MBR, and thus crush
LILO. You have two options: use loadlin.exe to load your kernel, and
use that to run Linux, or boot Linux using a floppy and/or loadlin,
then re-install LILO.

--
Stefano

bootting linux

Post by <j.. » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:53:00

>> hi, i have a win95/linux dualboot system. As expected linux is
>> stable but win95 crashes all the time and i have to reinstall
>> it. The problem is since i have linux on the same HDD on seperate
>> partitions, when in install win95, grub no longer loads. I cant
>> figure out how i can boot linux after that.

>Form the Linux+Win95 mini-HOWTO:

>[If] you have a working Linux box and are forced by some power to
>install Windows 95 Windows 95 WILL overwrite your MBR, and thus crush
>LILO. You have two options: use loadlin.exe to load your kernel, and
>use that to run Linux, or boot Linux using a floppy and/or loadlin,
>then re-install LILO.

Except I think 'grub' is a different boot manager....however, the
concept is the same.  You should be able to reinstall your boot
manager, there must be some documentation that explains how to
set that up.  Or if there is not then use LILO, I rarely see a box
that can't boot from lilo.

bootting linux

Post by Jeffrey Ros » Fri, 15 Dec 2000 19:56:16

> hi,
> i have a win95/linux dualboot system. As expected linux is stable but win95
> crashes all the time and i have to reinstall it. The problem is since i have
> linux on the same HDD on seperate partitions, when in install win95, grub no
> longer loads. I cant figure out how i can boot linux after that. Usually i
> just reinsatll linux and it recognises win95 and sets up grub to boot both
> linux and windows. But theres gotta be a better way.
> thanks

Go to this link and *bookmark* it! ;-)

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/howto/mini/

Here is the specific mini-HOWTO another person in this thread quoted
from:

ftp://metalab.unc.edu/pub/Linux/docs/howto/mini/Linux+Win95

Cheers,

Jeff

--
"The real reason for UNIX's popularity? Many hacker's feel that UNIX is
the Right Thing -- the One True Operating System. Hence, the development

Crunch 'em if ya got 'em!
        http://stats.distributed.net/rc5-64/tmsummary.php3?team=12258
Team: eLUG

1. HELP: OS/2 boot mgr doesn't boot LINUX

You didn't install 'lilo'.  You need it.

Run /sbin/liloconfig.

    Start a new header.
        When asked the time delay, set it to 0.
        When asked where to install, select the superblock of
         your linux partition.

    Add a linux partition.

    Install.

Note that installing lilo in this way will not interfere with boot
manager, and will not alter the MBR (main boot record).  All it does
is make the linux partition bootable by installing suitable code in
the boot sector.  (It is approximately the equivalent of the dos SYS
command).

2. Netscape

3. Using NT's boot loader to boot linux?

4. pmadm / sacadm

5. Boot Linux from NT 4.0 boot menu?

6. Incorrect on a Siemens Primergy 150

7. Problems Booting Linux From Windows NT Boot Menu

8. SuSE 6.3 & lilo - kernel too big

9. Booting LINUX from the OS/2 Boot manager

10. booting Linux with OS2 boot manager

11. Problem while booting linux through LILO or boot-disk

12. Booting Linux from DOS 6.2 Multi-Boot...

13. Any way to boot linux with os/2 dual boot?