Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

Post by Chris Stum » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Greetings all,

     I have 3 gigs of freespace on my 12 gig HD.  I would like to
partition this space and make it available to both my Red Hat 6.1 OS and
my Win98 OS.  Therefore, it has to be a FAT32 filesystem. I can't use
fdisk in windows to do this because it doesn't recognize linux.  In
other words, windoze fdisk shows 5 gigs of free space when this is
definately not true, linux is taking up 2 gigs. I don't want to use the
win fdisk in fear of it screwing up my linux system. Cfdisk in linux
shows the proper HD setup with the correct amount of freespace, so I
would like to use this program.  My question, however, is which type of
filesystem  should I format the drive in?..it doesn't seem to write
FAT32 filesystems, only FAT16 versions.  Can I choose any FAT16 version
and write that filesystem so that windoze recongnizes it, and then
reformat the partition (new win drive) into a FAT32 from inside windoze?
How should I go about accomplishing this task without screwing anything
up?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

I thank everyone who helps in advance = )

Post by Leonard Even » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

> Greetings all,

>      I have 3 gigs of freespace on my 12 gig HD.  I would like to
> partition this space and make it available to both my Red Hat 6.1 OS and
> my Win98 OS.  Therefore, it has to be a FAT32 filesystem. I can't use
> fdisk in windows to do this because it doesn't recognize linux.  In
> other words, windoze fdisk shows 5 gigs of free space when this is
> definately not true, linux is taking up 2 gigs. I don't want to use the
> win fdisk in fear of it screwing up my linux system. Cfdisk in linux
> shows the proper HD setup with the correct amount of freespace, so I
> would like to use this program.  My question, however, is which type of
> filesystem  should I format the drive in?..it doesn't seem to write
> FAT32 filesystems, only FAT16 versions.  Can I choose any FAT16 version
> and write that filesystem so that windoze recongnizes it, and then
> reformat the partition (new win drive) into a FAT32 from inside windoze?
> How should I go about accomplishing this task without screwing anything
> up?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

> I thank everyone who helps in advance = )

I think you can make the partition with Linux fdisk, specifying
its type to be FAT32, and then it should be visible to Windows
as a drive with some letter, say d:.  Then you should be
able to format it under with Windows with the format command,
e.g. format d:
That should put a FAT32 file system on it.   But adding a new
drive to Windows can mess up the letters which designate other
block devices such as your CD or a zip drive.  This can be
fixed with Windows if you are determined enough.

I am pretty sure I have done this on several occasions, but it
was a while back, so I am not entirely sure of the details.

1. Creating a new filesystem in a new partition

[...]

2. Help about AHA - 1510 A

3. Creating new filesystem on assigned partition?

4. WebCrossing Help Needed

5. Create new partition before boot partition on hard drive

6. Linux on 64 bit PCI bus

7. New items in the "Create new" menu

8. ATTN Casper H.S. Dik - Please Read Inside

9. How to create a new locale with a new character set ?

10. Creating New Filesystem

11. Create a new filesystem

12. Creating New Filesystem /usr

13. HOW DO YOU REMOVE FILESYSTEMS & CREATE THEM ON NEW DISKS?