SMTP / POP with Visual Basic 6 and Linux

SMTP / POP with Visual Basic 6 and Linux

Post by CompGe » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 15:56:30

Hey there,

   I'm Neil Pinto, from an engg college in Ratnagiri, Maharashtra,
India and I have a some questions for u.

   I have been working on a Compressed Voice Mail project in VB6 for
my B.E. and have reached the testing and trials stage. I would need to
have some sort of a local SMTP and POP3 server to serve as the back
end for the mails sent and received from my Program.

   My need is that the server should accept an ESMTP connexion from my
project ( VB6 ) and store the mail in its buffers. Later, it should
also be able to accept a POP3 connexion and allow the downloading of
mails to the requesting comp.  The server should _definitely_ allow
for attachments to be sent with the mail, as my voice recording is
sent as an attachment.

   I was wondering if u guys could, perhaps, point me out to some
freeware / shareware SMTP and POP3 servers on the net.

   We have a few LINUX workstations in our lab, though they are not
networked. Could u explain how i can setup one of them to be a local
Mail server. My questions on this sub topic are :

Q1. Is there such a s/w available in Linux ??

Q2. What domain name, etc, setting would i have to give in the server,
and the host name for the server ( ie. smtp.local.com or just
local.com , etc ??? )

Q3. How do i link up a network between windows and Linux. i mean i
have  a lot of experience  in using Linux, buit i have not as such
been heavily into the networking aspect. Could u pls show me how to
set up a Windows / Linux Mail system ???

  Thanx,

  Neil.

Post by dav.. » Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:08:18

>    I was wondering if u guys could, perhaps, point me out to some
> freeware / shareware SMTP and POP3 servers on the net.

Yahoo was used to provide free SMTP/POP service, now (AFAIK) he
no longer does. You can search for a free server using any search engine.

Quote:> Q1. Is there such a s/w available in Linux ??

Practically any Linux installation provide a copy of Sendmail (SMTP server),
and probabily one or more POP daemon, the latter not always is installed.
You can test and install it if it's not already there.

Quote:> Q2. What domain name, etc, setting would i have to give in the server,
> and the host name for the server ( ie. smtp.local.com or just
> local.com , etc ??? )

If it's not part of Internet, you can use whatever you want. But be sure
that the name you are using is in the DNS or in your HOSTS file in Windows.
Or stick with the IP address.

Quote:> Q3. How do i link up a network between windows and Linux.

Just link the two machine with the network cable. And configure the WIn
machine to send/read the mail to/from the Linux machine. That's it.

Read the Mail-Administrator-HowTo on www.linuxdoc.org, there are plenty
of information about the subject.

Davide

1. SMTP on RH 7.3 Distro, using POP and SMTP on another server

I'm running RH 7.3 on a BookPC, and pretty happy actually
with the look and feel, the easy setup (amazing, RH around 5.x was
actually impossible for me to setup and I ain't no dumby, or am I).
I have POP accounts and SMTP access to those accounts for Mail
and want to use them.  I have got POP working, but the KMail seems
to not allow me to use a remote SMTP, forcing me to use the local
SMTP.  I really want to SMTP login at my mail host service and would
like to know if there is a way to do it.  Otherwise this is a step
backwards for me email-wise.  Thanks, if you would email me directly
I dont read Linux groups much, and really appreciate your help!

Best wishes

2. Diamond Speedstar 24 vs Orchid Pro-Designer IIs

3. configuring postfix / pop-server for smtp-after-pop

4. How to boot single-user from LILO?

5. Announce: Visual Basic 5 Linux

6. Can flex I/O be redirected to memory (instead of files) ?

7. visual basic for linux

8. My Linux crashes! - HELP

9. visual basic alike and linux

10. Visual Basic for Windows on Linux ?