Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to go,
but I've got 100s of hours into configuring this version to do exactly what
I want, so I'm not sure I want to s*it.

Does anybody have any experience in upgrading SuSE Linux v6.0 to SuSE Linux
v6.3? I've got both versions sitting here, and was wondering if the upgrade
procedure would be less painful than that from v5.2 to v6.0 (ISTR my Linux
partition gaining 500 megs of who-knows-what, and system performance going
straight down the tubes..).

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3?

Post by David Steube » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

' I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to go,
' but I've got 100s of hours into configuring this version to do exactly what
' I want, so I'm not sure I want to s*it.

I've got the same problem.  I have a laptop computer that uses the
neomagic drivers for X that I would like to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2.
And of course 6.4 is about to come out.  What a dilema!

' Does anybody have any experience in upgrading SuSE Linux v6.0 to SuSE Linux
' v6.3? I've got both versions sitting here, and was wondering if the upgrade
' procedure would be less painful than that from v5.2 to v6.0 (ISTR my Linux
' partition gaining 500 megs of who-knows-what, and system performance going
' straight down the tubes..).

I plan on backing up my laptop to my other machine so that I can get
back stuff.  I'm going to try the upgrade system option in yast and
hope for the best.

--
David Steuber   |   Hi!  My name is David Steuber, and I am
NRA Member      |   a hoploholic.

http://www.veryComputer.com/

"Calling J-Man Kink.  Calling J-Man Kink.  Hash missile sighted, target
Los Angeles.  Disregard personal feelings about city and intercept."

Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3?

Post by John Hasle » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

Quote:Stewart Honsberger writes:
> I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to
> go,...

Who told you that?
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>> I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to
>> go,...

>Who told you that?

Personal experience, along with testemonials in these newsgroups.

As I mentioned earlier, the last time I tried SuSE's upgrade procedure, my
Linux installation grew by several hundred megs, and system performance went
straight down the tube. When I re-installed from scratch, performance improved
and the system took up far less HDD space.

--

Humming along under SuSE Linux 6.0 / OS/2 Warp 4

Upgrading SuSE v6.0 to v6.3?

Post by Stewart Honsberg » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

>' I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to go,
>' but I've got 100s of hours into configuring this version to do exactly what
>' I want, so I'm not sure I want to s*it.

>I've got the same problem.  I have a laptop computer that uses the
>neomagic drivers for X that I would like to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.2.

I don't really have that problem, although I have seen that the S3VIRGE drivers
have been updated, and will (apparently) only work with a new(er) version of
X11. I'm also running into problems where a lot of software is now only being
updated for the Glibc2 systems, and I've got Glibc1.2 here.

Rather than try to upgrade everything one at a time, I'd like to just upgrade
the entire she-bang.

Quote:>And of course 6.4 is about to come out.  What a dilema!

Yeah.. You're telling me! I just know that as soon as I install 6.3, 6.4 will
hit their site in ISO format. {groan}

Why must development go faster than me? :>

Quote:>' Does anybody have any experience in upgrading SuSE Linux v6.0 to SuSE Linux
>' v6.3? I've got both versions sitting here, and was wondering if the upgrade
>' procedure would be less painful than that from v5.2 to v6.0 (ISTR my Linux
>' partition gaining 500 megs of who-knows-what, and system performance going
>' straight down the tubes..).

>I plan on backing up my laptop to my other machine so that I can get
>back stuff.  I'm going to try the upgrade system option in yast and
>hope for the best.

I think that's the way I'm going to go. I plan on leaving my /home partition
alone, so that should be a problem. Now just to figure out what I have on my
/ partition that I should back-up, and I just might give the 6.0-6.3 upgrade
a try.

If it doesn't work - I'll have my backup, and I guess I'll just re-install
v6.3 from scratch. {shrug}

--

Post by Bob Marti » Mon, 27 Mar 2000 04:00:00

> I know that upgrading Linux distros is generally not the better way to go,
> but I've got 100s of hours into configuring this version to do exactly what
> I want, so I'm not sure I want to s*it.

All I have ever done is upgrade after the initial install,using RH and
it works fine, or upgrade the packages you want by hand. reinstalling
the OS for simple upgrades is windoze nonsense.
--

Bob Martin

Stewart Honsberger writes:
> Personal experience, along with testemonials in these newsgroups.

Experience with what distributions?

Quote:> As I mentioned earlier, the last time I tried SuSE's upgrade procedure,
> my Linux installation grew by several hundred megs, and system
> performance went straight down the tube.

Sounds pretty buggy.  I've never had any serious trouble upgrading Debian,
even when the upgrade included libc5 -> libc6.
--
John Hasler

Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI

1. SSH 'No Agent'-error on S.u.S.E. Linux v6.0

Hi,
I'm getting a 'No Agent' error message by the ssh-daemon on a freshly
installed S.u.S.E. Linux v6.0 machine and I can't find any hint about
this message in the man pages. BTW, the ssh client works without any
problems.
-
Here's what ssh displays in verbose mode (ssh -v hostname):

SSH Version 1.2.26 [i586-unknown-linux], protocol version 1.5.
Standard version.  Does not use RSAREF.
 Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
 ssh_connect: getuid 0 geteuid 0 anon 0
 Connecting to info [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] port 22.
 Allocated local port 1023.
 Connection established.
 Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version 1.2.26
 Waiting for server public key.
 Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
 Host 'hostname' is known and matches the host key.
 Initializing random; seed file /user/.ssh/random_seed
 Encryption type: idea
 Sent encrypted session key.
 Installing crc compensation attack detector.
 Received encrypted confirmation.
 No agent.
Permission denied.
-

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Martin Baedeker
For replying please remove NOSPAM in my email address!

2. Help for "make bzImage" of 2.4.2 kernel?

3. jpeg shared libraries for SuSE v6.2

4. Can send email, but can't receive

5. SUSE v6.1 failing during install

6. JNI problem - frozen native code!

7. Please HELP with SuSE Linux v6.0 and PPP

8. is my ide disk dead ?

9. SCSI problem with SUSE v6.1

10. Suse v6.2 install freezes

11. Audio driver for Suse Linux v6.3