nohup question

Post by R.A. Lawren » Thu, 06 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know what circumstances a nohup'ed batch file will terminate? Can it
only be killed by root, the owner or shutting down the server? Or also by
removing the "nohup.out" file?

Regards

Rich.

--

 _______________
|___|___|___|___|_   Richard Lawrence (Liverpool Uni, Computer Science)

|___|___|___|___|_   Web URL   : http://www.csc.liv.ac.uk/~u5ral
  |___|___|___|___|  UberWorld : educ0015.unimaas.nl 2020 (as Silver)

nohup question

Post by Meinrad Fun » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>Does anyone know what circumstances a nohup'ed batch file will terminate? Can it
>only be killed by root, the owner or shutting down the server? Or also by
>removing the "nohup.out" file?

On my little SUN the owner can kill it.

Meinrad

Inst. f. Angew. Mathematik  Tel: +49 (62 21) 54 54 45
Universitaet Heidelberg     FAX: +49 (62 21) 54 56 34
Im Neuenheimer Feld 294     http://www.iwr.uni-heidelberg.de/iwr/comopt/funke

nohup question

Post by Douglas Sea » Fri, 07 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know what circumstances a nohup'ed batch file will terminate? Can it
> only be killed by root, the owner or shutting down the server? Or also by
> removing the "nohup.out" file?

> Regards

> Rich.

I haven't played with nohup on linux, but it is a unix standard thingie.

nohup just launches the child with a signal handler that ignores SIGHUP
signals.  when a parent shell exits it sends a SIGHUP (HangUP) to each
of its children, who normally exit.  nohup causes the children to
continue
as before.

it doesn't do anything funny to the process.  a normal kill should still
stop the process.  the process still has the same uid as the before, so
there is no need to "su" before the kill.  deleting the nohup.out
shouldn't
do anything special.

doug seay

1. nohup question

I wish to use nohup to generate a numerical database. So nohup is the
choice. Like this:
        nohup myprogram > nohup.out 2>&1 &
When I logout and login again to check, myprogram is not running
there.

Any one had similiar experience? It seems that nohup is not working as
intended.

Jinsong Zhao

2. C programming

3. Nohup Question

4. Is ftp.sibylline.com down?

5. Nohup question

6. ISDN Router for SOHO Use

7. nohup question...

8. xfig and app-defaults question? Help!

9. Nohup question

10. NOHUP Question

11. a nohup question?

12. Nohup question