Tape backup (8 mm SCSI Exabyte) support?

Tape backup (8 mm SCSI Exabyte) support?

Post by Steve Frampt » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Hello:

I am running Linux 1.3.20 (Slackware 3.0) on a 486DX2-75 (IBM
PS/Valuepoint, IDE).  I have been given an 8 mm SCSI Exabyte 8200 tape
drive for use with Linux for backups, and was wondering:

- Does Linux support such a drive?
- What is involved in getting my IDE computer speaking SCSI?

Any advice would be appreciated.

----------------< LINUX: The choice of a GNU generation. >-----------------

Frontenac-Lennox & Addington County RCSSB   Kingston, Ontario  CANADA

Post by Ben Pearr » Thu, 22 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> Hello:

> I am running Linux 1.3.20 (Slackware 3.0) on a 486DX2-75 (IBM
> PS/Valuepoint, IDE).  I have been given an 8 mm SCSI Exabyte 8200 tape
> drive for use with Linux for backups, and was wondering:

> - Does Linux support such a drive?
> - What is involved in getting my IDE computer speaking SCSI?

Linux will support pretty much any SCSI disk, tape, or CD-ROM in the
kernel (and a bunch of other SCSI devices as well, if you get the
drivers).  The trick is having s SCSI card that Linux supports.  If you
have that, then you can use "mt" and "tar", though tar really is not a
very good backup program.  There are others that are supposed to be
better, but I have not really tried them.

So, to get the drive working, you just need a supported SCSI card.  See
the Linux source code and documentation for details.

------  Ben Pearre  ---  Princeton University Computer Science  ------
                     http://www.princeton.edu/~bwpearre

Post by Robert Hell » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

  In a message on 21 Feb 1996 21:09:51 GMT, wrote :

SF> Hello:
SF>
SF> I am running Linux 1.3.20 (Slackware 3.0) on a 486DX2-75 (IBM
SF> PS/Valuepoint, IDE).  I have been given an 8 mm SCSI Exabyte 8200 tape
SF> drive for use with Linux for backups, and was wondering:
SF>
SF> - Does Linux support such a drive?

Yes.

SF> - What is involved in getting my IDE computer speaking SCSI?

        1) Get yourself a good SCSI controller board. An Adaptec AHA-1542CF is
a good ISA board.  Look at the SCSI-HOWTOs for more details.

        2) You'll probably need to re-make your kernel.  You want to

           A) enable SCSI support
           B) enable the driver for the SCSI board you get
           C) enable at least SCSI tape support (you might want to also
              enable disk, CD-ROM, and generic support as well).

           D) re-make your kernel (don't forget to re-run /etc/lilo/install -
              make zLilo does this automagically).

        Once you install the board, SCSI cables (don't forget a terminator),
you should be all set.

        Oh, there is no problem supporting IDE and SCSI at the same time, only
the limits of floppy size limits the boot/install kernels from including both
(esp. given the number of different SCSI controllers).

--
                                     \/

http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller  ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://netmar.com/mall/shops/heller  /\

Post by Dan Wild » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>Hello:
>I am running Linux 1.3.20 (Slackware 3.0) on a 486DX2-75 (IBM
>PS/Valuepoint, IDE).  I have been given an 8 mm SCSI Exabyte 8200 tape
>drive for use with Linux for backups, and was wondering:
>- Does Linux support such a drive?

Yes.

Quote:>- What is involved in getting my IDE computer speaking SCSI?

Get a SCSI card. For just talking to a tape drive, Adaptec 1510
can be had for perhaps $80.

Rebuild your kernel for SCSI support.

Make sure the tape drive has terminators installed.

Use a good SCSI cable.

Quote:>Any advice would be appreciated.

Read the SCSI howto, it discusses many of the problems.

Watch out for media compatibility problems. I am involved in a
dispute with Exabyte right now over this. Apparently there is
no such thing as an industry standard tape, or so their support
people are attempting to convince me. If you have to buy
Exabyte tapes, your tapes may wind up costing you enough extra
that you would benefit by throwing away the drive and purchasing
one from a different manufacturer, that uses industry standard tapes.

If there is such a drive.

---

Post by Paul Christens » Fri, 23 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: >- What is involved in getting my IDE computer speaking SCSI?

: Get a SCSI card. For just talking to a tape drive, Adaptec 1510
: can be had for perhaps $80.

Don't forget that many recent sound cards have SCSI ports on them.
I have a PAS16, and have used my DAT drive, CD-ROM, and a hard drive
on it at a really decent speed.

The PAS16 can be found for well under $100 if you look.

Post by Lee W. F » Thu, 29 Feb 1996 04:00:00

 >Watch out for media compatibility problems. I am involved in a
 >dispute with Exabyte right now over this. Apparently there is
 >no such thing as an industry standard tape, or so their support
 >people are attempting to convince me. If you have to buy
 >Exabyte tapes, your tapes may wind up costing you enough extra
 >that you would benefit by throwing away the drive and purchasing
 >one from a different manufacturer, that uses industry standard tapes.

Curious.  What's the problem?

The only thing I have read in Exabyte literature has to do with tape and
cleaning cartridge quality and abrasiveness, not physical or magnetic
media compatibility.  Problems with media include flaking of media
particles and the tape surface not being smooth enough.  Exabyte also
warns against the use of video cleaning tapes as they are too abrasive.

I use my 8200 at home and am basically cheap so I don't normally buy
new-in-the-box Exabyte media.  Most of my tapes are 112m Sony data grade
tapes bought at about $4US ea. out of overruns from a duplicating
service.  They have not given me any problems.  I regularly use an Exabyte
cleaning cartridge however, and blow all the dust out of the drive
ocassionally.

Quote:>If there is such a drive.

In 8mm the only game is Exabyte.

Quote:>I am running Linux 1.3.20 (Slackware 3.0) on a 486DX2-75 (IBM
>PS/Valuepoint, IDE).  I have been given an 8 mm SCSI Exabyte 8200 tape
>drive for use with Linux for backups, and was wondering:
>- Does Linux support such a drive?

Most definitely.  mt and tar work fine.  As Dan's post says, you will need
a SCSI adapter and you have to have a kernel with SCSI support in it. For
the BIOS-less types like Adaptec 1520 you will will have to tell the
kernel via the lilo boot prompt or in lilo.conf what adapter you have and
its settings.

Good luck!

--
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are my own and do not in any way represent L*Aerospace Corporation.

Tape backup (8 mm SCSI Exabyte) support?

Post by Ping W Kwo » Wed, 06 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>One cautionary note:  Some very old 8200 series drives have firmware
>revisions that can cause lots of problem or just plain won't work.
>Generally, any firmware revision lower than MX2618 spells trouble.
>The good news is that Exabyte has an upgrade kit that is quick, easy,
>and (at the time of this writing) US$22.  You can get ordering details
>from http://www.exabyte.com.  I'd look up the exact kit number, but I'm
>not in my office.  :-)

I had a problem with my Exabyte 8500 not working properly with certain
a tape backup program.  Found out later that it was my old firmware.  I
called Exabyte and a very friendly lady had me read off some numbers to
her to confirm that the unit wasn't an OEM unit.  After that, she took down
information to send me my new firmware for free (FEX too!).  I haven't had
a problem with my tape backup since.

1. Exabyte EXB-8200 SCSI Tape backup...

I just got a used Exabyte EXB-8200 tape backup and I can't get it to
work correctly...  On boot-up the tape drive is detected fine. But, when
I use Gnu tar to backup my system onto tape, it begins to work, but then
fails with "tar: can't write to /dev/rmt0 : I/O error" (/dev/rmt0 is a
link to /dev/st0).  "mt erase" complains with "mt: /dev/tape: Permission
denied" (/dev/tape is a link to /dev/st0).

"mt status" returns:
drive type = 113
drive status = 1024
sense key error = 0
residue count = 0
file number = 0
block number = 0

Hardware:
    Adaptec 2842 VL-BUS SCSI controller
    Exabyte EXB-8200  8mm tape backup unit
    Generic IDE hard drive controller
    Westren Digital 540 meg IDE hd

Software:
    Kernel v1.1.87
    GNU tar version 1.11.2
    GNU mt version 2.3

Help!

---

Sophomore, Mathematics/Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University
---

2. CONSULTANT NEEDED

3. EXABYTE SCSI tape backup

4. VPN/IPsec, DHCP

5. Exabyte SCSI-2 tape backup

6. Wanted - Apache admin.

7. Poor E220R interactive performance when reading from 8-mm Exabyte tape

8. Is the file "stropts.h" exists in Linux AND Segmentation fault on Red hat LInux 5.1

9. Exabyte 8mm tapes on other x86 supported tape units???

10. Could I append level 9,5 backup to the end of 8 mm tape?

11. Tape Backups (Exabyte): Scripts

12. Tape backup on Cybernetics(exabyte) CY-8000?

13. backups on an ExaByte 8200 Tape Drive