How to loading new file system on a new hard drive partition?

How to loading new file system on a new hard drive partition?

Post by Yang-Cheng Hsi » Sun, 05 May 1996 04:00:00

Hi:

I just bought a new hard drive for my linux.
But I had problem in loading file system on it.

This was how I did it. First, I partition this
hard drive, and then I added a line in /etc/fstab
to make it load a new file system(/usr2) on the
new partion(/hdb/hd#) on the new hard drive.
But when I re-booted it, I got error messages
saying that my superblock info was messed up,
and therefore it tried to use the old one...

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong? What's the
correct way to do this? Please email me your
advice. I'll very appreciate it!!

Yang-Cheng

1. Create new partition before boot partition on hard drive

I have been happily using Red Hat on a dual boot system with Win95 for over
a couple of years now, but I've never made any changes to the hard drive
partition structure in that time.  I decided that it would be nice to create
a new partition for my Linux configuration (taking away some of my current
Windows FAT32 partition).  Everything is on a single hard drive.  I realize
that by creating a new partition which will be hda2, I will offset my Linux
boot partition by 1 changing it from hda6 to hda7.  I am currently using
LILO for regular booting.

What changes do I need to make to be able to boot Linux after this change?
Should I create another option in lilo.conf for booting from /devb/hda7, run
lilo and then go ahead and make the changes, or is there another option?

Thanks.

Mike

2. root login refused

3. after adding new hard drive, mountd takes forever to load

4. Reproducible libc4.3 coredump: elvis

5. Add new hard drive and resizing exisiting partitions

6. Changing default browser for Kmail

7. Use partition magic 8 or Buy a new hard drive?

8. HELP!!! setup SCSI parameter on C1716T optical disk

9. Partitioning a new hard drive: help!

10. Configuring a new system and want to maximize flexibility on hard drive

11. moved hard drive to new system

12. Adding new hard drive to the system

13. purchasing a new hard drive for linux system