Help for getting mail from ISP to my mail spool.

Help for getting mail from ISP to my mail spool.

Post by Dennis » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

By reading the Isp hookup how-to, I came across the following script:

sendmail -q
popclient -3 -v mail.acme.com -u dirk -p "PrettySecret" \
-k -o /usr/spool/mail/dirk 2> $HOME/pop.log

I tried it (with those necessary param. modified, of course). The log
file said that it retrieved sucessfully. But when I read the mail, the
mail client said that my mail box is corrupted. Is there anything
wrong? Please help!

Thanks a lot!

Dennis

---------------------------------------
Dennis Ng

http://www.iohk.com/UserPages/dennisng/

Help for getting mail from ISP to my mail spool.

Post by Rene Hoejbjerg Lars » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,

> By reading the Isp hookup how-to, I came across the following script:

> sendmail -q
> popclient -3 -v mail.acme.com -u dirk -p "PrettySecret" \
> -k -o /usr/spool/mail/dirk 2> $HOME/pop.log

> I tried it (with those necessary param. modified, of course). The log
> file said that it retrieved sucessfully. But when I read the mail, the
> mail client said that my mail box is corrupted. Is there anything
> wrong? Please help!

IMO fetchmail is much better than popclient since it doesn't write the
mail directly to the spool file but rather transmits it via SMTP to the
sendmail daemon on your machine thus avoiding mail box corruption due to
locking problems.

Besides, fetchmail has many other features not found in other pop
clients. You can get it from Eric S. Raymond's Home Page at
<http://www.veryComputer.com/~esr/>, just follow the link to Eric's Freeware
Collection.

I don't think you will regret it.
--
         /'"`\  zzzZ    | My PGP Public Key is available at:
        ( - - )         | <http://www.veryComputer.com/;

1. /var/spool/mail vs. /usr/spool/mail

I know this might appear to be a real newbee question, but it
is coming from one. ;)

Why do I have a /var/spool/mail and a /usr/spool/mail?

The /var/spool/mail doesn't seem to do anything, does it:

I ran a test.
    I chown'd a partickular user's /var/spool/mail file to
    root and chown'd the same user's /usr/spool/mail file
    to root.

   The result was that the user couldn't check mail--that makes sense!.

   I then chown'd that user's /usr/spool/mail  to make that user the
   owner and that user could then check mail.

   If /var/spool/mail was still owned by root ad the user was able to
   check mail, what is the function of /var/spool/mail?

2. login shell-init permission problem

3. Is there a mail program that can read mail (as root) from /var/spool/mail/xxx?

4. 2 Netzwerkadapter

5. mail folder is in /var/mail or /var/spool/mail

6. US Robotics ISDN SPortster

7. Help: Mail overflow, Links from /var/spool/mail ?

8. ftp server and iptables

9. Mail to /var/spool/mail/a/auser

10. More mail file locking questions (lockf, NFS, /var/spool/mail/*.lock)

11. Mail problem because a perl script reads /var/spool/mail/login?

12. editing the root mail file in /var/spool/mail

13. root mail with shared /var/spool/mail