ATI Radeon, XFree86-4.0.2, and hardware acceleration

ATI Radeon, XFree86-4.0.2, and hardware acceleration

Post by Praedor Tempu » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 07:01:47

I have an Athlon 700, 128MB RAM, with a new ATI Radeon 32MB DDR AGP video
card.  My linux is Mandrake 8.0beta with kernel-2.4.1, XFree86-4.0.2,
glibc2.2 (with glibc2.1 compatibility libs installed), and Mesa-3.4.1.

My video card appears to be properly setup and configured, as bootup
messages indicate that the system knows that I have a Radeon card and the
messages indicate that acceleration is enabled.

I recently bought the game "Terminus".  The problem is that whenever I
start it, it uses software opengl rendering instead of hardware
acceleration (via DRI, I believe).

I BELIEVE that DRI is enabled on my system (how can I confirm this?).  How
do I get hardware acceleration to work?
--
Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.

Post by ad.. » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:01:18

> I have an Athlon 700, 128MB RAM, with a new ATI Radeon 32MB DDR AGP video
> card.  My linux is Mandrake 8.0beta with kernel-2.4.1, XFree86-4.0.2,
> glibc2.2 (with glibc2.1 compatibility libs installed), and Mesa-3.4.1.
> My video card appears to be properly setup and configured, as bootup
> messages indicate that the system knows that I have a Radeon card and the
> messages indicate that acceleration is enabled.
> I recently bought the game "Terminus".  The problem is that whenever I
> start it, it uses software opengl rendering instead of hardware
> acceleration (via DRI, I believe).
> I BELIEVE that DRI is enabled on my system (how can I confirm this?).  How
> do I get hardware acceleration to work?

If it's using 4.0.2, your Radeon doesn't have 3D acceleration enabled.
3D acceleration is only available from the DRI CVS (and perhaps the
XFree86 CVS perhaps).  It should definately show up in XFree86 4.0.3.

To confirm this, open up /var/log/XFree86.0.log and look for a line that
says:

Direct Rendering Enabled

(that might not be the exact wording).  If you don't see that, you don't
have 3D acceleration :-)

If you want 3D acceleration, but don't want to wait till XFree86 4.0.3
comes out, check out:

http://dri.sourceforge.net

for info on how to pull the code from CVS.

And trust me, Terminus looks *great* with a Radeon :-)

Quote:> Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain.

Love that sig.

Adam

ATI Radeon, XFree86-4.0.2, and hardware acceleration

Post by Markus Kossman » Mon, 19 Mar 2001 13:40:40

[...]
Quote:> If you want 3D acceleration, but don't want to wait till XFree86 4.0.3
> comes out, check out:

[...]
Well, XFree 4.0.3 was released yesterday ( at least you can find it on
ftp.xfree86.org)

--
Markus Kossmann

1. ATI Radeon 9600XT on Mandrake 9.2 - No 3d acceleration?

Hi!

Running Mandrake 9.2 here with an ATI Radeon 9600xt video card. I've
installed the ATI drivers according to their instructions, but still no 3D
support.

I think the problem is that Linux is using the MESA AGP drivers instead of
the fglrx drivers. fglrxinfo outputs the following:

   display: :0.0  screen: 0
   OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
   OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
   OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

Trying to run the fgl_glxgears demo results in:

   Error: couldn't get fbconfig

This is very frustrating... My digital camera works, my scanner works, my
onboard audio works, my Promise RAID controller works. All I need to get
working in 3D acceleration and my Hauppauge USB WinTV tuner (which IS
detected, but all I get is static - no picture)

Any help is appreciated by this newbie!!!

Thanks!

2. Tabbed dialog using ncurses

3. Powerbook G4 + XFree4.0.2 = 3D acceleration ???

4. HELP,,sinking ship,

5. XFree86 Bug verification on ATI Rage128 and ATI Radeon cards

6. Accessing Internet

7. ATI Xpert 2000, ATI Radeon, Matrox G450 with XFree86

8. Password Minimum Length

9. How using ATI Radeon 7500 with XFree86-4 under FreeBSD 4.4

10. ATI Radeon O.S. driver XFree86-4.2.1-13 Locking up laptop

11. How using ATI Radeon 7500 with XFree86-4 under FreeBSD 4.4

12. Problem with XFree86-4.0.2?

13. XFree86-4.0.2 changes permissions to /dev/null