cd writer on the fly

Post by sivig.. » Sat, 03 Jul 1999 04:00:00

hi,

I have a TEAC cd writer (SCSI) with a TEAC cd read (SCSI)
Can i write cd on the fly ?? especially audio cd,
because my hard disk is very small and slow and I would gain time .

I did not find  FAQ about it ... :'(

thank you

Jerome

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

cd writer on the fly

Post by coffe » Sun, 04 Jul 1999 04:00:00

> hi,

> I have a TEAC cd writer (SCSI) with a TEAC cd read (SCSI)
> Can i write cd on the fly ?? especially audio cd,
> because my hard disk is very small and slow and I would gain time .
> Jerome

What size buffer does the cdr have? I have a yamaha scsi 4x with a 2 meg
buffer and I can while I surf the net.

--
       "Thank Heaven for Holidays. Now I can get some work done"
                coffee at indy dot net * ICQ 1614986

cd writer on the fly

Post by cpwU.. » Mon, 05 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>> hi,

>> I have a TEAC cd writer (SCSI) with a TEAC cd read (SCSI)
>> Can i write cd on the fly ?? especially audio cd,
>> because my hard disk is very small and slow and I would gain time .

>> Jerome

>What size buffer does the cdr have? I have a yamaha scsi 4x with a 2 meg
>buffer and I can while I surf the net.

>--
>       "Thank Heaven for Holidays. Now I can get some work done"
>            coffee at indy dot net * ICQ 1614986

I have the TEAC 55S.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'on the fly' but,
the man page for cdrecord says you can pipe the output of mksiofs
directly to cdrecord, thus saving the disk space of creating the mkisofs
image.  This puts a burden on the computer as far as throughput.  I also
think that it doesn't work with every kind of drive, specifically, I don't
think it works with the TEAC55S.  However, if what you're interested in
is audio CDs and you already have your files in wav format, you're
set.  I use the command:
cdrecord -audio -speed=4 -pad -v dev=6,0 *wav
where I'm in the directory where my wav files are and they all have
names ending it "wav".  Note that, again with the TEAC, there seems
to be a limitation in that when you write these files, the disk has
to be 'fixated' (whatever that means, I think it has something to do
with writing header or directory like information about the tracks).
The -nofix option isn't supposed to work with the TEAC 55S.  If it did,
from what I understand, you could 'burn' some of your tracks now, then
later burn some more, and only in the last burn do the fixating, which
would be nice if you're tight for disk space.  (From what I understand,
you probably could not play the CD until it had been fixated.)
        Note that this is not the same as multi-session.  My TEAC does
support multi-session (I'm really glad about that, because a primary
use I have for the thing is incremental backups), but that's a different
format than what is used for audio CDs.

--
       ---- Remove "UhUh" and "Spam" to get my real email address -----

cd writer on the fly

Post by jsivig.. » Wed, 07 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

Quote:> I have the TEAC 55S.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'on the fly' but,

Right, 'On the fly' = direct copy between src AUDIO CD and TARGET CD R
(copy of entire cd, directly)
My CD recorder is a TEAC 55S like you.
My problem about it was 'how writing a cd audio on the fly ??'

Thank you for advices.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/