Scrambled, garbled unreadble characters

Post by Jimmy Navarr » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

While I'm testing modems using Minicom, most of the time I get scrambled

readable plain English without rebooting?

--
Jimmy Navarro KE6FPK

In case your reply bounced, remove extra.

Post by Brian McCaule » Fri, 02 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> While I'm testing modems using Minicom, most of the time I get scrambled

> readable plain English without rebooting?

This is one of those odd questions that's in the FAQ yet only asked
occasionally.

setterm -reset

(Or (if you want a Q&D solution) hit Ctrl-V Ctrl-O Return)

--

  .  _\\__[oo   faeces from    | Phones: +44 121 471 3789 (home)

  # ll  l\\  ~~~~ ~   ~ ~    ~ | http://www.wcl.bham.ac.uk/~bam/
 ###LL  LL\\ (Brian McCauley)  |

1. Modem disconnect garble screws up my terminal character set

: When I disconnect from my online system, occasionally, some 8-bit garbage
: comes down the line and sets my terminal's character set real weird.  This
: is for output-only, as I can still type commands and Linux will respond
: correctly.  I just can't understand or read what I typed.  It's as if 0x80
: was added to every character or something, 'cause they all appear as funky
: line drawing characters (from the PC char set), bullets and such.

: What's up?  If no one knows, how can I reset my terminal session to a
: start-up condition without rebooting?

Hit Control-v, Control-o, then enter. It will say command not found, but
reset the terminal.

--

Timothy Buchanan.

2. RH5.2, kernel 2.0.36 : network printing problems

3. Screen characters garbled after leaving XFree86

4. How many serial ports are supported..

5. Dial-in gets garbled characters

6. No Keyboard with Dosemu under X

7. Dial-up login attempt => garbled characters

8. Using Netscape

9. comm program drops/garbles characters under dosemu

10. Garbled characters - how to fix?

11. Garbled Characters on Screen

12. LANG and Mutt: garbled characters

13. Installation from rh 7 cd has partially garbled display...then linux gui is totally garbled display