Random system reboots & Unknown PCI device

Random system reboots & Unknown PCI device

Post by Rainer PUITTINE » Fri, 16 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

We recently bought a S1692DL Tyan Tiger 2 ATX motherboard based Linux
system (One 300Mhz PII CPU for the time being) to replace our old SGI
Indigo2 server. Since the beginning the system has been rebooting at
random intervals by itself. The machine might stay up for a couple of
hours and then reboot out of the blue or it might happen just a couple
of minutes after the previous startup.

/var/log/messages does not contain anything suspicious, except for a
kernel warning about an unknown PCI device (8086:7180) and (8086:7181).
I did read pci.h, determined that it was an Intel device and removed the
eepro100 network card from the system, but the same warning still
appears in the system log after yet another random reboot. The only
other Intel 'PCI device' I can think of is the Intel 440LX AGP chipset.
Now, is that known to cause problems ... or am I completely in the dark
?

Otherwise the system is configured as follows:

- Matrox Millenium w. 4Mb graphics board
- CI-4500F/FW SCSI Adapter
        + IBM DCHS09U 9.1 Gb Hard drive
        + Sony SDT-S7000 DDS unit
        + Sony CSP-9611 CD-R unit
- SoundBlaster 16 value PnP
- Toshiba XM-6102B ATAPI CD-ROM drive
- Inte EtherExpress Pro 100B network adapter

We're running RH5 and the 2.0.33 kernel with the NCR53c8xx driver for
the SCSI board. XFree is version 3.3.1. All APM features have been
turned off from the BIOS and kernel.

Now that the machine has been left running untouched overnight it has
not rebooted by itself.

Any - really ANY - help or pointers to relevant information is greatly
appreciated.

Cheers,

Rainer

Post by Chris Saunderso » Sat, 17 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Indigo2 server. Since the beginning the system has been rebooting at
> random intervals by itself. The machine might stay up for a couple of
> hours and then reboot out of the blue or it might happen just a couple
> of minutes after the previous startup.

I'd look at the power supply, or the fan on the machine. This kind
of behaviour seems to be heat related.

--

Technical Support Engineer      Telephone: (08) 8379 7333
Maptek Pty Ltd                  Fax:       (08) 8379 7377