joliet problems redhat 6.1

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> I am having problems reading joliet cdroms under redhat 6.1.

> Is joleit supposed to work by default wiht the kernel 2.2.x ?
> How am I supposed to configure my /etc/fstab file -- should it say
> joliet (in place of iso9660)?  What if I want to have the option of
> automounting both CD types ?

Joliet support is a kernel configuration option. Look for a line:

CONFIG_JOLIET=y

in your /usr/src/linux/.config file.  If it's not there, fire up
"make config" (or "make menuconfig" or "make xconfig" - your
preference) and chinge the configuration to include it.  Compile
a new kernel and you should be set.

--

joliet problems redhat 6.1

Post by Ambrose Kofi Lai » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I am having problems reading joliet cdroms under redhat 6.1.

Is joleit supposed to work by default wiht the kernel 2.2.x ?
How am I supposed to configure my /etc/fstab file -- should it say
joliet (in place of iso9660)?  What if I want to have the option of
automounting both CD types ?

Thanks,

Ambrose

joliet problems redhat 6.1

Post by Rod Smi » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> I am having problems reading joliet cdroms under redhat 6.1.

> Is joleit supposed to work by default wiht the kernel 2.2.x ?

Joliet support is included with the 2.2.x series kernels, but it's an
option that can be selected or de-selected. I don't know for a fact how
Red Hat configures it by default, but I'd guess it would be selected. I
could be wrong about that, though; it's just a guess.

Quote:> How am I supposed to configure my /etc/fstab file -- should it say
> joliet (in place of iso9660)?  What if I want to have the option of
> automounting both CD types ?

The kernel should auto-detect the CD-ROM filesystem type when you specify
a type of iso9660. It uses the filesystem types in this order:

1) ISO-9660 with Rock Ridge extensions
2) Joliet
3) Plain ISO-9660

You can modify this by using the -o nojoliet or -o norock mount
parameters, though (and it might be worth checking your /etc/fstab to be
sure they're not present).

--

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~smithrod
Author of books on Linux networking & WordPerfect for Linux