Disabling GrabDisplay on xdm/kdm

Post by Steffen Leic » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I'm using an extra application on top of xdm-Login which should receive
keyboard-Input.
I know that this may be a potetial security problem but it's mainly used
in an restricted area of the LAN.
Appl. is written in TCL/TK, using the "grab -global <Window>" command.
I inserted the Line
"DisplayManager*grabServer:      false"
into the .../xdm-config, but the Server keeps being grabbed by xdm.
The Result is that my TK-Appl. tells me that another Application already
got the grab.

I always connect from remote using "X :1 -query ...".

Is there an actual working switch in the Configfile to letting
keyboard-Receptions happen by other Apps. than the Login-Panel?

System is RedHat 5.1, Intel. Although i think that shouldn't be the
matter.

Thanks

Steffen

Steffen Leich                   Phone: 06421-283144

Netzwerkadministration FB Wirtschaftswissenschaften

Post by Brian F. G. Biduloc » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> I'm using an extra application on top of xdm-Login which should receive
> keyboard-Input.

Try digging around in /usr/X11/lib/X11/app-defaults/XBanner
instead.  It is xbanner which is grabbing the display
as executed from /etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 or Xsetup_1 or
wherever it is invoked.

--
Brian F. G. Bidulock, P. Eng.,
Group Leader - Innovation Center

1. Disabling GrabDisplay on xdm/kdm

I'm using an extra application on top of xdm-Login which should receive
keyboard-Input.
I know that this may be a potetial security problem but it's mainly used
in an restricted area of the LAN.
Appl. is written in TCL/TK, using the "grab <Window>" command.
I inserted the Line
"DisplayManager*grabServer:      false"
into the .../xdm-config, but the Server keeps being grabbed by xdm.
The Result is that my TK-Appl. tells me that another Application already
got the grab.

Is there an actual working switch in the Configfile to letting
keyboard-Receptions happen by other Apps. than the Login-Panel?

System is RedHat 5.1, Intel. Although i think that shouldn't be the
matter.

Thanks

Steffen

Steffen Leich                   Phone: 06421-283144

Netzwerkadministration FB Wirtschaftswissenschaften

2. If a process occupies huge memory, how it affect other process?

3. init: Id"X" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes; kdm: Can't lock pid file /var/run/xdm.pid, another xdm is running (pid 827)

4. jvm/jdk RPM for RH5.2??

5. Respawning XDM (or kdm) problem

6. vi Shell Question

7. Hellp!!! xdm and/or kdm?

8. COLA Stats update

9. KDM/xdm: su <user> not authorized to use display :0

10. How to trap output logs from xdm, kdm, startx, etc?

11. xdm/kdm and path Probs

12. xdm/kdm port 1024 usage

13. XDM/KDM reboots systems