Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Post by Carl Swans » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 14:34:32

Subject:

I cannot boot a drive that I know boots in other situations
IDE cable positions.

But in this current position (hdc apparently) it does not.

Somehow on Redhat install hdc=ide-scsi showed up in /etc/grub.conf and
other posts told me I need to remove it in order to get
that hdc harddrive to mount properly.

But, I removed that part in /etc/grub.conf, and it hasn't fixed it,
it still shows up in dmesg.

Others say you need to "rerun GRUB". How does one "rerun GRUB"?
And if not, how do I edit this file and have it updated
on the GRUB boot stage?

Thanks,

Carl

Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Post by Otto Part » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 16:16:17

Quote:> Somehow on Redhat install hdc=ide-scsi showed up in /etc/grub.conf and
> other posts told me I need to remove it in order to get
> that hdc harddrive to mount properly.

I don't have the answer for you, but FYI, that line is probably in there
because in a lot of setups the /dev/hdc device (i.e., the master device
on the secondary IDE hookup) is a CD burner, which (for now at least)
requires SCSI emulation to work under Linux.  I think it's kind of odd
that Red Hat would make that a default, though.

Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Post by Martin Coope » Sun, 05 Jan 2003 18:27:04

Quote:> Subject:

> I cannot boot a drive that I know boots in other situations
> IDE cable positions.

> But in this current position (hdc apparently) it does not.

> Somehow on Redhat install hdc=ide-scsi showed up in /etc/grub.conf
and
> other posts told me I need to remove it in order to get
> that hdc harddrive to mount properly.

> But, I removed that part in /etc/grub.conf, and it hasn't fixed it,
> it still shows up in dmesg.

> Others say you need to "rerun GRUB". How does one "rerun GRUB"?
> And if not, how do I edit this file and have it updated
> on the GRUB boot stage?

> Thanks,

> Carl

Hi Carl,
    are you sure you are looking at the correct file ?  I don't use
redhat, so it could be correct, but grub normally looks in /boot/grub
for it's config file.  Maybe the one in /etc on your system is there
by mistake ?

    Martin

Post by mjt » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 04:05:20

Quote:> Somehow on Redhat install hdc=ide-scsi showed up in /etc/grub.conf and
> other posts told me I need to remove it in order to get
> that hdc harddrive to mount properly.

> But, I removed that part in /etc/grub.conf, and it hasn't fixed it,
> it still shows up in dmesg.

.... /boot/grub/menu.lst

Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Post by Martin Coope » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 06:10:53

Hi,
<snip>
Quote:> .... /boot/grub/menu.lst

Not true of the latest version of grub.  The file is now called
grub.conf as of grub version 0.92.  The following extract is from the
info page that comes with grub :-

Configuration
*************

   You probably noticed that you need to type several commands to boot
your OS. There's a solution to that - GRUB provides a menu interface
(*note Menu interface::) from which you can select an item (using
arrow
keys) that will do everything to boot an OS.

   To enable the menu, you need a configuration file, `grub.conf'
under
the boot directory. We'll analyze an example file.

   The file first contains some general settings, the menu interface
related options. You can put these commands (*note Menu-specific
commands::) before any of the items (starting with `title' (*note
title::)).

Confused the hell out of me after installing a new system with grub.
I spent ages trying to figure out why menu.lst was being ignored.
Renaming it to grub.conf did the trick.

    martin

Quote:

> --

Quote:>  Michael J. Tobler: motorcyclist, surfer,  #    Black holes result

Post by Dave Bro » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:50:23

> Hi,
><snip>
>> .... /boot/grub/menu.lst
> Not true of the latest version of grub.  The file is now called
> grub.conf as of grub version 0.92.  The following extract is from the
> info page that comes with grub :-

> Configuration
> *************

>    You probably noticed that you need to type several commands to boot
> your OS. There's a solution to that - GRUB provides a menu interface
> (*note Menu interface::) from which you can select an item (using
> arrow
> keys) that will do everything to boot an OS.

>    To enable the menu, you need a configuration file, `grub.conf'
> under
> the boot directory. We'll analyze an example file.

Curious.  The grub manual on www.gnu.org (grub being a GNU thing) does not
mention this change, although it claims to document v 0.92.  I thought the
"grub.conf"  file was a RedHat-ism, though they provide symlinks
"/boot/grub/menu.lst", and "/etc/grub.conf".

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Unable to mount IDE hard drive - need GRUB help

Post by Martin Coope » Mon, 06 Jan 2003 23:58:41

<snip>

Quote:> Curious.  The grub manual on www.gnu.org (grub being a GNU thing)
does not
> mention this change, although it claims to document v 0.92.  I
thought the
> "grub.conf"  file was a RedHat-ism, though they provide symlinks
> "/boot/grub/menu.lst", and "/etc/grub.conf".

> --
> Dave Brown  Austin, TX

Hi,
    sorry, my mistake.  I am using gentoo, and I didn't realise they
had patched the source for this behaviour.

    Martin

Post by Dave Bro » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 02:50:55

>> Curious.  The grub manual on www.gnu.org (grub being a GNU thing)
>> does not mention this change, although it claims to document v 0.92.
>> I thought the
>> "grub.conf"  file was a RedHat-ism, though they provide symlinks
>> "/boot/grub/menu.lst", and "/etc/grub.conf".

> sorry, my mistake.  I am using gentoo, and I didn't realise they
> had patched the source for this behaviour.

I'm not sure who's doing it... the man page with RH 7.2, etc., indicates
the config file is /boot/grub/grub.conf.  Perhaps the grub "home page"
just missed the change, and would explain why RH is symlinking all around.

IIRC, the "home-page" manual does not mention the "splashimage" parameter,
which I presumed was also a RedHat-ism; I don't know if it's propagated to
other distributions as well.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

1. Unable to access or mount hard drive/floppy drive from Rescue mode

Hi,

I am trying to boot my Red Hat 6.2 system (PIII 450 Mhz, linux kernel
version 2.2.16) into Rescue mode by booting from the floppy drive, without
accessing the hard drive.  (This is because when I boot into Rescue mode for
real, I will have just formatted the linux filesystems on the hard drive,
and the root partition will not contain a /etc/fstab file. Hence
all the filesystems, including the root filesystem, will not be able to be
mounted.)  FYI, I'm using LILO to dual boot the machine between Win 98 and
Linux; hda1 is FAT32, while hda2 is linux swap and hda3 is linux native
(type 83),

With the Red Hat 6.2 Install CD in the local CD drive and the Red Hat
Install floppy in the floppy drive, I am able to boot into Rescue mode (by
entering "linux rescue" at the "boot:" prompt from the floppy).  (Due to
lack of BIOS support, the system cannot be booted directly from the CD.)

My problem is that after I get the bash shell prompt, I am unable to
mount or otherwise access any of the filesystems on  my hard drive
(/dev/hda1, /dev/hda3) or the floppy drive  (/dev/fd0).  In fact, in the
/dev
directory, the /dev/hda1, /dev/hda3 and /dev/fd0 devices don't even exist.

Does anybody know how I can boot into Rescue mode subject to the following
constraints:
- Booting cleanly from the floppy,
- Without accessing  the hard drive during the boot process,
- But being able to manually access/mount the hard drive filesystems and the
floppy drive after booting.

Thanks,

Dave J.

P.S.  I also tried using the mkbootdisk command to create a boot floppy.
Booting from this floppy failed (kernel panic error message) when the root
filesystem could not be mounted.

2. noisebox -CIA

3. Large IDE Hard Drive as a Second Hard Drive

4. <NEWBIE> How to mount HPFS disk?

5. Disk Druid , mount hard drive, partitioning hard drive

6. Debian's gcc-3.0-20010609 refuses to compile kernel :-(

7. Need Help Mounting A Hard Drive

8. php

9. unable to mount win95 hard drive

10. Need Help Mounting A Hard Drive

11. Unable to mount second hard-drive

12. Help mounting an all-DOS hard drive needed

13. Need Help Mounting A Hard Drive