Buying MODEM for Linux: advice needed

Post by Bob Liesenfel » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Does anybody know of a list of Linux-friendly modem makers?

> Thanks for your help!

> Bern

 Hi,
   Yup those gosh darn 'win-modems' don't work well without Windoze... I just
got a US Robotics 33.6 kbs Sportster faxmodem and I'm using it to send this
message running linux. It was about $140.00 with a $40 rebate
Hope this helps
--
Genuine E-mail From the Land of the Everlasting Icicle...
Bob Liesenfeld

Post by David Welto » Tue, 15 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> > Does anybody know of a list of Linux-friendly modem makers?

> > Thanks for your help!

For hardware that *doesn't* work, check out the linux incompatibility
list, at lil.ashpool.com.  Under modems, I have:

Category: modems
Manufacturer Name: Any
Model Name/Number: All DSVD modems
Level of difficulty: 1. No driver - does not function with Linux
Reason for incompatibility: 3. The manufacturer will not release specs
Misc. notes:
Working on a driver:

Category: modems
Manufacturer Name: US Robotics or associated company
Model Name/Number: Winmodem, all releases
Level of difficulty: 1. No driver - does not function with Linux
Reason for incompatibility: 3. The manufacturer will not release specs
Misc. notes:
Working on a driver:

Category: modems
Manufacturer Name: Sierra Semiconductor
Model Name/Number: Sierra 28 PnP 3465
Level of difficulty: 1. No driver - does not function with Linux
Reason for incompatibility: 1. No one has written a driver for this device
Misc. notes:
Working on a driver:

Category: modems
Manufacturer Name: BOCA
Model Name/Number: OnlineExpress v.34 (model MV34AI)
Level of difficulty: 1. No driver - does not function with Linux
Reason for incompatibility: 1. No one has written a driver for this device
Misc. notes:
Working on a driver:

--
David Welton

Se quest'email e` in Italiano, mi dispiace per gli errori:-) FORZA PANTANI!
                                --Linuxista--

Post by Bob Hau » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anybody know of a list of Linux-friendly modem makers?

Any external modem made by almost anybody will work fine.

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

Post by Kevin E Cosgro » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

|> > Does anybody know of a list of Linux-friendly modem makers?

        It depends on what software you want compatibility with.
        For Hylafax, a good place to look is:

            http://www.vix.com/hylafax/FAQ/Q3.html

        I chose an external MT2834ZDXV from MultiTech.

        Cheers....

1. Buying MODEM for Linux: advice needed

There isn't really a list of Linux-friendly _anything_ makers.
You can count the number of corporations on one hand:
Buslogic, Digi, Cyclades. Am I missing any? Unless you just
want two multi-port serial boards and a SCSI controller,
you're going to have to delve into the world of anti-Linux
hardware manufacturers to fully equip your system.

First mistake you made was to go to a local store. They know
nothing about computers, but a lot about dead presidents'
pictures. For one thing, you'll pay about twice what the
hardware is worth, and you'll end up with junk.

Second mistake you made was not differentiating between
"for Windows" and "Windows 95 only". "For Windows" usually
indicates that a particular part is for the PC architecture.
"Windows 95 only" means that it will only run in Windows 95.
You got stuck with an infamous US Robotics Winmodem, that
isn't really a modem, and as such only works with special
emulation software only available for Windows 95.

To buy a modem, you look for a serial modem. Even internal
modems are simply serial ports hard wired to a modem on
a little fiberglass card. Winmodems and MWave modems are
DSP modems, not serial modems. They simply use sound-card
technology to make the warbles and squeals on the phone
line and depend on the CPU to figure out if a warble
means 0 and a squeal means 1 or vice versa. Serial modems
take care of that by themselves, and send a simple digital
stream of 1's and 0's down to the system. Also beware of
the other bane of Linux modeming: the RPI modem. It is a
serial modem, but it lacks error correction and hardware
compression in hardware.

--
Mathew E. Kirsch, CLSE (Certifiable Linux Systems Engineer)
*Opinions expressed herein do not reflect those of my employer.

"If you don't have time to read the FAQ, I don't have time to read it to
you."

2. Lintrolls are morons!

3. Need advice in buying new modem

4. Can anyone help please. Mail 'alarm' question.

5. Need advice on buying a system for Linux

6. New or Revised TAs on websco, 961022

7. Need advice on buying CD-ROM for Linux

8. Redirecting std error and std output Query!

9. Need advice on buying a new Linux box

10. Advice needed in buying a laptop PC that will work with Linux.

11. Need advice on SCSI-2 VLB to buy

12. Need advice on a good book to buy !

13. need some CD-R buying advice