Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by TNC » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Here's a little flamebait for you all.  What is the best distro and GUI
combo? By "best" let me explain.  I'm a very experienced Linux
user/admin.  I started back around 92 with slackware and am currently
using Redhat 5.0.  I've heard many terrible things about RH6.0 and am
wary.  What I want is a distro that installs smoothly, has a good GUI
(OK, this is also a question about Gnome/KDE) and has a binary package
installation system that checks dependencies, etc...  I liked slackware
but after a while I gave it up b/c they use tarballs and make you
compile everything.  As I understand it they still do. Opinions? -
please CC to my email as my newsserver is slow and flaky.  Thanks.

--
"Gun control proposals are nothing more than a modern liberal
suggestion that government, which is unable to protect its citizens,

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by J.H.M. Dassen (R » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

[Experienced admin looking for new distribution with good dependency
handling]

You may want to look at Debian GNU/Linux (http://www.debian.org/). It
attracts mostly experienced Linux users, many of which describe switching to
it as a "graduation".

Currently, GNOME is available for Debian. The Debian project does not ship
KDE due to licensing issues, but KDE binaries in Debian package format are
available from a third party.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Donn Mille » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Here's a little flamebait for you all.  What is the best distro and GUI
> combo? By "best" let me explain.  I'm a very experienced Linux

I think GNOME is prettier than KDE.  KDE is little more complete,
as it has its own web browser.  But GNOME is better looking than
KDE.

As for window managers, I like WindowMaker;  it's pretty nice
looking.  I thought Afterstep was pretty nice also, but it seemed
a little too quirky.  So now, I'm using WindowMaker 0.60.0.
Isn't Enlightenment kind of like WindowMaker in that it has a
NextStep like user interface?  Yeah, when GnuStep comes out, it
will probably put the smack down on both KDE and GNOME as the
best looking desktop on the X11 planet.  I like WindowMaker
because it has those neat square dockable icons.

Another I like about wmaker is that once you start certain apps
for the first time, such as gvim, Netscape, and Acrobat reader,
you can drag the icons over to the dock.  Then, you can just
click on the icons in the dock the Next time you start the
programs.  I think the dock-able apps look pretty cool in general
(such as wmWeather and asclock).

In a way, I think WindowMaker is easier than KDE or GNOME to
configure, because all you need to do to add an icon to the dock
is start the program the first time, and then drag its icon to
the dock.  In KDE and GNOME, you need to open up some cascading
menus to do the same task.

KDE is pretty nice, but it looks a little too plain-jane.  Also,
I don't even use half of those apps that KDE has as part of its
distro, such as kmail and krn.  So, I like something simple, yet
good looking, but not as simple as fvwm2.  WindowMaker and
Enlightenment seem to fit those criterion.

But, to each his own, and that's one of the nice things about
X11.  I'm not going to force anyone to use WindowMaker/GNUStep,
and no one's going to force me to use KDE or GNOME.  There's a
wide range of GUIs available to fit individual needs, which is
what's so great about X's "mechanism not policy" policy.  Who
knows, maybe there's some nut out there who think twm is great
looking window manager.  ;&)

HTH.

--Donn

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Tim Kelle » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Here's a little flamebait for you all.  What is the best distro and GUI
> combo? By "best" let me explain.  I'm a very experienced Linux
> user/admin.  I started back around 92 with slackware and am currently
> using Redhat 5.0.  I've heard many terrible things about RH6.0 and am
> wary.  What I want is a distro that installs smoothly, has a good GUI
> (OK, this is also a question about Gnome/KDE) and has a binary package
> installation system that checks dependencies, etc...  I liked slackware
> but after a while I gave it up b/c they use tarballs and make you
> compile everything.  As I understand it they still do. Opinions? -
> please CC to my email as my newsserver is slow and flaky.  Thanks.

I've used just about all of them and I wound up liking debian the
most after using it a lot (and initially not liking it at all).
The install is quite a pain because it's interactive.  I will say
that everything is a little harder with Debian, even harder than
slackware. That said Debian is a bit behind the other distros in
WRT to packages; many are out of date, so you might have to
download/compile a few things.  I'm wondering myself why package
maintainers can't update package within a certain release ...
especially X.  Keeping X up to date is pretty critical to keeping
people using your distribution (yeah I'm aware of the problems
that caused slink to have a old version of xfree).  I also use
debian for ethical reasons.  I think debian will eventually
outstrip the others as it gains developers.

Debian with KDE 1.1.1 (there are debs available) is very very
nice.

RedHat 6 is terrible.  RedHat 5.2 is pretty darn good.  slackware
4.0 is really nice too.  SuSE I hear is pretty good.
--
Tim Kelley

"If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve"

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Torleiv Flatebo Ringe » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Well, I have upgraded my lab from RH5.0 to RH6.0, and have had a few
problems, although they were resolved with not too much effort, and
all in all, it was a smooth transition. I setup user skels to use
gnome/enlightenment combo as the default desktop/wm, but the users
consistently went back to kde. I have found that gnome will crash,
without he user really realizing it, and their .xsession-error files
will fill up my servers partition (read 300meg text file of nothing
but b's).

So, RH6 is a very nice distro to load in a lab where users are
generally new to un*x, are mostly used to windows nt (the other side
of our lab). The gui of kde is reminicent of the mac os, and users are
very comfortable with this gui. It is also easy to shutdown and reboot
with kdm (point and click).

I have not had any of these machines flake out on me yet, and RH6
supported all of the hardware I could throw at it (at least stuff that
was made at least a year ago).

As for administration, the new linuxconf tool is really getting
somewhere, and the kde control center is really easy for users to
customize their session.

Also, many users who are familiar with linux have used a RH system,
and I can give them the CD to take home and load onto their machines.
Sure, i would rather use Debian or Mandrake, but for homogeny, and
therefore support, i felt RH was the best choice.

Quote:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Message <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Linux Distro? / Best GUI?:

Quote:> Here's a little flamebait for you all.  What is the best distro and
GUI
> combo? By "best" let me explain.  I'm a very experienced Linux
> user/admin.  I started back around 92 with slackware and am currently
> using Redhat 5.0.  I've heard many terrible things about RH6.0 and am
> wary.  What I want is a distro that installs smoothly, has a good GUI
> (OK, this is also a question about Gnome/KDE) and has a binary package
> installation system that checks dependencies, etc...  I liked
slackware
> but after a while I gave it up b/c they use tarballs and make you
> compile everything.  As I understand it they still do. Opinions? -
> please CC to my email as my newsserver is slow and flaky.  Thanks.
> --
> "Gun control proposals are nothing more than a modern liberal
> suggestion that government, which is unable to protect its citizens,
> makes sure those citizens cannot defend themselves."
>          - Robert. H. Bork

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Steve Gag » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> RedHat 6 is terrible.  RedHat 5.2 is pretty darn good.  slackware
> 4.0 is really nice too.  SuSE I hear is pretty good.

Just curious what you find "terrible" about RH 6. I've had a very smooth
experience with it.

- Steve

Quote:> "If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve"

"The laws weren't made to protect the man from out of town"

 (Bill Morrisey)

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Tim Kelle » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > RedHat 6 is terrible.  RedHat 5.2 is pretty darn good.  slackware
> > 4.0 is really nice too.  SuSE I hear is pretty good.

> Just curious what you find "terrible" about RH 6. I've had a very smooth
> experience with it.

oh, many bugs.  rpm doesn't work right (many times I installed
packages, only to have "rpm -e package" tell me it wasn't
installed, but rpm -qa would list it right there.

many others with gnome and kde.

--

Post by matt » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Here's a little flamebait for you all.  What is the best distro and GUI
> combo? By "best" let me explain.  I'm a very experienced Linux
> user/admin.  I started back around 92 with slackware and am currently
> using Redhat 5.0.  I've heard many terrible things about RH6.0 and am
> wary.  What I want is a distro that installs smoothly, has a good GUI
> (OK, this is also a question about Gnome/KDE) and has a binary package
> installation system that checks dependencies, etc...  I liked slackware
> but after a while I gave it up b/c they use tarballs and make you
> compile everything.  As I understand it they still do. Opinions? -
> please CC to my email as my newsserver is slow and flaky.  Thanks.

My first Linux was Linux Slackware 2.0, and I still use it to this day
(Slack 4.0).  I think SLackware is the best for people like you.  Sure,
there are some complications, like compiling packages and stuff, but it
works great.  I love Slack!  I can't imagine a person such as yourself
moving to those newbie distros like Red*or Mandrake.  It's in my
opinion, anyway.

Matt

/

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by John Giras » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: Here's a little flamebait for you all.  What is the best distro and GUI
: combo? By "best" let me explain.  I'm a very experienced Linux
: user/admin.  I started back around 92 with slackware and am currently
: using Redhat 5.0.  I've heard many terrible things about RH6.0 and am
: wary.  What I want is a distro that installs smoothly, has a good GUI
: (OK, this is also a question about Gnome/KDE) and has a binary package
: installation system that checks dependencies, etc...  I liked slackware
: but after a while I gave it up b/c they use tarballs and make you
: compile everything.  As I understand it they still do. Opinions? -
: please CC to my email as my newsserver is slow and flaky.  Thanks.

I started with Slackware (pre-ELF) in '93 and found the switch to Debian
well worth it.  The dpkg system is quite robust and easy to admin.
I can't say anything about KDE/Gnome/etc but have never found a reason
to switch from good ol' Xfree86/fwvm, and many reasons not to switch.

followsup line cropped
cheers
jg

: --
: "Gun control proposals are nothing more than a modern liberal
: suggestion that government, which is unable to protect its citizens,
: makes sure those citizens cannot defend themselves."
:          - Robert. H. Bork

??? Guns hurt more people through accidents than through intentional use.
    Therefore gun control is making sure citizens cannot hurt themselves.
    (Whether you think this is a good thing or not is a different matter.)

--
"don't listen when you're told about the best days in your life     Spirit of
 a useless old expression, it means passing time until you die."     the West

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Phil Hu » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> RedHat 6 is terrible.  RedHat 5.2 is pretty darn good.  slackware
> 4.0 is really nice too.  SuSE I hear is pretty good.

I use SuSE6.0. By PC can with RedHat pre-installed, but I didn't
like it so I switch to SuSE instead.

Can anyone tell me if there's a Linux equivalent of the BSOD --
I've not had Linux crash since I installed SuSE6.0 (5 months ago), and
I'm curious.

--

 - Linux will be 8 years old on 17th September! See: -
http://www.vision25.demon.co.uk/prog/linuxbirthday.html

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Jerry Lynn Krep » Fri, 03 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> > > RedHat 6 is terrible.  RedHat 5.2 is pretty darn good.  slackware
> > > 4.0 is really nice too.  SuSE I hear is pretty good.

> > Just curious what you find "terrible" about RH 6. I've had a very smooth
> > experience with it.

> oh, many bugs.  rpm doesn't work right (many times I installed
> packages, only to have "rpm -e package" tell me it wasn't
> installed, but rpm -qa would list it right there.

I noticed that 'catch-22' behavior with every version of rpm since I
began using RH 5.0, then 5.1 (which came and went very quickly) followed
by 5.2 and then RH 6.0, which I ran at work.  When I switched to SuSE
5.3 I noticed that rpm in that distro had the same problems, but YaST
bypasses it unless you install a package manually.  Same with SuSE 6.1
and 6.2, which I now use.  I replaced the RH 6.0 at work with SuSE 6.2.
YaST is a very nice system tool.

I have nearly a dozen distros setting on CDs in my desk drawer, but I've
settled on SuSE as the best one for me.  I like the fact that they
tested the 1000+ apps on the 5 (now 6) cd and configured them to install
automatically on your system when you use YaST and select them from the
package list on the CD.  All desktops (mainly fwwm, fwm95, KDE, GNOME
and some others) have the package on the menu and the environment is
setup with the appropriate variable assignments.  When you uninstall a
package everything is appropriately undone for you.  Very nice.

> many others with gnome and kde.

> --
> Tim Kelley

> "If evolution is outlawed only outlaws will evolve"

--

JLK
"The measure of worth - 'wealth' - is knowledge and competence.

Best Linux Distro? / Best GUI?

Post by Navindra Umane » Sat, 04 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Debian is a good distribution.  Unfortunately it is plagued by
bureaucracy and political bullshit.  To give you an idea of how bad
the bureaucracy is, I applied for debian developer 8 months ago and my
application still hasn't gone through all the red tape.  I say*
that but I wonder how many others are turning away.  To see how bad
the politics is, subscribe to some of the Debian lists.

Also, unlike most other distributions, Debian doesn't ship KDE nor any
of the hundreds of KDE applications.  Fortunately you can get some of
these from http://www.veryComputer.com/;My hopes lie on the Corel
distribution which will be based on Debian and KDE.

-N.
--
"These download files are in Microsoft Word 6.0 format.  After unzipping,
these files can be viewed in any text editor, including all versions of

1. Which distro is best for a Non GUI linux install

I have a question about installing a non GUI linux.  My friend and I got 2
486 computers (16MB RAM, 420MB HDD, onboard video, floppy drive, and a cdrom
drive that isnt supported by the BIOS and I use a boot disk to access it)
for $30 and I advised him to put linux on them.  I tried to install Peanut
Linux, but Xwindows messed up and from other posts' advice, I dont think a
GUI would be a good idea.  The question is, "What distribution of Linux
would be best for running these as web/ftp/mail (prolly just web) servers
and without a gui?"

P.S. I am sort of a n00b, so tread lightly

----------
"Unix? What's that? Is that like Linux?"
-- Jurgen Botz

"What Linux can do hasn't been dreamed
of yet." -- Christopher Young

"Linux does not solve all the problems.
But we are working on it." -- Alan Cox

"The side of the software box said it
requires Windows 98 or better...
So I installed Linux." -- Quote from a Linux Usenet group user

"E pluribus UNIX" -- Quote from a Linux Usenet group user

"Programming today is a race between
software engineers striving to build bigger
and better idiot-proof programs, and the
Universe trying to produce bigger and
better idiots. So far, the Universe is
winning."  -- Rich Cook

2. fetchmail, gehostbyname and /etc/hosts/ problems

3. **GUI Engineer** - Red Herring's Best Company with the Best Product for 1998

4. ./bash/<filename> file or command not known

5. information on GUI design and what in market is the best develop in GUI

6. Job control in the 'rc' shell.

7. What is the best/most powerful distro of linux?

8. Mounting CDROM in Linux Redhat 4.1

9. Best Linux distro?

10. which is the best of the best linux !!!

11. Best distro for linux on P233/MMX

12. Best Linux distro for pentium 166 and 32 mb ram ?

13. Best Linux distro for Sparc?