suse 7.3 kde 2.2.1 kppp question

Post by Paul E. Lehman » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 03:58:51

I am now experiencing difficulty connecting to my ISP.

I wrote to my ISP and they responded thusly:

A recent upgrade to our authentication server has yielded an unexpected side
affect: users who manually authenticate, instead of using PAP, are given
shell access instead of PPP access. The fix is easy, thankfully. All that
you need to do is switch to PAP, which involves creating a file
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets that looks like:

<username>              *                    <password>

Then, you need to edit your chat script to initiate PPP immediately after
connecting, such as with this script:

#!/bin/sh
#
exec /usr/sbin/chat -v                                  \
        TIMEOUT         3                               \
        ABORT           '\nBUSY\r'                      \
        ABORT           '\nNO ANSWER\r'                 \
        ABORT           '\nRINGING\r\n\r\nRINGING\r'    \
        ''              \rAT                            \
        'OK-+++\c-OK'   ATH0                            \
        TIMEOUT         30                              \
        OK              ATDT$TELEPHONE                  \
        CONNECT         ''

My question is WHERE is the script I am to modify or is this is a new script
I need to add to somewhere.  I use kde 2.2.1 kppp to connect to the internet
and there is nothing in the GUI or any options for kppp that has a place to
place a script.

Post by Garry Knigh » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 06:40:09

> I wrote to my ISP and they responded thusly:
[...]
> All that you need to do is switch to PAP

[snip details of pap-secrets and login script]

Quote:> My question is WHERE is the script I am to modify or is this is a new
> script I need to add to somewhere.  I use kde 2.2.1 kppp to connect to
> the internet and there is nothing in the GUI or any options for kppp
> that has a place to place a script.

There *is* a place for a login script, but you shouldn't need to use it.
Run kppp, click Setup, double-click the account name, select PAP from the
Authentication drop-down menu about 2/3 the way down the dialog.

You might notice the "Login Script" tab, which is where you'd enter a
login script. If you prefer to do it that way, select "Script-based" from
the Authentication menu.

By the way, your pap-secrets file is in /etc/ppp and you can enter a line
in it like this (if it hasn't already got one):
   yourusername  *  "yourpassword"

--
Garry Knight

Linux registered user 182025

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 07 Mar 2002 11:41:45

>> I wrote to my ISP and they responded thusly:
> [...]
>> All that you need to do is switch to PAP
> [snip details of pap-secrets and login script]

>> My question is WHERE is the script I am to modify or is this is a new
>> script I need to add to somewhere.  I use kde 2.2.1 kppp to connect to
>> the internet and there is nothing in the GUI or any options for kppp
>> that has a place to place a script.

> There *is* a place for a login script, but you shouldn't need to use it.
> Run kppp, click Setup, double-click the account name, select PAP from the
> Authentication drop-down menu about 2/3 the way down the dialog.

> You might notice the "Login Script" tab, which is where you'd enter a
> login script. If you prefer to do it that way, select "Script-based" from
> the Authentication menu.

> By the way, your pap-secrets file is in /etc/ppp and you can enter a line
> in it like this (if it hasn't already got one):
>    yourusername  *  "yourpassword"

However, kppp has its own agent for providing PAP or CHAP username and
password, so that is unnecessary when using kppp (my kppp does PAP auth
for multiple ISPs with nothing in pap-secrets or chap-secrets).  My box
that does adsl does have entries, but that is for pppoe not kppp.

For some other connection methods wvdial may automatically attempt a shell
login if it sees what looks like one.  If that shows up in your logs, set
'Stupid Mode = 1' (without quotes) in /etc/wvdial.conf.

--
David Efflandt - All spam ignored
http://www.nsscc.com/ - free driver school Friday nights in March

suse 7.3 kde 2.2.1 kppp question

Post by Paul Lehman » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 02:18:43

Thanks Garry and Dave
Clicking on PAP worked like a charm.  Now back on Linux for my main system
instead of Windows.  I appreciate the help and was afraid I would get
in its description of pppd in the manuals.  Thanks again

>> I wrote to my ISP and they responded thusly:
> [...]
>> All that you need to do is switch to PAP
> [snip details of pap-secrets and login script]

>> My question is WHERE is the script I am to modify or is this is a new
>> script I need to add to somewhere.  I use kde 2.2.1 kppp to connect to
>> the internet and there is nothing in the GUI or any options for kppp
>> that has a place to place a script.

> There *is* a place for a login script, but you shouldn't need to use it.
> Run kppp, click Setup, double-click the account name, select PAP from the
> Authentication drop-down menu about 2/3 the way down the dialog.

> You might notice the "Login Script" tab, which is where you'd enter a
> login script. If you prefer to do it that way, select "Script-based" from
> the Authentication menu.

> By the way, your pap-secrets file is in /etc/ppp and you can enter a line
> in it like this (if it hasn't already got one):
>    yourusername  *  "yourpassword"

1. A question on upgrading to KDE 3.0.1 from KDE 2.2.2 (SuSE 7.3)

Well I downloaded all the rpms and deps from kde.org and SuSE.com into one
folder.

When I run 'rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm' I get the following:
"file /etc/ppp/peers/kppp from install of kdenetwork3-3.0.1-18 conflicts with
 file from package kdenetwork-2.2.1-32".

Is this likely to be a problem? I upgraded to 2.2.2 via SuSE's online update.

I have a copy of the post-install instructions from the SuSE unofficial FAQs
page; and I know from reading alt.os.linux.suse to stay away from the
kde2-compat rpm.
--
I have an understanding with my local police--I have them outgunned, but
they have me outnumbered.

2. Help Install Slackware 2.1

3. problem with SuSE Linux 7.3 kppp

4. Problem with MD and RAID1 setup

5. cannot link static using KDE 2.2.1 (Suse 7.3)

6. W3C HTTPD-How to disallow by IP

7. KDE 2.2.2, SuSE 7.3: kio_help disfunctional

8. Problem with Creative ide CD drive...

9. SuSE 7.3 SPARC and KDE

10. No Font-AA in KDE 3.0.2 on SuSE 7.3

11. Help needed: Font Anti-Aliasing under SuSE Linux 7.3 (KDE 2.2.1) no longer works

12. KDE 3.x and SUSE 7.3 Pro?

13. Why is SuSE updates for 7.3 older than 7.3?