Mandrake - Nondestructive install question.

Mandrake - Nondestructive install question.

Post by Dave Critell » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello:

I was wondering if anyone knew if Mandrake will wipe a partition clean
before doing a Install and if so is there any way to just get it to
overwrite files.  I need to upgrade my software and Mandrake's "update"
option issues an error; "failed to open
/mnt/var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.9/packages.rpm".

Thanks.
Dave

Post by Greg Chave » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Hello:

> I was wondering if anyone knew if Mandrake will wipe a partition clean
> before doing a Install and if so is there any way to just get it to
> overwrite files.  I need to upgrade my software and Mandrake's "update"
> option issues an error; "failed to open
> /mnt/var/lib/rpmrebuilddb.9/packages.rpm".

> Thanks.
> Dave

Yes Mandrake will wipe at least your root partition clean during primary
install, you can choose not to reformat your other partitions if you have
any, like /usr or /home.
If you need to update, choose the "Mandrake FTP updates" icon on your
desktop.  If you are logged in as a regular user, you will be asked for
your root password.

Generally,if you get a "failed to open" message, try logging in or "su" to
root and retry.

Mandrake - Nondestructive install question.

Post by Dave Critell » Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> Yes Mandrake will wipe at least your root partition clean during primary
> install, you can choose not to reformat your other partitions if you have
> any, like /usr or /home.
> If you need to update, choose the "Mandrake FTP updates" icon on your
> desktop.  If you are logged in as a regular user, you will be asked for
> your root password.

> Generally,if you get a "failed to open" message, try logging in or "su" to
> root and retry.

Thanks for the info Greg.  I have a new Mandrake 7.0 CD so I don't need to
download the files.  I'm assuming it will act the same as the FTP updates.

I still have the bullet hole in my foot on this one.  My Xwindow server
crapped out (so I can't log in or get a console screen)  and I can't find my
boot diskette.  Oh what a lessen!

Thanks again for your help.
Dave