Shutdown with additional power shutdown, why does it not work?

Shutdown with additional power shutdown, why does it not work?

Post by Konstantin Wies » Mon, 25 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am using Kernel 2.2.12 and issueing halt -p command
but the ATX system does not power off, what can be the
reasons?

Shutdown with additional power shutdown, why does it not work?

Post by Aaro » Wed, 27 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Do you have APM compiled into the kernel or the APM module loaded?
During the boot process does it show that APMD loaded successfully??
(You can view the boot process by typing 'dmesg'.)
Also if using the module, you can see if it is loaded by doing an 'lsmod'

I personally use the auto-poweroff for Linux, my APMD support is compiled
into the kernel.

Hope this helps.

Post by Eddy Youn » Thu, 28 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> I am using Kernel 2.2.12 and issueing halt -p command
> but the ATX system does not power off, what can be the
> reasons?

Hello Konstantin,

I do 'shutdown -h' and it shuts down correctly.

1. Power down on shutdown -p not working

Hi,

I'm trying to get get 'shutdown -p now' to actually power off my
system. I compiled apm0 in my kernel and enabled apmd in rc.conf.

The system log shows that /dev/apm cannot be opened even though it is
made: "sh /dev/MAKEDEV apm". I suspect either APM is not detected or
something is wrong accessing /dev/apm.

Should "dmesg" show any message if it detects apm?

Relevant info:
-"apmd -d -v" just exits stating /dev/apm cannot be opened.
-version: FreeBSD 4.5 RELEASE
- Windows 98 shutdown power off on the same system works.
- Phoenix BIOS does not feature APM enable/disable

Any suggestions appreciated.

2. Linux with NT workstation

3. Why does shutdown() not work?

4. Local Web?

5. Why my Solaris shutdown command dose not work?

6. mgetty+sendfax-1.0.0 and pppd v2.3.3 work well ? (NT and linux conn)

7. Does a linux guru know why shutdown does not work under xdm?

8. SUN X server

9. Shutdown not running rc.shutdown

10. why my computer can't automatically power off after shutdown

11. can Linux trash a DOS partition after "power switch shutdown"?

12. RH 7.2 Power Management, power-off on shutdown?

13. shutdown does not power off