EIDE as 2nd controller with third driver

EIDE as 2nd controller with third driver

Post by Steve Walk » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I need to find out if anyone has built a device driver for the
PROMISE Technology Inc. EIDEmax disk controller, which is used as the
SECONDARY controller with a third driver

I need the device driver /dev/hdc, in order to re-compile the kernel for
a new boot floppy/system in order for linux fdisk to recognize my third drive.

OR instructions (FAQ) on how to build a device driver that would allow
linux to recognize the secondary controller with the third drive?

Is the following logic correct?
 DRIVE ONE: AST Advantage! Plus 486DX2-66: IDE intergrated controller
  /dev/hda1 first controller first partition
  /dev/hda2 first controller second partition etc..
 DRIVE TWO:
  /dev/hdb1 first controller first partition          slave drive
  /dev/hdb2 first controller second partition etc..

*DRIVE THREE: Promise Technology EIDEmax
  /dev/hdc1 SECOND controller first partition
  /dev/hdc2 second controller second partition etc..
 DRIVE FOUR:
  /dev/hdd1 second controller first partition        slave drive
  /dev/hdd2 second controller second partition etc..

Any help? my linux system has been out for three weeks waiting for a
response to this question? or advise besides not using drives on the
second controller.

Thank-you,
Steve A. Walker

1. linux on 2nd EIDE HDD as primary on 2nd EIDE controller

Hi to All!
  I have a NEC PowerMatev75 w/32MB RAM, and 2 EIDE drives.  They used to be
on the same chain, but when I installed them in this machine I gave each
its own drive controller.  Linux fdisk doesn't see the second hdd, or I
don't know how to tell it the right address.  /dev/hda doesn't work, and
neither does /dev/hdb.  What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Doug Hayden

2. PGCC and BogoMIPS

3. EIDE as 2nd controller, 3rd drive need driver driver

4. COFF with LINUX

5. third EIDE controller

6. Jazz 16 Sound on the TI TravelMate 4000M

7. 2nd EIDE controller on i430Tx

8. Changing from Static IP over to DHCP

9. EIDE 2nd Controller, HD Detection CHS params.

10. 2nd Controller EIDE - Large Dr

11. EIDE 2nd Controller, HD Detection CHS params.

12. How to Install Linux on 2nd EIDE given Existing Primary EIDE w/Win95?

13. IDE/EIDE controller device drivers