The "new" warez law and the "gnu" answer - Give me a BREAK!

The "new" warez law and the "gnu" answer - Give me a BREAK!

Post by Jeffrey Se » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

> Any comments??...this thread is on alt.binaries.warez.ibm.pc
> >If you only know how to use Linux or even UNIX, your employment
> >prospects are shrinking, and RAPIDLY.  While if you're an expert in
> >using, programming and administering NT4 and 95 you're on the start of
> >the growth curve.  I know, I earn my living as a computer consultant
> >(for over 20 years) and I was a PROMINENT X/Motif/OpenLook developer.
> >I've watched the number of openings for this technology steadily
> >shrink over the past 18 months and I see - and help - companies switch
> >over to NT for database servers and workstations EVERY DAY!

I think this guy is ignoring a very large and important aspect of
computing. Industrial controls.......

You want a 100 million dollar + state of the art minimill running on NT??

The "new" warez law and the "gnu" answer - Give me a BREAK!

Post by Don Krau » Fri, 28 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Jeffrey Senn says...

> > Any comments??...this thread is on alt.binaries.warez.ibm.pc

> > >If you only know how to use Linux or even UNIX, your employment
> > >prospects are shrinking, and RAPIDLY.  While if you're an expert in
> > >using, programming and administering NT4 and 95 you're on the start of
> > >the growth curve.  I know, I earn my living as a computer consultant
> > >(for over 20 years) and I was a PROMINENT X/Motif/OpenLook developer.
> > >I've watched the number of openings for this technology steadily
> > >shrink over the past 18 months and I see - and help - companies switch
> > >over to NT for database servers and workstations EVERY DAY!

> I think this guy is ignoring a very large and important aspect of
> computing. Industrial controls.......

> You want a 100 million dollar + state of the art minimill running on NT??

Just another example of someone brain-washed enough to think
"computer=PC" <VBG>

(Gee, we are in the process of switching our companies from Win to linux.
Why? Simple, hardware costs. linux breaths new life into solid, stable
but to slow for windows old 386/486s. There are plenty of small business
out there, looking for better answers to their computing needs, than new
hardware every 2 years)
--
=Don=

This is for the spammers:

If you are clueless: Remove SPAM.SUCKS from my address.

"For millions of years, man lived just like the animals.
Then something happened which unleashed the power of our
imagination... We learned to talk"

Post by Eric Lee Gre » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>I think this guy is ignoring a very large and important aspect of
>computing. Industrial controls.......

>You want a 100 million dollar + state of the art minimill running on NT??

Err, actually Microsoft is trying to do exactly that, in conjunction with
WonderWare, who is probably going to be the next Microsoft buyout partner
(remember Fox?).

Sure, it's unstable crud, crashes all the time, etc... but so far
there is not anything running on Linux which makes it so easy to do
industrial controls. For that matter, I don't recall much at all for
Unix that would make it easy to do industrial controls, with the
exception of maybe some package from HP (but who can afford HP?). With
Wonderware, even moron engineers can get something (somewhat) working
quite rapidly, without the hassle of trying to find computer

sensor is supposed to be doing ("What? I have to do flow rate
calculations based on plate diameter? Huh?  What's that?").

   Linux & Educational Administration computer solutions

Post by j.. » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Eric Lee Green writes:
> With Wonderware, even moron engineers can get something (somewhat)
> working quite rapidly, without the hassle of trying to find computer

> is supposed to be doing ("What? I have to do flow rate calculations based
> on plate diameter? Huh?  What's that?").

There are still a few of us out here who are both programmers and engineers
and make it our business to do exactly that sort of thing.

And there are managers out there who try to insist that we do it in VB.
Think about it.  Industrial controls in VB.
--
John Hasler                This posting is in the public domain.

Dancing Horse Hill         Make money from it if you can; I don't mind.
Elmwood, Wisconsin         Do not send email adverti*ts to this address.

The "new" warez law and the "gnu" answer - Give me a BREAK!

Post by Kevin Han » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

says...

>I think this guy is ignoring a very large and important aspect of
>computing. Industrial controls.......

>You want a 100 million dollar + state of the art minimill running on NT??

How about a bag handling system at an international airport?

Anyone know if they ever got that to work?

Post by Aivars Valdman » Sat, 29 Nov 1997 04:00:00

>> Any comments??...this thread is on alt.binaries.warez.ibm.pc

>> >the growth curve.  I know, I earn my living as a computer consultant
>> >(for over 20 years) and I was a PROMINENT X/Motif/OpenLook developer.

It seems the poor bastard never was a PROMINENT X/Motif... or
something another developer. Now he's trying to develop more troubles
for people with better clues whining and gargling about switching
to lose *from Redmond.

--
* Aivars Valdmanis             | "No names, camrade Ostrovich!"

Post by Bob Hau » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> says...
>>You want a 100 million dollar + state of the art minimill running on NT??
> How about a bag handling system at an international airport?

Err...that was OS/2.  At least if you're referring to the Denver aiport.

Quote:> Anyone know if they ever got that to work?

Apparently.  At least the last time I flew through Denver my bag survived
the trip.

--

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

The "new" warez law and the "gnu" answer - Give me a BREAK!

Post by Christopher B. Brow » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>How about a bag handling system at an international airport?

>Anyone know if they ever got that to work?

If memory serves, that debacle was  Dulles International Airport in
Washington DC, and that was a case where an OS/2-base d project went
very bad.  Which probably had little to do with the underlying
technology, and a whole lot to do with the way project was being
managed.
--

PGP Fingerprint: 10 5A 20 3C 39 5A D3 12  D9 54 26 22 FF 1F E9 16
Bill Gates to his broker: "You idiot, I said $150 million on **SNAPPLE**!!!"

Post by Simon Kinaha » Tue, 02 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > Anyone know if they ever got that to work?

> Apparently.  At least the last time I flew through Denver my bag survived
> the trip.

Hmm. Must be better than the 'stick'em in a pile and thrown them on the next
plane
going to Iran' system at Heathrow :-)

Simon

1. The "new" warez law and the "gnu" answer - Give me a BREAK!

Ummm...hate to burst your bubble...but just about every survey
I have seen in the last 4 years has had Sun and AIX as the hot
skill sets recruiters are looking for...NT generally rates several
notches lower then unix. Why..because everybody wants to be a CNE
or MSCE or XYZ..or whatever. Meanwhile my unix skills keep me in
demand as I field (no joke) 2-10 calls a week from recruiters for my
*UNIX* skills...yes I have Microsoft...no they dont care..they
want unix...and boy are they willing to pay.

And I get paid to play with unix...what a country...

--
Kevin P. Inscoe  e-mail: kevin[dot]inscoe[at]cbis[dot]com
Cincinnati Bell Information Systems

2. contact for tibook and Debian people

4. aha2940 problems

6. Application for Digital Camera

7. "weof" operation in "mt" command gives "permission denied"

8. config for Packard Bell

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. "umsdos" vs "vfat" vs "looped ext2"

11. "Novell-like","non-TCP/IP","networking" OS to place Unix

12. "netstat -nr" should show "default" or "0.0.0.0"?

13. "write" "to" "flon" commands