Problems reading CDs written on PC

Post by James Hammert » Sat, 22 Dec 2001 23:38:06

Hi,

I recently had some backups made of my work, whereby the files were
transferred from my RedHat 7 Linux box to a PC with a CD writer and the
CDs were written under Windows. Under Windows everything works fine,
and I can unpack the archives with no trouble.

However Linux seems to think the files are much shorter than they are --
for example one file which is supposed to be 330MB, reads as 105MB when
I perform a du -s on it. Unpacking the file (it's a tar file) proceeds
to retrieve the first 105MB and then it crashes complaining of an unexpected
end of file. Yet the file sizes are correct and the unpacking works just fine
when using WinZip under Windows.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone know if this is Linux
or even RedHat specific?

Cheers,

James

Problems reading CDs written on PC

Post by Rod Smi » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 01:54:02

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> Hi,

> I recently had some backups made of my work, whereby the files were
> transferred from my RedHat 7 Linux box to a PC with a CD writer and the
> CDs were written under Windows. Under Windows everything works fine,
> and I can unpack the archives with no trouble.

> However Linux seems to think the files are much shorter than they are --

What software did you use in Windows to write the CD-R? My hunch is you
used a "packet-writing" package, which lets you treat the CD-R as if it
were a floppy disk. These create CD-Rs that Linux doesn't like. Instead
of the packet-writing software, use a traditional CD-R package, like
Adaptec's Easy CD Creator or Ahead's Nero. These require you to add the
files using some operation (like drag-and-drop or selection from a file
selction dialog box) within the CD-creation package, then burn a CD-R in
one pass. (Actually, there are ways to create multi-session CD-Rs, but
that's another matter....) Linux should be able to read these CD-Rs just
fine.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Problems reading CDs written on PC

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 23 Dec 2001 10:38:18

Quote:

> I recently had some backups made of my work, whereby the files were
> transferred from my RedHat 7 Linux box to a PC with a CD writer and the
> CDs were written under Windows. Under Windows everything works fine,
> and I can unpack the archives with no trouble.

> However Linux seems to think the files are much shorter than they are --
> for example one file which is supposed to be 330MB, reads as 105MB when
> I perform a du -s on it. Unpacking the file (it's a tar file) proceeds
> to retrieve the first 105MB and then it crashes complaining of an unexpected
> end of file. Yet the file sizes are correct and the unpacking works just fine
> when using WinZip under Windows.

> Has anyone else had a similar problem? Does anyone know if this is Linux
> or even RedHat specific?

Since another reply mentioned possible packet writing instead of iso9660,
you might try mounting it as -t udf to see if that makes a difference.

But I would suggest creating the iso image in Linux even if you only have
a Win box to write this image to CD.  Then you can make certain that it
will be compatible with Linux (by mounting the image on a loop device and
making sure it works before writing to CD).  Note that loop was broken in
unpatched 2.4.3 kernels.

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

1. Sockets: write() writes OK, yet read() reads garbage...?

Strange thing happens. There is a TCP socket established between A and B. Some
information flows OK between the two. However, one particular sequence of
communication does not. A writes a command to B, and immediately goes into
read() for a responce. B does something with the message and writes back to A a
struct, with some fields set to important values. When A reads it (as the same
struct - both use the same header file), however, it contains garbage. All the
fiels are set to 0 (zero). And it reads the correct size of the struct:

  n = read( sock, &preamble, sizeof(preamble) );
  if( n < 0 || n > sizeof(preamble) )
   error...

What/where can the problem be? Does A (or maybe B) have to flush the socket
after it wrote a command, to make sure it does not read its own packet back?

Thanks.
--
Simon   B-)>

2. xawtv: how to access [RH8]

3. cd writing/reading problem

4. vtree?

5. Problem with reading CD-R/W written in TAO mode

6. Apache: Last modfied Date??

7. RH9 with HP 8200e CD burner, writes but has problems reading?

8. make name cards?

9. weird problem reading Adaptec-written CD-R

10. Problems with serial link while reading or writing CDs

11. cd writing/reading problem

12. Read and Write directly in memory of the PC

13. ReWritable Optical Disk written on PC, read on UNIX?