HELP: Mouse goes crazy.

Post by Arnold M » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Hello,
   Its been a very frustrating experience trying to get my Microsoft
Inport (bus)mouse to work under Linux.  The mouse does not track properly
when running under XWindows.  Moving the mouse a tiny bit causes the
pointer to move erratically all over the screen, making the mouse
unusable.  Some have said it might be a protocol problem but I have
compiled the kernel for a Microsoft Inport(bus) mouse.  I did notice a
warning when terminating XWindows but have no idea what it means -->
"Warning: unable to get status of mouse fd"  Anybody know what this means?
Also there are no IRQ conflicts with any other devices and /dev/mouse ->
inportbm and under XF86Config I have "Microsoft" and "/dev/mouse".
Also, its an old style mouse, the one shaped like a soap bar.

Arnold
-

Department of Geography,                 Tel: (604) 822-6282
University of British Columbia, B.C.     Fax: (604) 822-6150

HELP: Mouse goes crazy.

Post by David Bourgi » Fri, 21 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> Hello,
>    Its been a very frustrating experience trying to get my Microsoft
> Inport (bus)mouse to work under Linux.  The mouse does not track properly
> when running under XWindows.  Moving the mouse a tiny bit causes the
> pointer to move erratically all over the screen, making the mouse
> unusable.  Some have said it might be a protocol problem but I have
> compiled the kernel for a Microsoft Inport(bus) mouse.  I did notice a
> warning when terminating XWindows but have no idea what it means -->
> "Warning: unable to get status of mouse fd"  Anybody know what this means?
> Also there are no IRQ conflicts with any other devices and /dev/mouse ->
> inportbm and under XF86Config I have "Microsoft" and "/dev/mouse".
> Also, its an old style mouse, the one shaped like a soap bar.

If your mouse is 3 buttons, answer to the first question by y
and the 2nd by n.

If this does not work, check out if your mouse is not rather supported
as a bus rather than a Microsoft.

Regards,
--
Web: http://www.accescyb.fr/~rezo1/homepage.html    David

David Bourgin - Netware/Unix administration/security.
I'm a netsurfer, and as such, a citizen of the world.

HELP: Mouse goes crazy.

Post by Dann William » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>> Hello,
>>    Its been a very frustrating experience trying to get my Microsoft
>> Inport (bus)mouse to work under Linux.  The mouse does not track properly
>> when running under XWindows.  Moving the mouse a tiny bit causes the
>> pointer to move erratically all over the screen, making the mouse
>> unusable.  Some have said it might be a protocol problem but I have
>> compiled the kernel for a Microsoft Inport(bus) mouse.  I did notice a
>> warning when terminating XWindows but have no idea what it means -->
>> "Warning: unable to get status of mouse fd"  Anybody know what this means?
>> Also there are no IRQ conflicts with any other devices and /dev/mouse ->
>> inportbm and under XF86Config I have "Microsoft" and "/dev/mouse".
>> Also, its an old style mouse, the one shaped like a soap bar.

> If your mouse is 3 buttons, answer to the first question by y
> and the 2nd by n.

> If this does not work, check out if your mouse is not rather supported
> as a bus rather than a Microsoft.

> Regards,
> --
> Web: http://www.accescyb.fr/~rezo1/homepage.html    David

> David Bourgin - Netware/Unix administration/security.
> I'm a netsurfer, and as such, a citizen of the world.

This might sound foolish, but if you have a little switch on the back of your
mouse, try switching it to the "3-button" position when running X.
-----
happiness is make[1]: nothing to be done for 'all'

http://www.spectra.net/~dann/
-----

1. mouse is going crazy in X windows PLEASE HELP

I got X windows running... FINALLY. Now I have another problem, the mouse
stays in the upper left corner of the screen after I touch the mouse. I
have tried all of the ways to configure my mouse and the only one that
actually gets the mouse to move is the PS/2 mouse. I can get the mouse to
click and bring up the menu to move windows around, but there is no way
to control it. Please help. I really want to get this working soon. Thanks.

2. IDE-DMA on an ASUS A7PRO

3. Please help: My mouse is going crazy under gpm

4. Apache with restricted access and proxies

5. SUMMARY: HELP HELP HELP: SC2000 went crazy

6. Celeron 64bit or Intel Xeon

7. HELP HELP HELP: SC2000 went crazy

8. My mouse has gone crazy

9. switching switchbox makes mouse go crazy: any fix?

10. Mouse in X windows is gone crazy...

11. XF86Setup Mouse goes CRAZY

12. Mouse goes crazy! Need to calm it down