Linux stable enough for commercial products yet?

Linux stable enough for commercial products yet?

Post by Stuart J. Ba » Mon, 13 Jun 1994 21:44:24

Hi All.

I was talking a couple of days ago to somebody from IXI Limited in
the UK, the developers of IXI Panorama, the virtual Motif window manager.
I was talking to him about releasing a version for Linux, but the
main worry was the stability of Linux, and the availability of other
commercial products.  Now, can any of you experts out there come up
with a convincing argument about the stability of Linux?  His main
point to me was that if Linux was stable enough, and the demand was
there, that it might be worth their while.

Of course, I tried to convince him about providing a free version
just for non-commercial Linux use, to get the punters interested,
then they'll scream for it in the office.  Nothing like free [good]
publicity...

Ok guys, I'm listening!

Stuart

   ___   ____  __             Stuart J. Barr           Ascom Hasler AG

 ___). \_/.  /__) (_/ /  /    Tel: ++41 31 999 16 04   3000 Berne 14
                              Fax: ++41 31 999 37 35   Switzerland

Linux stable enough for commercial products yet?

Post by Charles L » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 02:39:28

Per Section 1.7.4, page 21, the recently published The Linux Bible: "As
far as stability and robustness are concerned, many users have reported
that Linux is at least as stable as commercial UNIX systems."

Charles
Universal CD-ROM
(Has the Linux Bible in stock)

--
End of Note

Post by Matthew Dill » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 07:04:31

:
:Per Section 1.7.4, page 21, the recently published The Linux Bible: "As
:far as stability and robustness are concerned, many users have reported
:that Linux is at least as stable as commercial UNIX systems."
:
:Charles
:Universal CD-ROM
:(Has the Linux Bible in stock)
:
:--
:End of Note

    Personally, I would like to see better shared library support before
    committing commercial development to linux.  The fixed-address shared
    libraries currently in use have potential portability and address conflict
    problems.

    But, apart from that I would say Linux is stable enough from an
    interface standpoint for commercial development.

                                        -Matt

--

    1005 Apollo Way             ham: KC6LVW (no mail drop)
    Incline Village, NV. 89451  Obvious Implementations Corporation

Linux stable enough for commercial products yet?

Post by Mark van Hoe » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 22:51:51

Quote:>Per Section 1.7.4, page 21, the recently published The Linux Bible: "As
>far as stability and robustness are concerned, many users have reported
>that Linux is at least as stable as commercial UNIX systems."

It's much more stable than AIX (is that a compliment?).

Mark van Hoeij

Post by Alan C » Wed, 15 Jun 1994 19:43:11

>    Personally, I would like to see better shared library support before
>    committing commercial development to linux.  The fixed-address shared
>    libraries currently in use have potential portability and address conflict
>    problems.

Never stopped iBCS2 libraries aka Interactive. Also PIC libraries on a 386/486
are _SLOW_.

Alan

Post by Beverly J. Bro » Thu, 16 Jun 1994 15:56:32

> >Per Section 1.7.4, page 21, the recently published The Linux Bible: "As
> >far as stability and robustness are concerned, many users have reported
> >that Linux is at least as stable as commercial UNIX systems."

> It's much more stable than AIX (is that a compliment?).

Or Solaris.

Beverly J. Brown

Post by Alan T Shut » Tue, 14 Jun 1994 13:44:39

        > Now, can any of you experts out there come up
        > with a convincing argument about the stability of Linux?

Well, Novell is releasing Corsair, which AFAIK is a Linux Kernal with
Novell UI add-ons.

Synonym: A word you use when you can't spell the other.

Linux stable enough for commercial products yet?

Post by Wayne Schli » Fri, 17 Jun 1994 16:32:57

Quote:

> Well, Novell is releasing Corsair, which AFAIK is a Linux Kernal with
> Novell UI add-ons.

Oh?  "Novell is releasing" makes it sound so official.  Do you have
anything to back this statement up?  Here is what someone from Novell
said about it:

< Newsgroups: comp.unix.unixware
< Subject: Re: Expose article - spot the errors
< [ ... ]
<
< Anyway, Just to lay this whole mess to rest.  The alleged product
< "Expose" or "Corsaire" was a code name for some research being done
< at Novell.  This work has yielded some very interesting technology
< and was done in a think-tank manner.  The work itself will not come
< out in the form of a product as speculated by the trade press.  The
< technology developed will enhance current and future Novell products
< although I have nothing to announce at this moment.  UnixWare will
< almost certainly benefit from some very inspired work done by the
< team.
<
< Details on this matter are not for public discourse, but those
< who would like to discuss the intimate details of the source code
< *their* company is selling, feel free.
<
< gfd
<
<
< : Darren R. Davis
<
< --
< +x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x
< George Demarest                    | "large systems, whether the government or
< Novell, Inc. (USG, SED)            | private, have an inhumanity to them that's

< (908) 522-6363                     | Disclaimer: "ok ok, forget I even said it."
< +x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x+x

-wayne

--
The human brain is a complex organ with the wonderful power of
enabling man to find reasons for continuing to believe whatever it is

Linux stable enough for commercial products yet?

Post by Mark A. Horton KA4Y » Sat, 18 Jun 1994 18:41:33

: >
: >
: > >Per Section 1.7.4, page 21, the recently published The Linux Bible: "As
: > >far as stability and robustness are concerned, many users have reported
: > >that Linux is at least as stable as commercial UNIX systems."
: >
: > It's much more stable than AIX (is that a compliment?).
: >

: Or Solaris.

        Aw... come on... that's too easy a target!  :)

        After all, it took Linux a few months of development to
        get past the reliability stage of current-day Solaris!
        I understand that prior to v.99pl9 it actually would
        "crash" occasionally!

                        -- Amused, Mark

--
                Nothing left to do but :), :), :)

+1.404.371.0291                     33 45 31 N / 084 16 59 W

1. COMMERCIAL: Linux Sampler -- Call for Distributors of Linux Products

Linux Journal/SSC is publishing "The Linux Sampler", which will be
available November 25, 1994.  It will be a perfect-bound book, and will
provide a sampling of Linux information for the novice, intermediate,
and advanced Linux User.  The Sampler will include a description of what
Linux is, Linux release history, with some new articles, a glossary, as
well as reprints and updated articles from "Linux Journal".

One section of the book will be a Linux Distributor Contact List, to
provide users and potential users with a reference for acquiring
Linux-compatible hardware and software.  If you would like to be
included in this list, contact SSC by October 20, 1994.

Please provide us with your company name, phone number, fax number,
mailing address, and e-mail address, in addition to a description of
your product(s) in 15 words or less (preferred, up to 25 may be
accepted).  We reserve the right to edit items.

If you have questions, call us at (206) 527-3385.  (We prefer to recieve
listings in some sort of hardcopy form, to reduce errors, so please call
only if you have questions.)

Send distributor information:

     fax:      (206) 527-2806

     USPS:     Sampler Distributor List
               SSC/Linux Journal
               P.O. Box 55549
               Seattle, WA 98155
               USA
--

--

Be sure to include Keywords: and a short description of your software.

2. Did someone try to boot 2.4.16 on a 386 ? [SOLVED]

3. Commercial:Linux Products From Universal CD-ROM (4/98)

4. (AV) Free Sco OpenServer CD

5. Commercial: Linux Product Catalog

6. SCO OSE 5.0 Installation problems

7. Commercial: Linux product catalog available...

8. Avance Logic chipset

9. Commercial: Linux Products From Universal CD ROM(2/97)

10. Commercial:Linux Products From Universal CD-ROM

11. developing commercial products with Linux?

12. Objectively: 386bsd vs. Linux vs. commercial products?

13. Commercial:Linux Products from Universal CD-ROM(3/98)