Idiot Seeks Help 5: Soundcards

Post by Dave Tansle » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Yet more problems:

This time I'm trying to configure an onboard CMI8330 soundcard to work with
linux. I got hold of the MNI8330 howto and followed the instructions to the
letter....I recompiled the Kernel for sound support exactly as
instructed....I used the isapnp tools to create a isapnp.conf file that is
executed at startup, this reports that the soundcard is recognised and
enabled ok

Now booting into Linux I can execute the "insmod sound" command, which seems
to work....

However, when I try to play any kind of sound whatsoever, no luck....X11AMP
no longer reports "can't open audio device", but also doesnt actually
produce any sound, suggesting that something is vaguely right, but still
screwy. Rather than actually playing the file, it stays on 0:00 without
progressing through it....does this mean that its not streaming data to the
audio device?

Thanks for any help

--
Dave, reaching end of linux tether...

ICQ: 20806179

Idiot Seeks Help 5: Soundcards

Post by **Nick Brow » Mon, 26 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Keep at it... you'll get there !  Make sure you have a /dev/audio device
entry.

In the meantime, visit www.dumbentia.com and look at the hilarious
spoofs of both Linux ("34% more geeky than any other OS !") and the Evil
Empire.

Nick

Post by Brad Mil » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>However, when I try to play any kind of sound whatsoever, no luck....X11AMP
>no longer reports "can't open audio device", but also doesnt actually
>produce any sound, suggesting that something is vaguely right, but still
>screwy. Rather than actually playing the file, it stays on 0:00 without
>progressing through it....does this mean that its not streaming data to the
>audio device?

To get sound working on my machine, I had to boot into DOS, run
the sound card setup program, and soft-boot linux via LOADLIN.

This is with a real C.L. Awe32.

Brad

1. Idiot Seeks Help 2: filesystem not unmounting

Second problem I've encountered:

- Root not cleanly unmounting. Everytime I boot the system, it reports that
hda5 (the root
partition) was not cleanly unmounted, asks me if I wish to continue, and
then does a
scan of the disk, which takes time. Is this normal? Presumably not. Any
ideas why this
might happen? I always shutdown with shutdown -h now....something that may
be related:
when I try to reboot with shutdown -r now, the machine hangs after saying
"The system is
now rebooting" (or whatever)

Thanks in advance.

--
Dave

ICQ: 20806179

2. Problem with ram over 64Megs

3. Idiot Seeks Help 1: Linux and Modems

4. Why do people use Hotmail?

5. Idiot Seeks Help 3: compiling problems (gtk+/glib)

6. Solaris x86 and EtherLink XL from 3COM

7. Idiot Seeks Help 4: GDM...how?

8. interface marked point-to-point can't be undone. or can it?

9. idiot newbie seeks help again with kppp

10. Seeking cheap PCI soundcard supported by Linux

11. <help>Linux newbies need help with CD and soundcard<help>

12. Idiot requires help

13. Idiot needs help!