Red Hat 4.1 uptime rollover?

Post by -=Eclypse= » Thu, 16 Dec 1999 04:00:00

I have a system running RedHat 4.1 that has been up for 499 days. When I
logged in this morning to look at something, I noticed that the system
uptime read "3 days" and not 499. I checked all of the logs and there
is nothing there that smells of a reboot, restart, crash, etc. How is
the uptime represented (I did cat /proc/uptime and the first number
shows the number of seconds for three days)? I just want to see if
this is normal or not - I was really looking forward to seeing a
kickass 500 DAY UPTIME!!! Of course, we all know that is an impossibility
on Win-bloat Nice Try.  =D~

TIA.

--

Jon<*>

Red Hat 4.1 uptime rollover?

Post by lngo » Fri, 17 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I have a system running RedHat 4.1 that has been up for 499 days. When I
> logged in this morning to look at something, I noticed that the system
> uptime read "3 days" and not 499. I checked all of the logs and there
> is nothing there that smells of a reboot, restart, crash, etc. How is
> the uptime represented (I did cat /proc/uptime and the first number
> shows the number of seconds for three days)? I just want to see if
> this is normal or not - I was really looking forward to seeing a
> kickass 500 DAY UPTIME!!! Of course, we all know that is an impossibility
> on Win-bloat Nice Try.  =D~

> TIA.

> --

> Jon<*>

Red Hat 4.1 uptime rollover?

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Tue, 21 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a system running RedHat 4.1 that has been up for 499 days. When I
>logged in this morning to look at something, I noticed that the system
>uptime read "3 days" and not 499. I checked all of the logs and there
>is nothing there that smells of a reboot, restart, crash, etc. How is
>the uptime represented (I did cat /proc/uptime and the first number
>shows the number of seconds for three days)? I just want to see if
>this is normal or not - I was really looking forward to seeing a
>kickass 500 DAY UPTIME!!! Of course, we all know that is an impossibility
>on Win-bloat Nice Try.  =D~

Wild guess.  cat /proc/uptime shows time to 100ths of a second, so
lets say it is storing to 2 decimal places.  So...

    $ bc -ql
    1024*1024*1024*4
    4294967296
    42949672/3600/24
    497.10268518518518518518

Congratulations!  You've just discovered yet another rollover
"bug" :-)

Hmmm - I wonder if the 64-bit version of Linux on Alphas and
Sparcs has the same problem?  Anyone...?

1. Uptime rollover, How to tell real uptime?

I have a linux system running 1.2.8  gcc 2.6.3 compiled Dec 28 95
According to the var/adm/messages file it was last booted on
Jan. 2, 1996. This would put the uptime at around 800 days.

Somewhere after 460 days the uptime counter must have rolled over
as the uptime given with "w" started again with low numbers.

I know it was not rebooted as there are daemons running that I started
by hand and are not in scripts.

Is there a way to get the real uptime?

Also I plan to shut it down soon as I am getting scared of fire
hazard due to lots of dust. The internal fan went out a year ago
and I have hung another fan on the back for cooling.

Is this maybe a record uptime??
Dale

Phone:(916)356-5332                     I speak only for myself

2. Partition Software - Partition Magic, Bootit, Boot Manager or Ranish Partition Manager

3. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

4. Solaris 2.1 [export files]

5. keymap problems after upgrading to Red Hat 4.1

6. Data Alignment problem

7. sendmail problem with red-hat 4.1

8. thinkpad and external monitor

9. X in Red Hat Linux 4.1

10. Red Hat Linux 4.1 installation problem n (n tending to infinity)

11. COMMERCIAL: Red Hat Linux 4.1 for Intel, Alpha, and SPARC!

12. Red Hat 4.1 will not find Mitsumi CDROM

13. Red Hat 4.1 - inittab & xdm problem