Dual CPU, load average report error

Post by mmfernan.. » Sun, 14 Jan 2001 01:18:48

Hi,

I have a linux box with dual pentium cpus and RedHat 7.0 Enterprise.

Everything is fine except that uptime and top reports that the load
average is 1.0 (when the server is doing nothing)

I have a xcpustate running exporting the DISPLAY to another machine and
I can see that the proccesors (both) are IDLE, but uptime still
reporting 1.0 of cpu load average.

is there a bug? or am I missing something?

any ideas?

thanks,
Mariano

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

1. Relationship between load average and CPU busy or CPU idle

Hi,

Is there some kind of relationship between the load average figure and CPU
busy / idle percentage ?

What I am seeing:

On a 2-CPU SPARC box, A load average nearing 2.0 have a very low CPU idle %
( high very busy % )

On a 1-CPU SPARC box, A load average nearing 1.0 have a very low CPU idle %
( high very busy % )

Thus, what I am concluding so far is that a load average nearing N-CPUs will
have a very low CPU idle %.

Is this a fair statement ?

2. WE-16 for Wavelan ISA driver

3. System Load average: How much load average is good for?

4. END GAME: Microsoft, Cereal Killer & Fair trading legislation

5. Making gdm report load averages

6. Upgrading from XFree-3.1 to XFree-3.1.1?

7. CPU Load Average...

8. file size script

9. How do I get load average (% of cpu)

10. High load average, low cpu usage when /home NFS mounted

11. How to get (Solaris 2.5.1): CPU load average, free VM, free physical memory

12. load averages for CPU, memory, disk and network

13. Load averages on multi-CPU machines