Can't shutdown

Post by Jon Sche » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I recently setup kernel 1.3.87 and 1.3.94 on my machine and I can't shutdown
with ctr-alt-del.  When I hit it, the machine goes into the shutdown
sequence, but just after I get the message "Sending all processes KILL
signal" the machine just starts spitting out the error "error reading
initrequest" and won't stop.  I then have to do a hard reset.  Has anyone had
any experience with this?
--
        Jon Schewe           http://freenet.msp.mn.us/~schewe

        Computer Science Major
        Michigan Tech University

Can't shutdown

Post by mumfo » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>I recently setup kernel 1.3.87 and 1.3.94 on my machine and I can't shutdown
>with ctr-alt-del.  When I hit it, the machine goes into the shutdown
>sequence, but just after I get the message "Sending all processes KILL
>signal" the machine just starts spitting out the error "error reading
>initrequest" and won't stop.  I then have to do a hard reset.  Has anyone had
>any experience with this?

When you get a new kernel, be sure to read the Documentation/Changes file to
see if anything that you have needs to be upgraded.. at some kernel after
1.3.80, the fifo handling was changed, breaking old init packages.  You need
to get sysvinit-2.60 (available from sunsite) to fix it.

--

Why did the mathematician name his dog Cauchy?
Because he left residue at every pole.

1. can't shutdown with 'shutdown'

Any body experienced this?

If you issue init 0  / init 5 / init 6 /shutdown -i0 -g0 -y ... the
system just pretends not hearing it.
Actually, it heard it -  because the process 1(init) caught the signals,
but after setcontext, it just go pause...

Any suggestions?

TIA

Liu Xu

2. NIS+ and Diskless clients

3. It's not bad canned meat...

4. Kylix vs G++

5. serial I/O

6. Can't shutdown - get message Shutdown is already running

7. Updated: Solaris 9 USB DDK v0.7

8. Shutdown doesn't shutdown anymore

9. /usr busy on shutdown; can't shutdown

10. shutdown doesn't "shutdown"

11. System doesn't reboot after 'shutdown -r '