QUESTION: Removing LINUX completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

QUESTION: Removing LINUX completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Sheer111 » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hey,

I loaded LILO onto a hard disk, and then I later removed it (i think) using
fdisk /mbr. Later, a friend is trying to use the hard disk as his boot disk in
windows 95 system. He can't load Windows95, and some errors seem to suggest
that it is due to some remnant of linux being left on the disk, which windows95
seems to consider a virus.

Question: How can you COMPLETELY remove anything linux may have done to
a disk? I want the disk to be pure, * disk, whatever that means.

Thanks for your help.

QUESTION: Removing LINUX completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Torok Szila » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hey,

>I loaded LILO onto a hard disk, and then I later removed it (i think) using
>fdisk /mbr. Later, a friend is trying to use the hard disk as his boot disk in

Try an older version (dos-6.22) of fdisk. Also try a 'sys a: c:' with a
w95/dos system floppy inserted... or something like 'format c: /s /u'

byte,
--
 Torok Szilard                       http://members.tripod.com/~Szilard/
 L   I   N   U   X  :   This  will  end  your  Windows  session  [ OK ]

QUESTION: Removing LINUX completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Rick Henr » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

The ext2 and swap partitions are still probably there.
You can use fdisk to remove them.
You could also use a low level format utility included in
many bioses. Then you would have to use fdisk to add the
win95 partitions and format accordingly.

HTH

Rick
==================

Quote:

Post by Ashwin Biha » Tue, 25 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> The ext2 and swap partitions are still probably there.
> You can use fdisk to remove them.
> You could also use a low level format utility included in
> many bioses. Then you would have to use fdisk to add the
> win95 partitions and format accordingly.

> HTH

> Rick
> ==================

> > Question: How can you COMPLETELY remove anything linux may have done to
> > a disk? I want the disk to be pure, * disk, whatever that means.

Using a simple DOS boot disk with fdisk.exe on it and running "fdisk /mbr"
will remove the LILO from MBR and then using FDISK to delete the Linux
partitions will get it back to a * disk. A majority of new EIDE HD's
are *NOT* to be low-level formatted as the SCSI disks can be, doing so
will actually damage them! Regards

|Ashwin Bihari                              University of Massachusetts Lowell|

|Primary   URL: http://www.veryComputer.com/;                             |
|Secondary URL: http://www.veryComputer.com/;                             |
| NOTE: The E-mail address on top has been mangled to stop Spam Bots..please  |
|       use the address in this box for replying.                             |
\-----------------------------------------------------------------------------/

QUESTION: Removing LINUX completely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Michael McConnel » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> Question: How can you COMPLETELY remove anything linux may have done to
> a disk? I want the disk to be pure, * disk, whatever that means.

Assuming the disc is in a linux box as /dev/hdb, try:

cat /dev/zero > /dev/hdb

That will nuke EVERYTHING on it.

-- Michael McConnell
Multimedia Data Systems, Philips Semiconductors Southampton

"I am completely functional and all my circuiSegmentation fault (core dumped)

Post by friedhelm.mehner » Wed, 26 Aug 1998 04:00:00

: Question: How can you COMPLETELY remove anything linux may have done to
: a disk? I want the disk to be pure, * disk, whatever that means.

Use a Linux boot/rescue disk combination on the machine.
Then use dd to write zeroes to the raw disk.
Like: "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda".

Leave this running, until it runs outof disk space.
This will zap your entirely disk.

Regards,
Friedhelm

--
Microsoft is NOT the answer. Microsoft is the Question.
The answer is: "NO!"