PCMCIA stuff, what to get...

Post by Justin (G » Sat, 03 Jun 1995 04:00:00

I am looking for a PCMCIA 10bT/2 netcard and a SCSI card and am wondering what
would work best in linux...

gus

PCMCIA stuff, what to get...

Post by John Todd We » Sun, 04 Jun 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I am looking for a PCMCIA 10bT/2 netcard and a SCSI card and am wondering what
>would work best in linux...

Read the PCMCIA package documentation, along with the Ethernet and
SCSI FAQs for starters (all the links are readily avialable from
http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~toddwest/linux/linux.links.html, or
any of nine gadzillion other places).  I've asked around extensively,
and 3com's 10Base(T, 2) combo ($129 direct from 3com, 185 mail order)
and the New Media Bus Toaster (199-209 mail order) seem to be the
prefered cards, although anything on the supported.cards list should
work.  I haven't gotten my PCMCIA capable box yet, so I can only
speculate.  Anyone have hard info?

Todd

PCMCIA stuff, what to get...

Post by Juergen Quad » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>I am looking for a PCMCIA 10bT/2 netcard and a SCSI card and am wondering what
>>would work best in linux...
>Read the PCMCIA package documentation, along with the Ethernet and
>SCSI FAQs for starters (all the links are readily avialable from
>http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/~toddwest/linux/linux.links.html, or
>any of nine gadzillion other places).  I've asked around extensively,
>and 3com's 10Base(T, 2) combo ($129 direct from 3com, 185 mail order)
>and the New Media Bus Toaster (199-209 mail order) seem to be the
>prefered cards, although anything on the supported.cards list should
>work.  I haven't gotten my PCMCIA capable box yet, so I can only
>speculate.  Anyone have hard info?

I am using adaptecs SlimSCSI (1460) and a 3com ethernet card.
I haven't tested the scsi-interface to extensively. I just did
a tape backup (worked good), but I got problems in mounting a CD-Rom
(there is a high possibility that this is my fault).
The ethernet-card is really fast!

The pcmcia-package is a very good work!
Thanks to all who work(ed) on it!

        Juergen.

Quote:>Todd

--

Arcisstr. 21
80333 Muenchen, Germany

PCMCIA stuff, what to get...

Post by John Todd We » Wed, 07 Jun 1995 04:00:00

>>and the New Media Bus Toaster (199-209 mail order) seem to be the
>>prefered cards, although anything on the supported.cards list should
>I am using adaptecs SlimSCSI (1460) and a 3com ethernet card.

Another random note for the masses: the 1460 and the Bus Toaster use
the same controller chip.

Todd