Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Post by linu » Tue, 30 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
system to an X based logon screen.
I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
Has anyone written a logon program for X?
--
Dave Etheridge

Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Post by dcbr.. » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

I believe what you are looking for is xdm. Use 'man' to look up xdm. You
can also start it as root by typing "xdm&" at the cmd line. Use
ctrl-backspace to kill xdm.

Xdm is the closest thing to cde-login that I know of at this point in
time.

Post by Andy Whitwort » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> I believe what you are looking for is xdm. Use 'man' to look up xdm. You
> can also start it as root by typing "xdm&" at the cmd line. Use
> ctrl-backspace to kill xdm.

> Xdm is the closest thing to cde-login that I know of at this point in
> time.

> > Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
> > system to an X based logon screen.
> > I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
> > Has anyone written a logon program for X?
> > --
> > Dave Etheridge

I set this up on my RedHat 4.0 system by changing the default
runlevel in /etc/inittab from '3' to '6' (i think it's 6!).
I think I had to fiddle around with xdm settings but not
very much - it was a doddle.
I'm back to 'normal' runlevel now as I prefer to login to
a command line and start X manually if required.

Andy.

Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Post by Ivo Naninc » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:

> Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
> system to an X based logon screen.
> I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
> Has anyone written a logon program for X?
> --

I suppose you mean the XDM-login screen? Yes, that is possible. First do
'man xdm' before continuing...

Quote:> Dave Etheridge

--
Best regards, and don't let the bits byte!

Ivo Naninck.

Post by Ben Waldi » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>Hi,

>> Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
>> system to an X based logon screen.
>> I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
>> Has anyone written a logon program for X?
>> --
>I suppose you mean the XDM-login screen? Yes, that is possible. First do
>'man xdm' before continuing...

Presumably you want to also automatically boot into XDM.  This can be
accomplished by editing /etc/inittab

Assuming you are running redhat  you will need to change the id: line to
id:5:initdefault:

If you aren't running redhat, the numbers might be different, but the
concept is the same.

Ben

--
"I can't give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma."
        - UQ            UUizard of Quoz

Post by Rouat man » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > I believe what you are looking for is xdm. Use 'man' to look up xdm. You
> > can also start it as root by typing "xdm&" at the cmd line. Use
> > ctrl-backspace to kill xdm.

> > Xdm is the closest thing to cde-login that I know of at this point in
> > time.

> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
> > > system to an X based logon screen.
> > > I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
> > > Has anyone written a logon program for X?
> > > --
> > > Dave Etheridge

> I set this up on my RedHat 4.0 system by changing the default
> runlevel in /etc/inittab from '3' to '6' (i think it's 6!).

Beware! In slackware I don't think it's 6! But the general idea is
correct: edit the /etc/inittab file (as root) and change the default
runlevel to the one which corresponds to X (that should be documented
within the file inittab itself)

manu

Post by Shane Sadle » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> > > Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
> > > system to an X based logon screen.
> > > I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
> > > Has anyone written a logon program for X?
> I set this up on my RedHat 4.0 system by changing the default
> runlevel in /etc/inittab from '3' to '6' (i think it's 6!).

On RedHat, it should be changed to id:5:initdefault. Runlevel 6 in
RedHat is for rebooting. This is not recommended.

Here's an excerpt from /etc/inittab on my Linux (RedHat) box:

# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)

As far as Slackware 3.0, Dave's question, ummm, I'm afraid I don't know.
Sorry. But I'm sure a Slackware user will come along and answer it soon
enough.

Quote:> I'm back to 'normal' runlevel now as I prefer to login to
> a command line and start X manually if required.

Me too.

-- Shane
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
S.M. Sadler

out of my address)

Post by Bert Haverkam » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

> Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
> system to an X based logon screen.
> I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
> Has anyone written a logon program for X?
> --
> Dave Etheridge

  it's called xdm, and works on linux also. I don't know where you can
find info about it. probably the web;)
A very nice looking replacement is called kdm and is part of the
kde-project. I use this one personally
see www.kde.org for more info on this.

Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Post by Chris Spieg » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:38:22 +0100,

>> Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
>> system to an X based logon screen.
>> I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
>> Has anyone written a logon program for X?
>  it's called xdm, and works on linux also. I don't know where you can
>find info about it. probably the web;)

From what I remember, Slackware 3 comes with xdm.  So you probably already
have it on your system.  The way to get it to boot straight to the X login
is by changing your runlevel.  Look for a line in /etc/inittab that looks
like:
id:3:initdefault:

And change it to:
id:4:initdefault:

Just reboot the machine, and you're set.  RedHat users need a different
number, as far as I know.

Chris
--
  //   () __    _  _ _  _
 //   // //\\  // // \\//  Please remove ANTI_SPAM

Post by William Juli » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

>> I set this up on my RedHat 4.0 system by changing the default
>> runlevel in /etc/inittab from '3' to '6' (i think it's 6!).

> Beware! In slackware I don't think it's 6! But the general idea is
> correct: edit the /etc/inittab file (as root) and change the default
> runlevel to the one which corresponds to X (that should be documented
> within the file inittab itself)

> manu

In slackware Runlevel 6 reboots the system!

In slackware edit the /etc/iniitab to default to:

# Default runlevel.
id:4:initdefault:
--
         _,'|            _.-''``-...___..--';
        /, \'.      _..-' ,      ,--...--'''

  __...--''     __...--_..'  .;.'  http://www.catmanor.com/moonbeam/
 (,__....----'''      (,..--''
 vi is my shepherd; i shall not font.

Post by Bert van der Pe » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: Does anyone know if it is possible to boot a Linux (Slackware 3.0.0)
: system to an X based logon screen.
: I have seen it done on Sun Sparc's running Solaris.
: Has anyone written a logon program for X?
: --
: Dave Etheridge

I think you mean xdm. It's standard included in Xfree86, and typically started
from init (runlevel 4), or from rc.local. Refer to the manpages for more
specific information; AFAIK it's configured completely already in Slackware.
Just setting the default runlevel to 4, or editing rc.local should do the job.

Good luck,
        Bert.

Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Post by Bert van der Pe » Wed, 31 Dec 1997 04:00:00

: I set this up on my RedHat 4.0 system by changing the default
: runlevel in /etc/inittab from '3' to '6' (i think it's 6!).
: I think I had to fiddle around with xdm settings but not
: very much - it was a doddle.
: I'm back to 'normal' runlevel now as I prefer to login to
: a command line and start X manually if required.

: Andy.

Hmmm.. on my system, runlevel 6 is reboot. Never had problems with very short
sessions? Your setup seems ok for W95, but Unix systems tend to have longer
uptimes..

Bert.

Booting Linux to X logon prompt, aka Solaris logon

Post by Eric I. Ekon » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

My thought is that the number to change in /etc/inittab is not '6' , but
'5'.  I changed version 5.0 Red Hat last night.  I believe 6 would be the
shutdown sequence.  So I hope this guy sin't rebooting over and over
again. ;}

-Eric

Post by Natha » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> On Slackware, this should be exactly the same, only with 4 being used for
> X11 instead of 5.

                                            Nathan Johnson

Post by Scott Ingra » Thu, 01 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> In slackware Runlevel 6 reboots the system!

In all SYS V init implementations runlevel six
is restart.  Linux allows more freedom for its
users to assign tasks to the multiple user
runlevels 2-5 than most implementations I am
aware of:  I have a 1.2.13 box on the other side
of the country faithfully turning on its modem
after business hours to allow maintenance to its
network, and turning it off again before the
human receptionist comes in the morning to mess
up the voice mail system.  (Come to think of it
that system has been up for over 2 years...)
--
Scott Ingram
Sonar Processing and Analysis Laboratory

1. NET USE /HOME connects to logon path, not logon home.

I'm running Linux 2.0.34 and Samba 1.9.18p10
I'm having a problem, where no matter what I set the 'logon home'
parameter to,
NET USE h: /HOME on the Win95 (OSR2) box connects h: to the path specified
in the 'logon path' parameter. Any clue?

I have temporarily resolved my problem by changing
net use h: /home
net use h: \\server_name\homes
in the logon script file.

Only thing with this is that I have
Homes on 'Server_name' (H:)
instead of
'User' on 'Server_name' (H:)
which is ok but I would prefer the latter as it would be more clear for my
students that they are working with their own unique folder.
I can hack it by messing with the logon scripts and %U etc, but why doesn't
it work if it's supposed to?
Arrggh.
K.

2. MINIX

3. logon prompts

4. Is 150 watts enough for 486-33?

5. telnet , ftp takes 1-2 minutes to get the logon prompt?

6. Redirect requests from a gateway to internal PCs

7. logon prompt

8. Shifting positional parameters-where does $1 go?

9. Telnet - Slow to get logon prompt

10. No logon prompt for ftp and telnet

11. Windows Me bypasses Domain Logon Prompt

12. I can boot now, but I can't logon?

13. Windows XP logon to LDAP on Solaris