bfd (Binary File Descriptor library) troubles...

bfd (Binary File Descriptor library) troubles...

Post by Michael J. Greg » Tue, 08 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I am trying to use the BFD routines in libbfd, but have run into trouble
with the header file.  The simple test program:

#include <bfd.h>

fails with a large number of errors on my machine.  Here is a small
sample:

In file included from c.c:1:
/usr/include/bfd.h:352: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
/usr/include/bfd.h:352: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:357: parse error before `}'
/usr/include/bfd.h:361: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:364: parse error before `)'
/usr/include/bfd.h:368: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:371: `PARAMS' declared as function returning a function
/usr/include/bfd.h:372: parse error before `unsigned'
/usr/include/bfd.h:375: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:382: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:387: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:391: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:397: parse error before `PARAMS'
/usr/include/bfd.h:399: `PARAMS' declared as function returning a function

There is much more!

OK, what am I missing.  Is there a file I must include first?  Or was my
bfd.h generated improperly?  I have the bfd.h included with version
2.5.2l.17 of the binutils release, libbfd.so.2.5.2l.11, and gcc 2.7.0.
I am running kernel 1.2.8 with ELF support.

What is going on?  I never had this much trouble with a linux header!

On a side note, I tried to make the docs for bfd and failed at that
also.  No version of texinfo wanted to work for me.  I got errors with
the one included with the distribution...  If anyone has a postscript
version they would be willing to share, I would be very pleased.

Thanks for any help.

Mike

1. Trouble with ld 2.5.2.6 (with BFD 2.5) - requires libc??

Hi,

this is a request for help from a desperate man:

I'm using an older slakware linux distribution (from the Infomagic
Linux CD set, March 95), but I've only recently started using it.

When I compile programs, I get the following error when linking
(all sources compile OK):

ld: Output file requires shared library 'libc.so.4'
cc: Internal compiler error: program ld got fatal signal 6

These are the versions I've installed of gcc etc:

cc: gcc 2.6.3
binutils 2.5.2
ld: ld 2.5.2.6 (with BFD 2.5)
libc.so: libc.so.4.6.27 (/lib/libc.so.4 is a link to /lib/libc.so.4.6.27)

I don't think libc.so.4 is the problem, since most utilities require it,
and they all run fine.

I didn't have the problem with older slackware distributions.

Any hints or suggestions? The only thing I can think of is a problem
with ld version 2.5.2.6??

Thanks in advance,

Ton Regeling

2. i740 Support

3. file descriptor troubles

4. PAS16/Toshiba XM-3401 CD won't mount

5. File Descriptors in Library code

6. can't execute cgi script in html

7. shared libraries and file descriptor question.

8. Converting jpeg files to mpeg

9. KSH: trouble using variable for file descriptor

10. "Bad file descriptor" with Bash; how to designate descriptors?

11. making static binary out of shared library and binary

12. More troubles remotely printing binary files

13. Header Files and Library binaries needed.