SONY CDU-55E CD-ROM Installation?

Post by Dave Burket » Mon, 13 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I need to install a Sony CDU-55E CD-ROM using Linux. Has anyone been able
to install Linux from this model? Any ideas? This is an IDE drive.
Any help would be appreciated.

Post by Micheal Stanl » Wed, 15 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I need to install a Sony CDU-55E CD-ROM using Linux. Has anyone been able
: to install Linux from this model? Any ideas? This is an IDE drive.
: Any help would be appreciated.

I have a CDU-55E CD-ROM drive also.  I was not able to install Linux
directly from it.  I copied the neccesary files from the CD-ROM to
my DOS partition and installed that way.  Afterwards I still couldn't
get the CD-ROM drive to work under Linux.  I had the ATAPI kernel
and all, but it still couldn't find it.

I finally got Linux to recognize it when I rejumperd the drive itself.
It was the only device on my second interface.  Originally I had
it jumpered as a single drive, but Linux seems to want it jumpered
as a Master, even though it has no slave present.

I do not know, but I suspect it would have worked for the installation
had I jumpered it that way to begin with.

I cannot be much more assistance than that without more info, except
to say "read the CDROM-HOWTO".  The HOWTO's can be a great help, and
should be your first source for any question, but admittedly, I didn't
find the above mentioned solution in the CDROM-HOWTO.

G'Luck
Michael

SONY CDU-55E CD-ROM Installation?

Post by Mark J. Kounal » Sat, 25 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I believe that the idecd kernel will work with this Sony CD-ROM.  It
works with my Toshiba T2155CDS laptop CD-ROM which is a Toshiba IDE
CD-ROM drive.  Seems to work with just about ALL IDE CD-ROM drives.

>I need to install a Sony CDU-55E CD-ROM using Linux. Has anyone been
able
>to install Linux from this model? Any ideas? This is an IDE drive.
>Any help would be appreciated.

1. xmcd chokes on my Sony CDU-55E CD-ROM

It seems xmcd doesnt like my CD-ROM player for some reason. When I run
xmcd, it knows a CD is in the player, but when I click play I get this error:

CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/hdd: cmd=CDROMPLAYMSF errno=5
CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/hdd: cmd=CDROMPAUSE errno=5

Ive configured xmcd several times for a Sony 55E using the IDE interface.
Same results. xmcd will play CD's if I use the sample or shuffle modes.
It just doesnt like to play tracks normally in sequential order. I can
also mount and read CD-ROMS without any problems.

btw..Im running kernel 1.2.0.

thanks

Mike

2. Installation problem - No welcome screen.

3. Driver available for Sony CDU-55E 2X IDE CD-ROM?

4. several LEX specs

5. mnt Sony cdu-55e cd-rom?

6. PCI hotplug changes for 2.5.46

7. Sony CDU-55E ATAPI CD-ROM hangs under Linux?

8. squid and access-lists

9. Running Sony CDU-55E ATAPI CD-ROM

10. SETUP and SONY CDU-55E CD rom

11. Soundcard for SOny CDU 55E (IDE ATAPI) CD-ROM

12. CD-Rom Sony CDU 55E

13. Sony CDU 31A-02 CD-ROM installation