CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by SRIKANTH N » Tue, 06 May 2003 23:23:28



Hi All,
I was doing CD writing in windows using Nero. Since the buffer used was
fluctuating wildly during writing (though it did not affect the quality on
the copied CD), I thought I will switch to Linux for CD writing.

Output of cdrecord -scanbus was 0,0,0.

I use ASUS 2410 A (24X 10X 40X) CD writer.
I used koncd to do CD writing. Usually I create a directory, copy the master
CD contents in it, and use "Data CD" option of koncd, indicate the newly
created Source directory and complete the CD Writing without
any problem. But if I want to do CD to CD copying , koncd will start, but
will eject the CD with error message 255.
I thought I will do CD writing using commandline using cdrecord. I read the
CD writing howto which said for CD to CD copying give the following command

"cdrecord -v dev=0,6,0 speed=2 -isosize /dev/scd0"
My CD ROM drive is /dev/hdd, cdwriter is /dev/hdc (/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1).
I put master CD in CDROM drive, blank CD in my CD Writer.
Since my cdrecord -scanbus output was dev=0,0,0
I gave the following command
"cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -isosize /dev/cdrom"
in pure CLI mode (no X). writing began and  it wrote 576 KB of data and
trashed the CD.
Tried it again . Same result.
What mistake am I committing?
Pl help.

N S Srikanth

 
 
 

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by Dances With Crow » Tue, 06 May 2003 23:39:47


On Mon, 5 May 2003 19:53:28 +0530, SRIKANTH NS staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I use ASUS 2410 A (24X 10X 40X) CD writer.
> I used koncd to do CD writing. Usually I create a directory, copy the
> master CD contents in it, and use "Data CD" option of koncd, indicate
> the newly created Source directory and complete the CD Writing without
> any problem. But if I want to do CD to CD copying , koncd will start,
> but will eject the CD with error message 255.

When you say, "CD to CD copying", do you mean "copying data CDs", or
"copying audio CDs"?  It makes a difference.  Best way to copy audio CDs
is to use "cdrdao copy --device /dev/sg0" , not cdrecord.

Quote:> My CD ROM drive is /dev/hdd, cdwriter is /dev/hdc (/dev/cdrom,
> /dev/cdrom1).  I put master CD in CDROM drive, blank CD in my CD
> Writer.
> "cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -isosize /dev/cdrom"
> in pure CLI mode (no X). writing began and  it wrote 576 KB of data and
> trashed the CD.
> What mistake am I committing?

You've got both CD-R* devices on the same IDE channel.  This is totally
suboptimal when trying to do "on-the-fly" CD copying because of IDE's
designed-in brain damage (only one IDE device on the channel can be
active at any time, so having 2 devices contend for the channel
typically leads to buffer underruns and coasters.)  You want to split
the "read" and "copy" functions up so they're not going on at the same
time.  Like so for a data CD:

dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/tmp/temp.iso bs=32k
(wait for it to finish)
cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=8 /tmp/temp.iso

Please note that this *won't* work if the source CD has copy-prevention
*or multiple sessions on it.  That's when you put the source CD in
the CD-RW, then do "cdrdao copy --device /dev/sg0".  HTH, use
http://www.veryComputer.com/
CD burning.

--
Matt G|There is no Darkness in Eternity/But only Light too dim for us to see
Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /
http://www.veryComputer.com/     /  "He is a rhythmic movement of the
-----------------------------/    penguins, is Tux." --MegaHAL

 
 
 

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by Styvae » Wed, 07 May 2003 01:13:37



> Hi All,
> I was doing CD writing in windows using Nero. Since the buffer used was
> fluctuating wildly during writing (though it did not affect the quality on
> the copied CD), I thought I will switch to Linux for CD writing.

> Output of cdrecord -scanbus was 0,0,0.

> I use ASUS 2410 A (24X 10X 40X) CD writer.
> I used koncd to do CD writing. Usually I create a directory, copy the
> master CD contents in it, and use "Data CD" option of koncd, indicate the
> newly created Source directory and complete the CD Writing without
> any problem. But if I want to do CD to CD copying , koncd will start, but
> will eject the CD with error message 255.
> I thought I will do CD writing using commandline using cdrecord. I read
> the CD writing howto which said for CD to CD copying give the following
> command

> "cdrecord -v dev=0,6,0 speed=2 -isosize /dev/scd0"
> My CD ROM drive is /dev/hdd, cdwriter is /dev/hdc (/dev/cdrom,
> /dev/cdrom1). I put master CD in CDROM drive, blank CD in my CD Writer.
> Since my cdrecord -scanbus output was dev=0,0,0
> I gave the following command
> "cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -isosize /dev/cdrom"
> in pure CLI mode (no X). writing began and  it wrote 576 KB of data and
> trashed the CD.
> Tried it again . Same result.
> What mistake am I committing?
> Pl help.

> N S Srikanth

Try adding driveropts=burnfree to the command line.  This should turn on
burnproofing.

Also IDE doesn't work very well copying between two devices on the same
channel.  You may find your buffer doesn't drain so badly if you
transferred your CD-ROM drive to primary slave (/dev/hdb).  Doing this
could reduce your hard drive to a crawl if your CD-ROM doesn't support
ATA-100 (or possibly 66).

Alternatively you could just copy to the hard drive before burning to the
CD.

Styvaen.

 
 
 

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by Vwake » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:18:01



>[...]

>Output of cdrecord -scanbus was 0,0,0.

>"cdrecord -v dev=0,6,0 speed=2 -isosize /dev/scd0"

>My CD ROM drive is /dev/hdd, cdwriter is /dev/hdc (/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1).

>"cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -isosize /dev/cdrom"

Maybe speed mismatch or something, the manpage states the speeds of only
0,2 and 4. Maybe you leave it to auto or lower speed.

Everything else looks normal to me.

You may also want to check out the following CLI options,
minbuf
fs
burnfree (if its applicable to you)
debug

You may also want to post to comp.os.linux.hardware to get more
response. Gl.

-V (-:^:-)
--

 
 
 

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by Lew Pitche » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:09:10


[snip]

Quote:> My CD ROM drive is /dev/hdd, cdwriter is /dev/hdc (/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1).
[snip]
> What mistake am I committing?

Part of your problem could be hardware. Since both your CDROM and
CDWriter drives are connected to the same IDE bus, you're going to run
into slowdowns and lockouts when one device is active and the other
needs servicing. For instance, if you begin a read operation to your
CDROM, you have to wait until that completes before you can write to
your CDRecorder. That's not Linux, that's just how IDE works.

One recommendation is to put your source data on a different IDE bus
than your CDRecorder is on, just to avoid this bus contention issue. For
you, this might mean moving /dev/hdd to /dev/hdb.

--
Lew Pitcher, IT Consultant, Application Architecture
Enterprise Technology Solutions, TD Bank Financial Group

(Opinions expressed here are my own, not my employer's)

 
 
 

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by Vwake » Wed, 07 May 2003 00:32:01


Sorry to say this again, pls dont crosspost, if you do ( which is ok
here), specify the Followup-To Newsgroup like this,

Followup-To : comp.os.linux.misc

(make it neutral without any distro specific ;) )

Now, you can see, there is already one posting missing in other two NGS
:(. This is exactly what we want to avoid.

-V (-:^:-)
--

 
 
 

CD to CD copying using cdrecord- trashed two CD's

Post by anc » Wed, 07 May 2003 04:19:21



> My CD ROM drive is /dev/hdd, cdwriter is /dev/hdc (/dev/cdrom, /dev/cdrom1).
> I put master CD in CDROM drive, blank CD in my CD Writer.
> Since my cdrecord -scanbus output was dev=0,0,0
> I gave the following command
> "cdrecord -v dev=0,0,0 speed=8 -isosize /dev/cdrom"
> in pure CLI mode (no X). writing began and  it wrote 576 KB of data and
> trashed the CD.
> Tried it again . Same result.
> What mistake am I committing?
> Pl help.

The MAJOR mistake here is that both drives are on the same controller.
No wonder Nero did some serious disk thrashing. As the IDE cable is
parallel, only one device cdrom can be addressed at one time, the data
will have been sent to the hard drive then back to the writer with
windows.
Swap the drives to that one is on IDE1 and the other on IDE2, master or
secondary is less important than having each drive on a different
controller. Once that has done you should be able to perform cd to cd
copies under windows or linux.