2.0.31 & Matrox Millenium

Post by Peter Larkowsk » Thu, 30 Oct 1997 04:00:00

> Hi everybody,

> i've just found the following problem :
> i'm running a pp200 with adapted AHA2940UW 64MB and a Matrox Millenium
> with 2MB.
> XFree863.3.1
> When using kernel 2.0.30, X11 works fine ( i can get any screen
> resolution & bpp i want ),
> when running 2.0.31 ( without changing anything else ), i can only
> access 320x240 16 colors.
> All other modes included in XF86config are deleted ( the traces say
> mode XXxYY needs a refresh rate of ZZZ deleting ).

> Has someone already seen that problem ?
> --
> Charles-Edouard Ruault - Novita Communications

> http://www.novitacom.com

I had a problem with X with 2.0.31 but it wasn't a problem with
resolution or colors.  My X was just very unstable under the new
kernel.  It crashed very regularly.  I've heard that kernel 2.0.31 has
at least some net card driver problems so it is possible that this is
simply buggy.  I would just stick to 2.0.30 for now.  Sorry I can't be
of any further help.

Peter
Peter Larkowski

http://www.er6.eng.ohio-state.edu/~ce_larkowski

"My coat contained a furnace where there used to be a guy"
                -TMBG

2.0.31 & Matrox Millenium

Post by Joseph Yan » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

> Hi everybody,

> i've just found the following problem :
> i'm running a pp200 with adapted AHA2940UW 64MB and a Matrox Millenium
> with 2MB.
> XFree863.3.1
> When using kernel 2.0.30, X11 works fine ( i can get any screen
> resolution & bpp i want ),
> when running 2.0.31 ( without changing anything else ), i can only
> access 320x240 16 colors.
> All other modes included in XF86config are deleted ( the traces say
> mode XXxYY needs a refresh rate of ZZZ deleting ).

> Has someone already seen that problem ?

Yes I have, and I've posted to this group about it too, but have
received no reply.
My solution to this is to run SuperProbe before running X, then it will
properly
detect the Matrox card. I don't have a more elegant solution, though I
wish I did.

2.0.31 & Matrox Millenium

Post by Benjamin Redelings » Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> > i've just found the following problem :
> > i'm running a pp200 with adapted AHA2940UW 64MB and a Matrox Millenium
> > with 2MB, XFree863.3.1
> > When using kernel 2.0.30, X11 works fine ( i can get any screen
> > resolution & bpp i want ), when running 2.0.31 ( without changing anything
> > else ), i can only access 320x240 16 colors.  All other modes included in
> > XF86config are deleted ( the traces say mode XXxYY needs a refresh rate of ZZZ
> > deleting ).

> > Has someone already seen that problem ?

> Yes I have, and I've posted to this group about it too, but have
> received no reply.
> My solution to this is to run SuperProbe before running X, then it will
> properly
> detect the Matrox card. I don't have a more elegant solution, though I
> wish I did.

        Well, it seems that XFree86 isn't detecting your card correctly, so it
assumes that you have some generic card that doesn't have the capability
to handle the modes that you specified.
        Anyway, it IS possible to specify LOTS of stuff in the 'XF86Config'
file to make XFree86 recognize your card.  REALLY, it is!  Do 'man
XF86Config', and look for 'chipset'.  There are lots of nice options
near there, including some options that specify which "Clocks" your
video card handles.  Basically, when XFree86 wants to know if your card
can handle a given video mode, it checks if there is a 'clock' on the
video card that goes that fast.  (i.e. bits/second or something)
        However, I would DEFINATELY specift the 'chipset' before messing with
complicated stuff like clocks.  My Matrox Mystique board did the same
thing (though for a different reason) until I put the following line in
my /etc/XF86Config file:

Section "Device"
 ... (Other Stuff already exists, probably)
  Chipset       "mga1064sg"
EndSection

For you, the chipset will be different, but it should start with mga.  I
had a bit of a hard time figuring out what the right setting was, cuz I
called my board "Mystrique" and "mga" first, and nothing happened.
(Those aren't valid chipset names.)  I think XFree86 prints a list of
chipsets that it has been compiled to support when you run it.
        Finally, if NOTHING else works, I suppose SuperProbe is probably more
elegant than trying to manually specify 'Clocks' options in XF86Config.
But try the 'Chipset' thingy first.

Good Luck,
-BenRI

1. Matrox Millenium II && Xfree-3.3.2

I have problems with Matrox Millennium and Xfree-3.3.2.

The sreen flicker and turn black and other things,but

when I put in XFreeConfig "Option sw_cursor" (for disable

hardware cursor),everything is OK,but when i shutdown

 XFree-3.3.2 always apears the message

  "FreeFonthPath: FPE "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc" refcount

   is 2, should be 1,fixing".

 I don't know what means this messages.

 Any help is greatfully appreciated.

  Pedro Pias  (Linux - PORTUGAL)
 --------------------------------.

 Note : I compile XFree-3.3.2 with gcc-2.7.2.3 and glibc-2.0.6

2. Private LAN namesever, conflict with AUTH server?

3. Patches against 2.0.31 (Re: List of bugs in 2.0.31)

4. making another default theme & style

5. Matrox Millenium & Xaccel

6. pppd died soon

7. XFree86 & Matrox MGA Millenium

8. autofs with samba

9. Modeline for 1152x864 with Matrox Millenium & Idek VisionMaster17

10. SVGAlib & Matrox Millenium II

11. Matrox Millenium & MkLinux DR3, color problem

12. FreeBSD 2.1.5 & Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 Model A and/or Matrox MGA Millenium

13. Matrox Millenium & SVGATextMode