Can you display bmps or other in background of X?

Can you display bmps or other in background of X?

Post by Alan P. Frawe » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

        I am running openwin and want to have a graphic background. Is
there a way to do this/ like windows? Oh my, That * word...

Post by Ashley Winte » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

:       I am running openwin and want to have a graphic background. Is
: there a way to do this/ like windows? Oh my, That * word...

Yes. If you installed xv type (without quotes) "xv -root -quit picture.gif"

Post by Christian Wern » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

>    I am running openwin and want to have a graphic background. Is
> there a way to do this/ like windows? Oh my, That * word...

Hi !!

Yes it is...you can do this with xv or xsetroot...
I don't know the exact switches, but it works on my system at home
with .gif and .jpg. The only problemthat might occour is
a color-reduction to a lower number of color for the background graphics..

        Greetings
                Chris

I wanna get back inside my NEXUS....
Christian Werner

Irc    : SAS
WWW    : http://www.veryComputer.com/~wernerc/

Post by Michael Buchenried » Thu, 18 May 1995 04:00:00

>    I am running openwin and want to have a graphic background. Is
>there a way to do this/ like windows? Oh my, That * word...

Try 'man xsetroot'.

Michael

* Our continuing mission: To seek out knowledge of C, to explore strange *
* UNIX commands and to boldly code where no one has manpage 4...         *

Post by sean ut » Fri, 19 May 1995 04:00:00

>>        I am running openwin and want to have a graphic background. Is
>>there a way to do this/ like windows? Oh my, That * word...

Quote:>Try 'man xsetroot'.
>Michael

xv can put .gif and .jpg, tiff, and about a gajillion other formats on your
background also.
use

xv -root <filename here> &
perhaps placing said command in your .xinitrc

Sean

http://www.veryComputer.com/;Home of the Portland Linux Users Group
       Running Linux 1.2 Because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste
                503-777-4034 log on to new for an account
$30.00/6 month $50.00/year for shell $45.00/quarter $150.00/year SLIP/PPP

1. Display Problems Among Others Red Hat System 7.2 Plz Help

I have installed linux for quite some time but what keeps me from making it
the OS of choice is my inablity to set up the display correctly.  I have a
generic monitor (which i have the manual for) and a riva tnt 2 video card w/
32 MB's ram.  I have all the required setting by the Xconfigurator but I
have been unsuccesful in attaining the proper results.  I have also tried to
select other monitors and in some cases i get the proper display but when i
startx, the display is no longer clear (e.i. lines, multiple images, etc.).
But then if i start the terminal, su to become root and then run
Xconfigurator, the display adjusts, so i exit Xconfigurator w/out making
changes and it remains as it should be, except i have to do this evereytime
i start the x-server.

I have all the setting for my monitor
Hor. Freq        30-70
Ver. Ferq        50-120
resolution        multiple including 1024x768 / 43.5, 60, 70, 75, 85 Hz
                        1280x1024 / 60 Hz
                        Non - Interlaced

Area 300x225 mm
dot pitch 0.27 mm

I have tried editing the XFree86 file manually, i've used the Xconfigurator,
i've spent so much time on this its pathetic, but as u can see, i am really
excited about using linux

any help would be greatly appreciated, if u reply plz also forward message
to my email as i do not check this forum regularly, thank you very much for
taking the time to read this

2. XFree86 and 6 bit lcd screens

3. Display problem among others

4. a script to check for login

5. Can I prevent pinging from others and still ping others?

6. BusLogic SCSI Adapter

7. How to Convert BMPs to pixmaps

8. CA Mlink for SCO

9. How do I convert MS-Winbloze .BMPs to X bitmaps

10. Viewing JPEGS BMPS GIFS etc etc on the Dos Partition

11. Weird problem with Red Hat & Storm setup - text displays black on black background

12. displaying filename in background