Losing cursor on a Laptop - disappearing cursor

Losing cursor on a Laptop - disappearing cursor

Post by shin » Sun, 13 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm running RH5.1 on a laptop (Dell XPi) - no X as memory is low as is
swap. When using the console the cursor is very hard to follow. In
fact it's impossible to use without guessing where it is most of the
time. Occasionlly it will be in the right place !!

I've tried running the screen in different text modes (currently
running it at 80x43 but it makes no difference.

Any ideas please?
cheers
shin

Losing cursor on a Laptop - disappearing cursor

Post by Dave Thay » Tue, 15 Sep 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:>I'm running RH5.1 on a laptop (Dell XPi) - no X as memory is low as is
>swap. When using the console the cursor is very hard to follow. In
>fact it's impossible to use without guessing where it is most of the
>time. Occasionlly it will be in the right place !!

>I've tried running the screen in different text modes (currently
>running it at 80x43 but it makes no difference.

If you have SVGATextMode installed you can configure a block curser which is
nicely visible. Plus, SVGATextMode has several modes which allow text to
cover the entire screen. The default kernel drivers leave a band at the top
and the bottom of the screen on my Toshiba T400CS, but STM gives me an
easily readable 80x60x9 font which fills the screen.

your pal dave

--
Dave Thayer
Denver, Colorado USA

1. cursor font: seen in cursor.pcf

Seeking to change the cursor font (at someone else's request),  the
X-tool editres showed that I could change the outline and center colors
for the pointer by something like
    xterm -xrm
"xterm.vt100.pointerColor:red"
-xrm
"xterm.vt100.pointerColorBackground:green"
-xrm  "xterm.vt100.pointerShape:gobbler"

Using       xfd -fn cursor
 I could see possible images for cursors like "gobbler" above, but I
could not see the name "gobbler" itself.  I found "gobbler" in the
cursor's font file,
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/cursor.pcf.gz
Now, between the xfd display and looking at the tail of cursor.pcf.gz
with zless, I can make my way through possible cursor names.

IS THERE a more straight forward way to find possible cursor names?
My first guess was "xfd" might display cursor names, but it only
displays a number for the font group "cursor".

--
Jim Burt, NJ9L,         Fairfax, Virginia, USA

"If merely 'feeling good' could decide, drunkenness would be the supremely
valid human experience."      --William James, Varieties of Religious Experience

2. live voice over the internet

3. Block cursor -> underscore cursor in Xterm?

4. Libtool troubles

5. XF86 Server error: could not open default cursor font 'cursor' PLEASE HELP!

6. joining the "elite" team

7. Fatal server error: Could not open default cursor font 'cursor' ?

8. Raw Sockets + !superuser, possible?

9. Disappearing Mouse Cursor on Sol 2.4

10. the incredible disappearing cursor.

11. XFree86: Cursor disappears at high res

12. Cursor disappear

13. vi ; ^Z -> cursor disappears