More bad news for NT

Post by Bori » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
>appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
>running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.

That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.

Boris

More bad news for NT

Post by NF Steve » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>>To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
>>appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
>>running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.
>That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.

>Boris

ROTFL

Norman

More bad news for NT

Post by Jim Lew » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

>>To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
>>appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
>>running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.
>That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.

>Boris

Thank you Boris.  Always a mature, common sense approach, and
informative, helpful insights.

More bad news for NT

Post by Matthias Wark » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

It was the Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:38:03 GMT...

> Last year at Comdex, Ellison revealed plans for a database server composed of
> a minimized operating system tightly integrated with Oracle's database
> software. The architecture, then code-named Raw Iron, is now known as the
> Oracle Database Appliances. Oracle subsequently chose a scaled-down version
> of the Solaris operating system from Sun Microsystems.

Huh? Database *appliance*?
Does that mean, some kind of Oracle Fridge(TM)?

A HyperQube?

Damn. This world gets cooler and cooler everyday. Databases as
appliances.

"Gee, Jack, the old box is thrashing under the load for two months
now, could you bring another one when you're back from lunch break?"

mawa
--
The utility of a fancy Web browser is damn near zero compared with the
utility of a really good text editor.

More bad news for NT

Post by David Steube » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

-> >To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
-> >appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
-> >running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.
-> That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.

NT + MS SQL Server 7 vs Oracle8i?

Sounds like a good head to head comparison!

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

When will Altoids be available in 'extra strength'?

More bad news for NT

Post by b.. » Fri, 12 Feb 1999 04:00:00

:
: Last year at Comdex, Ellison revealed plans for a database server composed of
: a minimized operating system tightly integrated with Oracle's database
: software. The architecture, then code-named Raw Iron, is now known as the
: Oracle Database Appliances. Oracle subsequently chose a scaled-down version
: of the Solaris operating system from Sun Microsystems.
:

The man from Oracle who visited our company today tried to sell
us one of those (despite the fact that they aren't avaible yet)...
He also told us that there's a hefty chunk of Linux code in the
Raw Iron code - I wonder whether they will play fair and make available
the appropriate portions of the source code?
--

Boudewijn Rempt  | www.xs4all.nl/~bsarempt

More bad news for NT

Post by t.. » Sat, 13 Feb 1999 04:00:00

On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:44:32 -0800, "Boris"

>>To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
>>appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
>>running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.
>That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.

>Boris

Don't you see the connection...Microsoft runs better on microsoft
OS's.  Nothing else can compeat.  Microsoft on MAC OS can't even
compeat with Microsoft on Mocrosoft OS.

But MySQL on linux outperforms MS/SQL on WinNT ( pent 90 linux, pent
233 NT and MySQL is still faster at least in small business databases)

Havent had to opertunity to try MS/SQL with my 200+MB databases which
is slow no matter what. wrote my own software for that so the files on
the HD are gziped down to 90MB and all processing ( queries ) is done
via shell scripts. Let's see DBM done using batch files in NT
accessable through simple telnet. :-)

More bad news for NT

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> [...]
> > Huh? Database *appliance*?
> > Does that mean, some kind of Oracle Fridge(TM)?

> Yep.  Cool, eh?  Soon to be released: SQL/Oven, SQL/Toaster and SQL/Blender.
> They'll be available as individual packages or in the complete SQL/Kitchen
> suite.  The development kits include Pan/SQL, Pot/SQL, and Knife/SQL.  The new
> user interface is the Oracle PlaceSetting package.

Yeah, you'll be able to ask your oven what temperature you used to re-warm the
pizza last time around.

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

More bad news for NT

Post by mlw » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999 13:44:32 -0800, "Boris"

> >>To demonstrate the advantages of the platform, the demo last week showed the
> >>appliance running nearly three times faster than a server with Oracle8i
> >>running atop Windows NT on identical HP hardware.
> >That's because Oracle NT sucks. They way to go is Microsoft SQL Server 7.

> >Boris

> Don't you see the connection...Microsoft runs better on microsoft
> OS's.  Nothing else can compeat.  Microsoft on MAC OS can't even
> compeat with Microsoft on Mocrosoft OS.

> But MySQL on linux outperforms MS/SQL on WinNT ( pent 90 linux, pent
> 233 NT and MySQL is still faster at least in small business databases)

> Havent had to opertunity to try MS/SQL with my 200+MB databases which
> is slow no matter what. wrote my own software for that so the files on
> the HD are gziped down to 90MB and all processing ( queries ) is done
> via shell scripts. Let's see DBM done using batch files in NT
> accessable through simple telnet. :-)

Well I have tried MS/SQL and let me tell you, WHAT a PEICE of utter
crap!

I worked on a DICOM web image server, we used Windows NT Enterprise
Edition, IIS, and MS SQL Enterprise edition on a Pentium Pro dual
processor machine. No other extra services were installed. The SQL
server process would crash under high loads. Fortunately Microsoft has
the SQL Manager with restarts the process when it crashes!

For kicks, we ported the code to Linux using Apache and PostGreSQL.
Never a crash, never a problem, on a pentium 233 64 Meg RAM vs the dual
Pentium Pro with 128 Meg. The NT server had a 1 to 2 second deleay
before service, the Linux box was almost instantainious. The NT box, SQL
would crash periodically on the complex queries, PostGreSQL would not.

Not to mention the cost! We had to go EE because of the number of users,
at $3999 for NT and $3999 for SQL we could save $7998 for better
performance and use Linux. The only issue is acceptence of Linux, a year
ago that was a problem, but, less now.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 95, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

More bad news for NT

Post by Matthias Wark » Sun, 14 Feb 1999 04:00:00

It was the Sat, 13 Feb 1999 01:28:30 -0600...

> > [...]
> > > Huh? Database *appliance*?
> > > Does that mean, some kind of Oracle Fridge(TM)?

> > Yep.  Cool, eh?  Soon to be released: SQL/Oven, SQL/Toaster and SQL/Blender.
> > They'll be available as individual packages or in the complete SQL/Kitchen
> > suite.  The development kits include Pan/SQL, Pot/SQL, and Knife/SQL.  The new
> > user interface is the Oracle PlaceSetting package.

> Yeah, you'll be able to ask your oven what temperature you used to re-warm the
> pizza last time around.

But you'll need to do it with a syntactically correct,
standards-compliant SQL query or it just won't work.

mawa
--

Post by Bobby D. Bryan » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> [...]
> > Huh? Database *appliance*?
> > Does that mean, some kind of Oracle Fridge(TM)?

> Yep.  Cool, eh?  Soon to be released: SQL/Oven, SQL/Toaster and SQL/Blender.
> They'll be available as individual packages or in the complete SQL/Kitchen
> suite.  The development kits include Pan/SQL, Pot/SQL, and Knife/SQL.  The new
> user interface is the Oracle PlaceSetting package.

Possibly of related interest:  slashdot just reported a link to Sanyo's Y2K
compliant bread-cutting board:

http://www.sanyousa.com/products/home_appliance/small_appliance/bs-1....

Bobby Bryant
Austin, Texas

More bad news for NT

Post by Karsten M. Sel » Tue, 16 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> It was the Tue, 09 Feb 1999 19:38:03 GMT...

> > Last year at Comdex, Ellison revealed plans for a database server composed of
> > a minimized operating system tightly integrated with Oracle's database
> > software. The architecture, then code-named Raw Iron, is now known as the
> > Oracle Database Appliances. Oracle subsequently chose a scaled-down version
> > of the Solaris operating system from Sun Microsystems.

> Huh? Database *appliance*?
> Does that mean, some kind of Oracle Fridge(TM)?

I'm happy knowing that most of the contents of my current icebox could
be stored as BLOBs....

    Welchen Teil von "Gestalt" verstehen Sie nicht?

web:       http://www.netcom.com/~kmself
SAS/Linux: http://www.netcom.com/~kmself/SAS/SAS4Linux.html

 12:01am  up 3 days, 11:29,  6 users,  load average: 0.24, 0.27, 0.24

1. Linux as first OS (was Re: More bad news for NT)

Yeah... let's go the other way!  How many had used at least 10 OSes
*before* we got Linux? ;)

-Dan (of the 7-OS office)

--
Daniel Birchall, VP - Technology, Digital Facilities Management.

since a bunch of illiterates spammed it! :)  My username is djb.
http://www.scream.org/maisha/ is the Unofficial Maisha Fan Site.

2. Linux or FreeBSD?

3. NT Workstation 4.0: Bad News for Web Servers

4. problems with X

5. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

6. 2.3 -> 2.4 non standard disk partition

7. Great News/Bad news on the APS Mac

8. Filtering IP traffic from an ISDN connection?

9. 2.4.18-pre8 - Good news and bad news...

10. Good news, bad news

11. News, News, News!

12. 014 Bad Bad Bad !!! for Linux

13. Bad, bad, bad VM behaviour in 2.4.10