OS-9 & Amiga Floppy Disk Drivers

Post by jimomuraNOS.. » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 00:44:15

     I have a number of floppy disks that I need move data
from.  If I can get appropriate drivers, I can get rid of
a couple of computers immediately, which is important to
me right now.

Atari ST:

     I haven't tried the standard VFAT format on these yet,
but there is a good chance the drivers will work.  If anyone
knows of a problem (and hopefully a solution :-) I'd
appreciate hearing about it.  I'll probably try this fairly
soon.

Radio Shack Color Computer OS-9:

     This is probably going to be the hardest to get.
It is also the most important to me.  OS-9 format is
sort of a cross between a FAT format and a Unix file
system (more permissions/attributes than MS-DOS had).
I need to read 5.25" floppies in 40 and 80 track formats,
single and double sided.

     Actually, I also have some data on original Color
Computer disk format, which is MS-DOS-like.  That data
is not critical, but if I can get drivers for that, it
would also be appreciated.

Commodore Amiga:

     I have data on both the original Amiga 3.5" format
("double density" floppies) and the later "high density"
format.

     Any helps would be appreciated.  Thanks!

OS-9 & Amiga Floppy Disk Drivers

Post by bvdp.. » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 01:25:16

Check my web site. I have a peliminary program which might help you with
the os9 and coco disks. This is a read-only program and did work for me.
Your milage may vary.

http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

WWW:   http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

OS-9 & Amiga Floppy Disk Drivers

Post by Michael Blac » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 03:03:39

Quote:

> Check my web site. I have a peliminary program which might help you with
> the os9 and coco disks. This is a read-only program and did work for me.
> Your milage may vary.

> http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel

This is funny.  I read your answer first, but I didn't notice the
name.  I was going to suggest Bob van der Poel's site, figuring he
would have things in better order than whoever was answering the
original post. Then I noticed the reply was from you.

For the original poster, the site is also useful because Bob has
ported some of his OS-9 software to Linux.  I bought his Ved editor
years ago, after spending money on two other editors that I wasn't
happy with.  His was the best of the three.  One of these days, I'm
going to try it on Linux.

   Michael

Post by BenT » Sun, 16 Dec 2001 21:17:32

>      I have a number of floppy disks that I need move data
> from.  If I can get appropriate drivers, I can get rid of a couple of
> computers immediately, which is important to me right now.

Quote:> Commodore Amiga:

>      I have data on both the original Amiga 3.5" format
> ("double density" floppies) and the later "high density" format.

As for reading the Amiga disks, you're out of luck on a standard PC even
running almighty Linux - though if you replace the controller I
understand you can still use the standard PC disk drive and then
read/write Amiga disks.  This controller is called a CatWeasel.
I don't have one, I heard about it in the uae faq.

Since, to get the uae emulator going I inevitably had to fire the Amiga
up to get the HD contents, ROM etc over a null modem cable.  You can use
kermit, xmodem, TCP/IP over slip (which worked pretty well for me).

But no matter what drivers you may get hold of, a standard PC floppy
_controller_, not disk drive, can't, and probably won't ever, read Amiga
floppies.

BenT

Post by jimomuraNOS.. » Tue, 18 Dec 2001 00:08:25

> > Check my web site. I have a peliminary program which might help you with
> > the os9 and coco disks. This is a read-only program and did work for me.
> > Your milage may vary.

     That sounds good enough.  I just re-found some tape cassettes
too, so it looks like I won't be getting rid of the CoCo3 quite
yet after all, even if I copy my current floppies.  Wellllll,
maybe.  I could probably lose the cassette data without
consequence.  The OS-9 floppies are critical though.

Quote:> > http://users.uniserve.com/~bvdpoel
> This is funny.  I read your answer first, but I didn't notice the
> name.  I was going to suggest Bob van der Poel's site, figuring he
> would have things in better order than whoever was answering the
> original post. Then I noticed the reply was from you.
> For the original poster, the site is also useful because Bob has
> ported some of his OS-9 software to Linux.  I bought his Ved editor
> years ago, after spending money on two other editors that I wasn't
> happy with.  His was the best of the three.  One of these days, I'm
> going to try it on Linux.

     Yeah, I thought I recognized the name.  The Color Computer
world was so small, sometimes I can do that, despite a bad
memory.  Hi guys! :-)

Quote:> > > Commodore Amiga:
> > >      I have data on both the original Amiga 3.5" format
> > > ("double density" floppies) and the later "high density"
> > > format.

     Also thanks for BenT for the Amiga info.  I guess that'll
have to stay for a while longer too.  The data on the Amiga
was only mainly semi-critical, but on the other hand, I
think I have my best collection of programs on the Amiga
anyway, so I don't mind keeping it a bit longer.  I'll try
the Atari ST floppies and see what happens.  It looks like
that may be the only thing I can get rid of very soon.