Big HD Probs.

Post by Prasenjit Bisw » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

Hi,
  I'v got a WD 1.2 Gig and an IBM 1.0 Gig that linux can read.
I think this is because I use a program at boot up that lets
DOS/Win95/Win.... read the drives. Linux recognises this as type 54
in fdisk. OS/2 Warp Fdisk can't recognise this either. When I
tried partitioning one of the drives with linux fdisk (by deleting
the contents), it still didn't work under DOS. I am not yet inter-
ested in giving a WHOLE Gig to Linux, as I need to run DOS/Win95/WFW
311, ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE APPRECIATED.

P.S. My BIOS only supports 2 HDs so I can put my 1 gig in Duplex mode
    (split into two 500's).

Thanx a bunch,

Biswas

Big HD Probs.

Post by Mark Lo » Wed, 16 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Hi,
>  I'v got a WD 1.2 Gig and an IBM 1.0 Gig that linux can read.
>I think this is because I use a program at boot up that lets
>DOS/Win95/Win.... read the drives. Linux recognises this as type 54

Type 54 is "Ontrack Disk Manager v6.03".

This is not supported by linux kernels in the 1.2.xx stream.

If you really want to use it, then one option is to upgrade your
kernel to the development stream, 1.3.14 or higher, which has support
for "type 54".

-ml
--

For Linux IDE (big/many) help, see:  /usr/src/linux/drivers/block/README.ide
For latest Linux kernels: ftp.cs.helsinki.fi:/pub/Software/Linux/Kernel/v1.[23]

1. 2 Probs: Reveal cdrom and big IDE hd...

I have 2 main problems with my installation right now (or lack
thereof)

First, I need a driver for Reveal R420 [Goldstar] roms under 1.2.13 -
there is a driver in some of the 1.3.xx series, but I need to start
with 1.2.13 [or a boot image for 1.3.whatever that includes it and ATI
mouse drivers..]  Help?

The other [equally pressing] problem is I can't get 1.2.13 to work
with my large IDE drive.  I tried everything I could think of - began
by following the big-IDE how-to to the letter [bios settings, ramdisk
hd= .. append in lilo.conf, etc etc etc..]  as well as every
combination I could think of of bios settings, lilo settings, etc..
Nothing.  Right now its stable somewhere in the middle, at least so
far as I can get a LILO boot: prompt, but booting Linux gives me lots
of 0x00 errors.  <shrug> thats the best I could get out of it...

Again, PLEASE HELP!  {And cc a copy of any replies to me in email at

news due to work... THANKS!}

2. Strange problems with RedHat

3. Big (REALLY BIG) HD storage & Linux

4. Non-blocking writing on a Named pipe

5. Big Big Big CORE Image !!

6. __phread_mutex_owner64

7. I have a BIG, BIG,BIG problem with DOSEMU 0.98.5.

8. decompressing files

9. Big, Big Very BIG SCSI DISK

10. How big a HD for Linux box?

11. SoftUpdate + BIG hd