help on how-to setup Class-Based Queueing (CBQ)

help on how-to setup Class-Based Queueing (CBQ)

Post by Hung Ngoc La » Tue, 18 Sep 2001 01:56:28

Hi Everyone,

I am setting up a small network for a non-profit
organization (my church) so that people there have
access through the Internet via cable modem
(Road Runner). The linux box (Redhat Linux 7.1 with
kernel 2.4.9) is acting as a gateway between the
private network and the Internet.  I am running
netfilter (aka iptables) so that our private network
(about 30 machines) can access the Internet.

Here is the setup of our network:

Private network: 172.16.1.0/24

Linux gateway inside interface:  172.16.1.1 (eth0)
Linux gateway outside interface: 199.0.216.250 (ethe1)

Everything is working properly.  Now I would like
to implement Class-Based Queueing (CBQ).  I would like
to achieve the following:

Inbound traffic:
50% of the bandwidth will be reserved for http traffic,
30% of the bandwidth will be reserved for ftp traffic,
20% of the bandwidth will be reserved for telnet traffic

Outbound traffic:
50% of the bandwidth will be reserved for http traffic,
30% of the bandwidth will be reserved for instant
messaging traffic,
20% of the bandwidth will be reserved for everything else,

I've recompiled the kernel with CBQ; however, I've spent
the past 3 months to read various books and articles on
the Internet but not getting much to show for.  I am sure
this must have been done before.  Can someone be kindly
show me how to do this?  An example or a sample
configuration on how this can be done would be great.
I really like to help out my church 'cause they just
don't have the resources to hire outside consultants.
I've volunteered my time to maintain their network
whenever possible.

Thanks.
David

Post by Michae » Thu, 20 Sep 2001 16:51:07

> Hi Everyone,

> I am setting up a small network for a non-profit
> organization (my church) so that people there have
> access through the Internet via cable modem
> (Road Runner). The linux box (Redhat Linux 7.1 with
> kernel 2.4.9) is acting as a gateway between the
> private network and the Internet.  I am running
> netfilter (aka iptables) so that our private network
> (about 30 machines) can access the Internet.

> Here is the setup of our network:

> Private network: 172.16.1.0/24

> Linux gateway inside interface:  172.16.1.1 (eth0)
> Linux gateway outside interface: 199.0.216.250 (ethe1)

> Everything is working properly.  Now I would like
> to implement Class-Based Queueing (CBQ).  I would like
> to achieve the following:

> Inbound traffic:
> 50% of the bandwidth will be reserved for http traffic,
> 30% of the bandwidth will be reserved for ftp traffic,
> 20% of the bandwidth will be reserved for telnet traffic

> Outbound traffic:
> 50% of the bandwidth will be reserved for http traffic,
> 30% of the bandwidth will be reserved for instant
> messaging traffic,
> 20% of the bandwidth will be reserved for everything else,

> I've recompiled the kernel with CBQ; however, I've spent
> the past 3 months to read various books and articles on
> the Internet but not getting much to show for.  I am sure
> this must have been done before.  Can someone be kindly
> show me how to do this?  An example or a sample
> configuration on how this can be done would be great.
> I really like to help out my church 'cause they just
> don't have the resources to hire outside consultants.
> I've volunteered my time to maintain their network
> whenever possible.

> Thanks.
> David

Hi,

I have set up a CBQ  box and it worked fine. However you use the firewall
to mark the packets to put them into the right queues and the firewall
knows nothing about html or ftp only ip-protocols are known.
I can send you my scripts ( I have to search them again:), which you can
change.

For the protocol stuff ( delegating html and ftp different) I don't know
how to do it at the moment. Maybe setting up virtual ip adresses for the
NIC and using an application level proxy like delegate (www.delegate.org)
to send various protocol to different ip adresses. then using the firewall
to mark the packets base on their ip adress.

regards,
Michael

1. help on how-to setup Class-Based Queueing (CBQ)

[...]

2. How to dual boot Linux and Win95, but with a small wrinkle...

3. Two network cards, one with DHCP

4. help with Class Based Queuing (CBQ)

5. HELP WANTED

6. Need XConfig Help for Dell Inspiron 5000

7. HELP (how-to): SnapGear (embedded Linux) Firewall config for public class c network

8. Help: setup name-based or port-based virtual web host.

9. QoS and/or fair queueing - package iproute2+tc (CBQ, CSZ, PRIO etc...)