"Formatting swap space" never finishes!

Post by kev » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm installing Red Hat 6.2.

I'm at the point where Disk Druid is formatting all the partitions. It
has done several partitions and has now hit the swap partition. On my
screen I have a dialog box which says "Formatting swap space on
/dev/sda7", it has been there about two hours and shows no sign of
finishing. It is of course the smallest partition (512Mb), but it seemed
to successfully format all the other partitions (although perhaps slower
than I expected, it didn't take anything like this length of time to
format a 10Gb partition).

Anyone had this problem before? What was the cuase and how did you fix
it?

thanks,

- Kev

"Formatting swap space" never finishes!

Post by sjarc.. » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,
> I'm installing Red Hat 6.2.
> I'm at the point where Disk Druid is formatting all the partitions. It
> has done several partitions and has now hit the swap partition. On my
> screen I have a dialog box which says "Formatting swap space on
> /dev/sda7", it has been there about two hours and shows no sign of
> finishing. It is of course the smallest partition (512Mb), but it seemed
> to successfully format all the other partitions (although perhaps slower
> than I expected, it didn't take anything like this length of time to
> format a 10Gb partition).

Try to switch to other consoles and watch for fdisk messages.

Sergiusz

Post by Robert Ham » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

:
: I'm at the point where Disk Druid is formatting all the partitions. It
: has done several partitions and has now hit the swap partition. On my
: screen I have a dialog box which says "Formatting swap space on
: /dev/sda7", it has been there about two hours and shows no sign of
: finishing. It is of course the smallest partition (512Mb), but it seemed
: to successfully format all the other partitions (although perhaps slower
: than I expected, it didn't take anything like this length of time to
: format a 10Gb partition).

There used to be a restriction on how big the swap partition was
allowed to be.  That was 128 MB.  I don't know whether that's still
the case.  If it is you could split your 512 MB into two and use both
of them as swaps.

rh

Post by Tony Nevill » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I'm installing Red Hat 6.2.

> I'm at the point where Disk Druid is formatting all the partitions. It
> has done several partitions and has now hit the swap partition. On my
> screen I have a dialog box which says "Formatting swap space on
> /dev/sda7", it has been there about two hours and shows no sign of
> finishing. It is of course the smallest partition (512Mb), but it seemed
> to successfully format all the other partitions (although perhaps slower
> than I expected, it didn't take anything like this length of time to
> format a 10Gb partition).

> Anyone had this problem before? What was the cuase and how did you fix it?

The mkswap command is used to initialise the swap partition.   I use
the word "initialise" rather than "format" because the swap area isn't
something one can associate with a  filesystem like ext2, minix, vfat..
etc.   I just place it under the What-The-Hell-Is-That?! category.

By the time RedHat is installed and running, the swap partition should
have been initialised and made active for you.

Cheers,
             Tony

1. plenty of swap space, but keep receiving error "swap space limit exceeded"

Syslog reports
  unix: WARNING: /tmp: File system full, swap space limit exceeded

But

  Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
  swap                 2423720   48480 2375240     3%    /tmp

The host:
  SunOS <hostname> 5.7 Generic_106541-16 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-60

I ran vmstat 1 for some time and watched for available swap space to
go to zero. But the lowest it would go is 75kB.

When analyzing this problem, I ran into the following error twice, but
for different commands:
  Can't run command <command>
  fork(2) failed; no more memory

What's going on?

Thanks.

2. error loading libpcap

3. Try to mount a seocn SWAP space-- error" unable to find swap space signature"

4. The Cost of RAM

6. simple http request - what's wrong with it?

8. Want linux ... now!

9. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

10. Swapping the function keys "Ctrl" and "Compose Character"

11. Help: "unallocated sectors", "unknown system for swap partition".

12. question obout "vmstat" and "sar -r" "swap -l"

13. bootdisk "crc error" or "invalid compressed format"?