Attention James M Crow!!!!!

Post by Mentzi » Fri, 22 May 1998 04:00:00

James, I tried to reply to your email address, it may have got eaten in
translation... I tried to send you my Xserver + XF86Config file, as
requested, but it bounced. Please write back with your address spelled
out as per my reply to ( no doubts then )

Sean

--

Linux, Something GNU to say
===========================

1. AIX Paging - maybe eating crow...

I am trying to find 'definitive' words about AIX paging,  but for now, I will eat
crow (in garlic sauce) and give you some info from a friend of mine who has been
in AIX for a good number of years and used to teach VM internals with me - so I
trust his knowledge.
For some reason, he entered his data in upper case - so don't yell at me....

does aix do anything smart like writing pages to area with shortest i/o
queue?  or is it really as simple minded as documentation would
indicate - that is a round robin approach.

ROUND ROBIN AS FAR AS I KNOW.  PAGING IN GENERAL IS DISCOURAGED.
RECOMMENDATION IS TO BUY ENOUGH RAM TO HOLD YOUR APPS, APP WORKING
STORAGE AND FILE I/O SINCE FILE I/O IS HANDLED BY THE PAGING SUBSYSTEM.
SINCE RAM IS CHEAP TODAY THIS IS EVEN MORE THE REASON TO GO WITH THE
RECOMMENDATION.   STOP PAGING, BUY RAM.  UNIX PAGING WAS DESIGNED AS A
SAFETY DEVICE.  IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO BE USED.  THIS EXPLAINS WHY NO
EFFORT WAS EVER PUT INTO MAKING IT EFFICIENT.  THERE IS ALSO NOTHING
ANALOGOUS TO MVS SWAPPING.

Any thoughts on validity of equal size areas for page?  I think it is
garbage.

ALLOCATION IS ROUND ROBIN UNTIL THE SMALLER AREA FILLS UP.  THE ONLY REAL
BENEFIT IS THAT YOU SPREAD THE PAGING I/O ACROSS MORE THAN ONE DEVICE.

--
Norman Levin   - to send a NEW note to me, click on the following line:
mailto:%6E%6F%72%6D%61%6E%6C%65%76%69%6E%40%61%74%74%67%6C%6F%62%61%6C%2E%6E%65%7

2. DEC Alpha PC port - something to look into?

3. Denver/Phoenix-UNIX/Solaris Sys/Adm--Internet Provider-CONTRACT-Raymond James Consulting Firm

4. md: state db replicas assymetrical

5. As wrongly as James crawls, you can train the cable

6. DC10+ with Linux

7. A message for James Dumbovan

8. CD-ROM bootable SCSI

9. James

10. Denver/Phoenix-UNIX/Solaris Sys/Adm--Internet Provider-CONTRACT-Raymond James Consulting Firm

11. Even James Bond uses MSFT !!

12. James Gosling claims he created Emacs.

13. ICE.TCP by James River Group question